carry-on electric shaver?

Subscribe
Are electric shavers allowed in carry-on luggage world wide? There must be some kind of sharp thing in them, but I don't know what airport security thinks about them.

Something like this for instance: http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/4...egral+6525.jpg
I haven't had a problem with my electric shaver (Norelco). But, with TSA, any time, anywhere, anything can present a problem for some TSOs. Luck of the draw, on the spot rule interpretation, SSI, whatever.
Quote: Are electric shavers allowed in carry-on luggage world wide? There must be some kind of sharp thing in them, but I don't know what airport security thinks about them.

Something like this for instance: http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/4...egral+6525.jpg
You'll be fine.
I've never had a problem with an electric shaver in carry-on luggage. Frankly, the "blades" on such shavers are so tiny that I can't see way it could be seen as a weapon.

("Divert this plane to Ecuador or I'll shave your head bald!")
I've brought disposable razors w/o a problem. I can't imagine electric razors being worse.
I've carried mine on on every flight I've ever taken as an adult.

Only once did it get looked at, well before 9/11: It was a family emergency situation, I had quickly thrown what I needed into a carry-on with no thought as to neat packing. It wasn't anywhere near full, the stuff shifted. Razor power cord, toothbrush power cord and cell phone charger all in a pile with the razor caused a confusing mass that X-ray couldn't figure out and so they had to open it and have a look.

These days I make sure it's fully charged before I leave, I don't carry the charger anymore. Non-issue.

With mine at least you have to expose the sharp stuff in order to clean it properly. The blades are well under 1/4" each and have many other blades at the same height but different orientations. It would be hard to inflict more than the slightest of cuts with it.
We see them all the time, and never stop them unless they have been modified or tampered with in some way. Never seen one that has been, but you never know. Anyway, you should be fine with it. Have a good trip.
Quote: We see them all the time, and never stop them unless they have been modified or tampered with in some way. Never seen one that has been, but you never know.
Im trying to think how a modified Norelco could be a threat to commercial aviation. Do you have any links?
Quote: Im trying to think how a modified Norelco could be a threat to commercial aviation.
I know it's easy to pick on TSORon, but he's got a point here.

It wouldn't be that difficult to take an electric shaver and take all the electrical stuff out of the inside. Now, you've got a nice hollow container, inside which you could put ... oh, I don't know, 3.5oz of hand lotion or something like that.

Seriously, though ... as long as the X-ray reveals something that looks like an ordinary electric shaver, I'm sure it won't be an issue.
Quote: Im trying to think how a modified Norelco could be a threat to commercial aviation. Do you have any links?
Sure, if you have the time to both read and imagine.

"IED Overview

An IED can be almost anything with any type of material and initiator. It is a homemade device that is designed to cause death or injury by using explosives alone or in combination with toxic chemicals, biological toxins, or radiological material. IEDs can be produced in varying sizes, functioning methods, containers, and delivery methods. IEDs can utilize commercial or military explosives, homemade explosives, or military ordnance and ordnance components."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/ied.htm