Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quotes for TSA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Quotes for TSA

We end the briefings at my airport with a "quote of the day." It's meant to be something insightful, inspirational, thought provoking, or just something to build morale. We've also been asked to submit quotes to be featured as the "quote of the day." I've been introduced to a few I like from Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller:

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." – (Talbot in Maid of Orleans)
"The voice of the majority is no proof of justice." (Sapieha, in: Demetrius)
"Live with your century but do not be its creature." (From On the Aesthetic Education of Man.)

Any other suggestions?
Old May 1, 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by spotnik
We end the briefings at my airport with a "quote of the day." It's meant to be something insightful, inspirational, thought provoking, or just something to build morale. We've also been asked to submit quotes to be featured as the "quote of the day." I've been introduced to a few I like from Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller:

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." – (Talbot in Maid of Orleans)
"The voice of the majority is no proof of justice." (Sapieha, in: Demetrius)
"Live with your century but do not be its creature." (From On the Aesthetic Education of Man.)

Any other suggestions?
You are a trusting soul, aren't you?

The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns as it were instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish spurting out ink.

George Orwell "Politics and the English Language", 1946
Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought.

Albert Guerard
Be careful that victories do not carry the seed of future defeats.

Ralph W. Sockman
We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.

Abigail Adams (1744 - 1818), letter to John Adams, 1774
People ask for criticism, but they only want praise.

W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.

C. P. Snow (1905 - 1980)

Last edited by Trollkiller; May 1, 2009 at 1:32 am
Old May 1, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Sorry, spotnik, but I can't resist. You can do them one at a time if you want, but there will be a quiz later.

Originally Posted by Bill of Rights of the United States of America
Amendment [ I ]
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment [ II ]
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment [ III ]
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment [ IV ]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment [ V ]
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb;
nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.

Amendment [ VI ]
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining Witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defence.

Amendment [ VII ]
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment [ VIII ]
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment [ IX ]
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment [ X ]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:12 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 7:55 am
Old May 1, 2009, 5:19 am

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

- Mother Teresa
Old May 1, 2009, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Given the 'war on liquids,' how can you not include Frank Zappa? (I think it was him):

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
Old May 1, 2009, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by polonius
Given the 'war on liquids,' how can you not include Frank Zappa? (I think it was him):

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
I'll chip in...

"Now I know where all the rancid people who used to go to the Filmore East have moved." is my personal favorite Frank Zappa comment, to an audience at a concert in Boston, when there were song requests in the opening moments.

Though: "If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." is a close second.

Where is my luggage? "It was eaten by snakes."

or "They're lying and lazy, they're driving me crazy" from the same song...

There are many lines in Frank Zappa songs that could be adopted as excuses or motto's by TSA.^^^
Old May 1, 2009, 8:19 am
Suspended

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old May 1, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
The sky is falling. Chicken Little

When in trouble
When in doubt
Run in circles
Scream and shout
Old May 1, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JSmith1969
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
You beat me to it.

But if the TSA is relying on inspirational quotes to boost morale, it's in even more trouble than I thought.

Mike
Old May 1, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
2 + 2 = 5, Water is a High Explosive, War is Peace

Are you allowed to read from the War on (insert favorite here) Manifesto?

“Even the humblest Party member is expected to be competent, industrious, and even intelligent within narrow limits, but it is also necessary that he should be a credulous and ignorant fanatic whose prevailing moods are fear, hatred, adulation, and orgiastic triumph*.

In other words it is necessary that he should have the mentality appropriate to a state of war. It does not matter whether the war is actually happening, and, since no decisive victory is possible, it does not matter whether the war is going well or badly. All that is needed is that a state of war should exist.”

George Orwell, 1984

* Note: Per SSI union rules, TSO's are limited to 3 minute orgiastic triumphs after a Big Catch™ of a drug or cash carrier. Flash pin not included.

Alternatively, you could end your briefings with the same slogan you begin it with. A rousing group chant of "I Love Big Brother"
Old May 1, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
From Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

. . . Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die . . .

or not fly today
Old May 1, 2009, 10:41 am

A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he gets to know something. --Wilson Mizner

To listen closely and reply well is the highest perfection we are able to attain in the art of conversation. --Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Doing more things faster is no substitute for doing the right things. --Stephen R. Covey

It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it. --W. Somerset Maugham

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else. --Yogi Berra

Behold the turtle. He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out. --James Bryant Conant, Past President of Harvard University

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently. --Warren Buffett

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event -- it is a habit. --Aristotle

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. --A. Maslow

In great affairs men show themselves as they wish to be seen; in small things they show themselves as they are. --Nicholas Chamfort
Old May 1, 2009, 11:06 am

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. --Anon.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
- Albert Einstein

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
- Carl Sagan

"In any contest between power and patience, bet on patience."
- W.B. Prescott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.