FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   roll of aluminum foil in suitcase - security issue? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/949854-roll-aluminum-foil-suitcase-security-issue.html)

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 11:09 am

roll of aluminum foil in suitcase - security issue?

OK... so I have a friend that is going to the States and I have a funky request... I want him to buy me two rolls of aluminum foil and bring them back to EZE... he would just put them in his suitcase. Im worried that the rolls of aluminum will come out like two cylinders on the X-ray machine and cause the security gurus to go bezerk.... what do you all think..?

Perhaps Im being too fussy abou this...? But I do not want to inconvenience my friend.

Thanks for any tips or advice you all could give.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

HereAndThereSC May 2, 2009 11:10 am

They may have a second look, but there's nothing illegal about foil. It's not a big deal.

HTSC

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 11:18 am

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC (Post 11682736)
They may have a second look, but there's nothing illegal about foil. It's not a big deal.

HTSC

Hmmmm.... yeah, thats what I thought, thing is, if they have a second look, will they open the bags on their own or do they call the pax and all that..... again, Im worried about not wanting this to be a pain in the arse for him.

Do you have to go over to the security screening area before you leave for boarding as when all the post 9/11 things started or has this routine been eliminated when you fly internationally out of the USA...??

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 11:24 am

BTW... nothing beats Reynolds foil... they have a quality that cannot be found easily. All the local brands are a joke (bad joke that is).

MoreMilesPlease May 2, 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 11682771)
Hmmmm.... yeah, thats what I thought, thing is, if they have a second look, will they open the bags on their own or do they call the pax and all that..... again, Im worried about not wanting this to be a pain in the arse for him.

Do you have to go over to the security screening area before you leave for boarding as when all the post 9/11 things started or has this routine been eliminated when you fly internationally out of the USA...??

If they are checked bags. TSA just opens them and leaves a little note saying they did. No need to find the passenger. Of course, make sure any locks are "TSA Approved" if they're goning to lock the bags.

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease (Post 11682862)
If they are checked bags. TSA just opens them and leaves a little note saying they did. No need to find the passenger. Of course, make sure any locks are "TSA Approved" if they're goning to lock the bags.

OK... will do that. Thanks.

wharvey May 2, 2009 12:03 pm

Gaucho,

Could your friend fit them in the carry on baggage? That way, no worry about checked luggage problems.

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 11683089)
Gaucho,

Could your friend fit them in the carry on baggage? That way, no worry about checked luggage problems.

Yeah.... that could be an option, although I think that the large roll of 18" heavy duty foil should be quite heavy, or....? :p

jerry crump May 2, 2009 1:11 pm

If he wants to have fun have him wrap everything in his bag with it. Otherwise it should be uneventful.

I asked an old welder one time his strangest job. He said he had a guy worried about aliens have him fit a lead seat into his car that he had melted together. The guy was concerned about beams that aliens were sending at him.

Your friend can use that excuse for wrapping the clothes.

N965VJ May 2, 2009 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 11683089)
Gaucho,

Watch out for the “serrated” piece of metal on the box that cuts the foil. The might be some selective enforcement by the TSA.

Ocn Vw 1K May 2, 2009 1:25 pm

Let's move to our Travel Safety/Security forum for added discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Gaucho100K May 2, 2009 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 11683379)
Watch out for the “serrated” piece of metal on the box that cuts the foil. The might be some selective enforcement by the TSA.

Hmmm.... good point. Those TSA guys do drive me crazy... :mad:

etch5895 May 2, 2009 1:49 pm

Is the aluminum foil to be used for the making of hats? Because everyone knows that only good old fashioned American aluminum foil really gets the job done when it comes to blocking those harmful rays.

galeaoguy May 2, 2009 3:42 pm

It won't be a problem, I routinely bring household goods from the US to GIG. Fantastic cleaner, Dawn dish washing liquid, Downy fabric softener, bar soap, plastic wrap, Johnson's liquid baby soap, toothpaste... etc. etc.. AND aluminum foil.. and Reynolds is the brand of choice...

I had a small box (size of a video cassette) of modeling clay for my wife that disappeared on my last trip a couple of weeks ago.. TSA in BOS opened both my suitcases.. they even checked my carry on because I had a 16 inch Infant Jesus of Prague statue they wanted to examine more closely.. good for them they didn't drop that

Flaflyer May 2, 2009 4:05 pm

You made somebody's day

Originally Posted by galeaoguy (Post 11683841)
I had a small box (size of a video cassette) of modeling clay for my wife that disappeared on my last trip a couple of weeks ago..

My you like to live dangerously and tempt a trip to Gitmo. :D I'll guess that modeling clay has the same density as peanut butter, which on the TSA Xray false color display happens to look identical to C4, which comes in blocks about the size of a video cassette. . . :eek:

Either that, or the screener break room needed some educational materials beyond the TDC highlighter coloring supplies. :rolleyes: