Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is Rogaine allowed in either carry-on or checked baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I am about to take a long vacation and would like to take my Rogaine with me. Could anyone please tell me that if it is allowed in either carry-on baggage or checked? I am sure the individiual container is <3oz and can fit into a zip bag. My question is the product is said to be flammable... besides, the new Rogaine Foam is said to be EXTREMELY flammable... so I am confused if I'll have problems with the secuirity checks...

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gemini_ii
Hi guys,

I am about to take a long vacation and would like to take my Rogaine with me. Could anyone please tell me that if it is allowed in either carry-on baggage or checked? I am sure the individiual container is <3oz and can fit into a zip bag. My question is the product is said to be flammable... besides, the new Rogaine Foam is said to be EXTREMELY flammable... so I am confused if I'll have problems with the secuirity checks...

Thanks.
if it's less than 3.0oz, just put it in your freedom baggie and be done with it as no one is gonna question it. if greater than 3.0oz, just put it in your checked bags and that's it as he||, even a can of hair spray is flammable as are most "contents under pressure".

oh, and welcome to flyertalk ^
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:45 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
The TSA permits "All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;... However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer."

Rogaine is an OTC medication. End of story. Of course the TSA policy I quoted means that all toothpastes with fluoride are allowed, regardless of the container volume, but that directly contradicts their statement that "Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed." They allow 4oz+ fluoridated toothpaste, but do not allow it.

Of course this is the TSA; the people that can't figure out that tsa.gov should probably redirect to www.tsa.gov when making an http request.

Last edited by ralfp; Apr 21, 2009 at 10:03 am Reason: Formatting
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Good to know that. Very helpful. Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 2P
Be prepared with a printout of the TSA web page.

Sadly the TSA folks (especially at contract stations like SFO) often don't know their own rules and regulations. Don't be afraid to stand your ground if they try to tell you it's not allowed.

Simply refer to the TSA policy and insist they follow it.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
Sadly the TSA folks (especially at contract stations like SFO) often don't know their own rules and regulations. Don't be afraid to stand your ground if they try to tell you it's not allowed.

Simply refer to the TSA policy and insist they follow it.
With regards to toothpaste, that would require them to confiscate (sorry, request that you surrender) the item, as well as require them to allow it through.

If the TSA rules are self-contradictory; how can we expect the front-line staff to follow the rules?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ralfp
With regards to toothpaste, that would require them to confiscate (sorry, request that you surrender) the item, as well as require them to allow it through.
While you and I read the rules that way, it is possible that the TSA, if they had to make a ruling, would simply say that toothpaste, even fluoridated, is not an OTC medication?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cparekh
While you and I read the rules that way, it is possible that the TSA, if they had to make a ruling, would simply say that toothpaste, even fluoridated, is not an OTC medication?
They cannot do that. AFAIK fluoridated toothpaste is an OTC med. Only the FDA can change that.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
They cannot do that. AFAIK fluoridated toothpaste is an OTC med. Only the FDA can change that.
The FD-Who? They have no authority in airports.

Besides, the magic badge that the Storm Troopers wear gives them the ability to discern what really is and isn't a medication. Their nemesis, Toothpaste, is a problem because of his ability to shift between medication and non-medication at will.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:38 am

I have a costco sealed box of 6 2 oz bottles.... do you think I can leave it in my carry on luggage, I should get tsa pre check but they doesn't change restrictions, just don't have to remove
Old May 22, 2015, 4:49 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Be careful if the product is in an aerosol can. Because even though it may be a medication, TSA may say that the "no aerosol can in your carry-on" rule trumps the medication allowed rule. Aerosol cans are allowed in checked luggage in reasonable quantities (for personal use).
Old May 22, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmsnyc
I have a costco sealed box of 6 2 oz bottles.... do you think I can leave it in my carry on luggage, I should get tsa pre check but they doesn't change restrictions, just don't have to remove
2oz bottles are fine--but in your 311 bag. Good luck getting 6 of them in there.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Be careful if the product is in an aerosol can. Because even though it may be a medication, TSA may say that the "no aerosol can in your carry-on" rule trumps the medication allowed rule. Aerosol cans are allowed in checked luggage in reasonable quantities (for personal use).
There's no ban on aerosols in carry-ons, they just have the same (silly) restrictions as liquids.

"3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.