Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris - shell game scam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Of course I know all these things - and I can't believe I was SO stupid. I was exhausted and ignored the voices in my head saying don't take your money out, if you've won why do you have to give them money, etc.

I''m a pretty experienced traveler which only makes me more ashamed to have fallen for the chorus of "you've won" all around - and of course if I hadn't been greedy (expecting something for nothing) and so tired I might have listened to myself!

The sad part is that the police know where these games are held (I had been walking in a "bad" part or town - unknowingly - where there were prostitutes on the street - and I mentioned to the police that the women seemed nice and nonthreatening - they agreed but said that in that area bad people are attracted to the area - Rue St. Denis) and with a little undercover work could probably clean the area up - but that's another story.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by estnet
The sad part is that the police know where these games are held (I had been walking in a "bad" part or town - unknowingly - where there were prostitutes on the street - and I mentioned to the police that the women seemed nice and nonthreatening - they agreed but said that in that area bad people are attracted to the area - Rue St. Denis) and with a little undercover work could probably clean the area up - but that's another story.
Perhaps the cops get a cut of the action?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting thought..... but I didn't get that feeling in Paris.

I certainly did years ago when a friend was ripped off in Turkey by a group who staged a fight while my friend was separated from me and surrounded by a group (of pickpockets). There the police seemed MUCH more interested in how much was taken exactly and they even said they KNEW who the people were (so why hadn't they arrested them?).
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
There's substantial archeological evidence that locals were operaing shell games in the outer courtyard of the Temple in Jerusalem contemporary with Christ, but that he ignored them, proceeding inside to harass the money changers. The last arrests authorized by Louis XVI were for a family of refugee Albanians running a shell game across from the Bastille. Don't you recall that famous French ditty, "Malbrouk se va ten shellgame"? Henri of Navarre did not say that "Paris is worth a Mass!", but "Paris is a mess, flooded with shell games and strange NAfricans selling little fluttering aircraft."
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
How about some Three Card Monte?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:41 am

I lost €100 to shell game while I already knew it's a scam

I lost 100 euros to the three shell game at the bridge near Eiffel Tower.
The first moment I saw it I knew it's a scam because I watched a magic show including the same kind of trick before, I was attracted to stop and watched it because I was wondering 'there are scams in Paris, how the fools' lost money'.
In the end, I became the fool. I never want to participate it, but they targeted on me. In one round, first person(of course who is on the scam) lost the money, they suddenly pointed to me and said I'm the winner. I, a short girl traveling alone, was too shocked and my mind didn't work functionally at that moment. The scammer put 200 euros in my hand and asked me to show €100 so the money will be mine. I refused twice to play and tried to give the €200 back to the scammer but it didn't work. Another young girl (of course who is on the scam too) standing besides, kept saying 'you are winning'. My stupid, then i decided to show him €50 but I took out 2*€50 from wallet. I didn't have a chance to put back 1 note of €50. The scammer just swiftly grabbed all of my money from my hand. Then scammer urged me to turn over the black card (if it's white, you will win but obviously I can never find the white one), I refused again and asked my money back, he said no. I was too shocked and scared so I had to turn over the card, of course it's black.
That's how I lost €100 while I already knew it's a scam.
I felt really upset and blamed myself should not be attracted by curiosity.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Rime
I lost 100 euros to the three shell game at the bridge near Eiffel Tower.
The first moment I saw it I knew it's a scam because I watched a magic show including the same kind of trick before, I was attracted to stop and watched it because I was wondering 'there are scams in Paris, how the fools' lost money'.
In the end, I became the fool. I never want to participate it, but they targeted on me. In one round, first person(of course who is on the scam) lost the money, they suddenly pointed to me and said I'm the winner. I, a short girl traveling alone, was too shocked and my mind didn't work functionally at that moment. The scammer put 200 euros in my hand and asked me to show €100 so the money will be mine. I refused twice to play and tried to give the €200 back to the scammer but it didn't work. Another young girl (of course who is on the scam too) standing besides, kept saying 'you are winning'. My stupid, then i decided to show him €50 but I took out 2*€50 from wallet. I didn't have a chance to put back 1 note of €50. The scammer just swiftly grabbed all of my money from my hand. Then scammer urged me to turn over the black card (if it's white, you will win but obviously I can never find the white one), I refused again and asked my money back, he said no. I was too shocked and scared so I had to turn over the card, of course it's black.
That's how I lost €100 while I already knew it's a scam.
I felt really upset and blamed myself should not be attracted by curiosity.
Really only one person to blame, here. At least you got a good story out of it.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:59 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Really only one person to blame, here. At least you got a good story out of it.
Wonder what they would do if you don't carry cash.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
closing this old thread

thanks
Not much to do with travel safety and security - best posted in the destination forums!

squeakr
co Mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.