Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what does customs check on your passport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:03 am
Original Poster

what does customs check on your passport

first of all i'm an american. good ol' southern white girl. got a warrant out in texas for a probation violation that i skipped out on seeing the judge about and went out of the country for about a year now. anyways, i want to come home now and i won't be flying into texas. i was thinking an airport far far away from texas. my question is what do they check at customs? will they scan my passport and see that i have an outstanding warrant in texas? does it matter if they do? will texas come and get me?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Methinks you should get in touch with an attorney.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Or they might just nab you when your passport is scanned on exit from the EU or wherever you are.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by can54
first of all i'm an american. good ol' southern white girl. got a warrant out in texas for a probation violation that i skipped out on seeing the judge about and went out of the country for about a year now. anyways, i want to come home now and i won't be flying into texas. i was thinking an airport far far away from texas. my question is what do they check at customs? will they scan my passport and see that i have an outstanding warrant in texas? does it matter if they do? will texas come and get me?
THE INFORMATION BELOW DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE.

Yes, your outstanding warrant almost certainly is included in the database that the passport scan checks. When it pops up, CBP at whatever U.S. port of entry probably will take you into custody until Texas state officials decide whether to take custody and pursue the matter, or whether to drop it and release you.

As others have indicated, I'm frankly quite surprised that this warrant hasn't caught up with you at other border crossings. The U.S. CBP databases are supposed to be linked with INTERPOL, meaning that your outstanding warrant should pop up on the screen throughout the world whenever an immigration officer scans your passport.

I agree with others: contact an attorney to look into the matter.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:12 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Did not know that "good ol' southern girls" violated probation.... or even did anything to get probation....

Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:33 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by wharvey
Did not know that "good ol' southern girls" violated probation.... or even did anything to get probation....
Obviously you and I travel to different parts of the south
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

Why not just take care of your warrant ?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Why not just take care of your warrant ?
If she is out of the US (and Texas), how can she do this without returning to the US?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Knowingly absconding from a probation violation warrant -- if that is what you did -- wasn't the most sensible thing to do as it will only work against you in trying to get the matter legally resolved. But that's a done deed. Now you should get an attorney in Texas lined up and have the lawyer work on the matter to get it cleared up or advise you on what your next steps should/could be and what are the costs and benefits of whatever choice you make in conjunction with the attorney to resolve the matter.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Or...You can just attempt to enter the US. Don't worry, an attorney will be appointed to you at no cost to you.

Note to self, don't run from the law...
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I was hoping this would be a fun thread.

"What does customs check on your passport"

Everything but the size of your private parts. (Drum roll, please.) For that, they rely on the direct feed from the TSA backscatter xray scanner. (Badda bing!)

Seriously, if I to enter the US and get deported to TX, I would enter in Alaska, Hawaii, or Maine. As far away as possible. Why? First, the extra cost of the cop travel and airline tickets might make them decide to not come get you. But best of all: If they do come get you, you make two TX detectives fly coach for the longest possible time. With a little help here on FT, you might find a city in Maine that has RJ service direct to your TX town and can REALLY put the misery into the cops who come get you. ^
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:56 pm

*** THE FOLLOWING IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE ***

What if the OP books a flight from Shannon, Ireland back to the USA?
"She" will go through CBP pre-clearance facility. Even if "her" name
gets flagged, the CBP officer does not have the power to arrest "her"
becuase it's still Irish territory. The CBP can deny "her" boarding and
alert the Irish police. However, I highly doubt that Texas will bother
with a costly extradition request.

Regardless... the OP should seek legal advise from an attorney.

Below is the text from Wikipedia on this subject:

"Travelers who have passed through the U.S. government checks,
but whose flight or ship has not departed, remain in the legal
jurisdiction of the host country. U.S. officials may question and
search travelers, but they do not have powers of arrest (either
for customs or immigration violations, or for the execution of
outstanding warrants
), although they can deny boarding.
Local criminal laws apply, and are enforced by local officials."

P.S. I used "She" and "her" because I am confident
that the OP is a male and did not come from Texas.

Last edited by Roy2CDG; Apr 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The CPB at Shannon could quietly make note of the arrest warrant and have her arrested on arrival in the U.S.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:30 am

Why would "customs" arrest her?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:21 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by alanR
Why would "customs" arrest her?
"BP" side of the mission...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.