Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
On August 3, 2009, Bob Burns at TSA blogged (in a post titled "Got Feedback: Happy Birthday!") about the success of the "Got Feedback?" program he administers, then posted the following comment:

I have submitted two comments there that link to this thread and explain the 50% response rate that I observed using "Got Feedback?", but neither has been approved. Comments submitted by other people after mine have been approved.
Did you list the 50% that did not respond, if so Blogger Bob may be checking with them first before approving the comments.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Did you list the 50% that did not respond, if so Blogger Bob may be checking with them first before approving the comments.
No, I just linked to the posts here.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
This is at ISP (eek, not a great pic of me .. but oh well): note the "No Photographs" sign in the background at the checkpoint.
It has taken months corresponding with the TSA and then ISP, but I had a voice mail today from an assistant town attorney for Islip stating that he believes the signs have been removed at ISP and they are reviewing the website concerning the photography statement contained thereon.

Also I now have agreement from a TSA attorney that 49 CFR Part 1520 does not apply to passengers and, as such, the restrictions about photography that were being thrown about by Blogger Bob and the monitors don't apply to us. Just don't interfere with the screening process when taking pictures and you should be okay.

Now I am into my third round with TSA on a sign I saw on Sunday at YYC in the US Customs and Immigration Hall that says no lighters are permitted to be carried on one's person on US-bound flights. To date, the TSA responses have been off-the-mark in addressing the issue.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Now I am into my third round with TSA on a sign I saw on Sunday at YYC in the US Customs and Immigration Hall that says no lighters are permitted to be carried on one's person on US-bound flights. To date, the TSA responses have been off-the-mark in addressing the issue.
I don't think you're fighting the right entity.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
I don't think you're fighting the right entity.
At worse, I think that the other entity is also part of DHS. It is in the line controlled by CBP, so someone in the Gov't. should take ownership. Heck, I see huge pictures of Mt. Rushmore and other icons of the US in the same place.

One of the responses from the TSA was that they only do screening in the US. But US regulations are what are responsible for that sign's wording; it's not Canada.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:21 pm

The sign is still there because it covers a water stain.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:45 pm

One of the responses from the TSA was that they only do screening in the US. But US regulations are what are responsible for that sign's wording; it's not Canada.
Or, which I think may be more likely, a misunderstanding between US and Canadian officials on what the US regulations really are ...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
.....Also I now have agreement from a TSA attorney that 49 CFR Part 1520 does not apply to passengers and, as such, the restrictions about photography that were being thrown about by Blogger Bob and the monitors don't apply to us. Just don't interfere with the screening process when taking pictures and you should be okay......
any chance you have this in writing and could possibly, upload it (with your personal information blacked out of course ). it would be nice to include in my "traveling tsa folder"
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:21 pm

My workplace, a data center for a large banking company, has the same sign. It was a rule implemented by the security department. They don't want people casing the joint and getting significant details photographically. Makes complete sense to me. Given the power of telephotos, I'd think you'd pretty much tell people to keep their cameras in the cases. I suppose its a bummer for travelers who want to show airports their friends'll never see, but when it comes right down to it, the global security threat has to take precedence sometimes.

Blame the conspirators if you need to place blame, not the people fighting them.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:06 pm

Why would anyone want to photograph an airport security checkpoint?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:51 pm

Because it aggravates the TSOs.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
This happens every day. Hundreds -- perhaps thousands -- of terrorists in "sleeper cells" take clandestine photographs of airport security checkpoints hoping to spot weaknesses in their defenses that can be exploited. Get with the program, man!

Bruce
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
My workplace, a data center for a large banking company, has the same sign. It was a rule implemented by the security department. They don't want people casing the joint and getting significant details photographically. Makes complete sense to me. Given the power of telephotos, I'd think you'd pretty much tell people to keep their cameras in the cases. I suppose its a bummer for travelers who want to show airports their friends'll never see, but when it comes right down to it, the global security threat has to take precedence sometimes. Blame the conspirators if you need to place blame, not the people fighting them.
Absolutely right. Safety first! People who think that they have some right to take pictures just pave the way for terrorists who are searching for weaknesses in our security so that they can kill us by the millions. If you can take a picture, then so can terrorists, and they can use that picture to kill people! What's more important, people? Get with the program, please.

Bruce
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:50 am

Wouldn't GPS coordinates be more effective? So far, smart bombs can't target using photos.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
why do male dogs lick their balls? <ducking>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.