Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
From hints left in other posts, it appears that Secure Flight has been implemented. Therefore, no more SSSS at the C/P, only the pseudo-random secondary (e.g., C/P grope when you piss off or look at the TSO without the proper "respect" [/sarcasm] [note - this is my interpretation of real world events, not the posts from the various TSO here]).

Since they have no more SSSS, the thought has been that we, the flying public, should expect to see more of the unconstitutional gate gropes.
It's a confirmed change in resource redeployment.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's a confirmed change in resource redeployment.
Just means my travel plans will change to permit getting on other flights in the event that I am IDB'd due to telling the TSO:
  1. I require a private screening
  2. I require that you change your gloves, with a fresh pair from an original package or an EMS/FD-style belt pouch (from a pocket is not acceptable)
  3. I require that all of my possessions remain in my direct line of sight at all times, with the only acceptable blockage being the time items are being passed through the X-Ray - any failures on this part will result in a report to my corporate Security Officer for federal reporting compliance
  4. You will wait while I note the time of this unconstitutional gate grope for tracking purposes should I miss my original flight despite being in the gatehouse in compliance with the airline's policies
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by T-the-B
I fly on Southwest a fair amount and anyone who does that understands the first in / first pick seating. How will a gate screening work on a WN flight? Will they hold up the whole boarding process? Is the passenger just screwed? Will they let the passenger go aboard and claim his seat prior to the screening?

I haven't had to confront gate screening on a WN flight yet but I think it would get ugly pretty fast.

Does anyone have an actual experience to share?
It happened to us a few years ago on Southwest. This was when they weren't allowing any liquids at all, no Kippie bags yet. They were announcing all over the place about random gate screenings for liquids. We were in the very back of the line of the 1st group to board. We were selected for this "random" screening and taken to an area near the jetway entrance. While they are searching our carryons for liquids, examining my chapstick I was getting nervous as it was looking like the guy was going to take forever and we would be the last 2 people on the plane. I was telling the guy (about the chapstick) "No, that's a solid, it's ok to take". Just when I thought it was hopeless he lets us get on the plane straight from where we were instead of getting back in line. Wound up ahead of where we started out. As this was a few years ago and I haven't flown Southwest since, I have no idea how they'd handle this now.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Judging from your post, your bag wasn't even searched and yet you had to come on a travel security website and make a post with, "AAARRRHHHGGG!!!" in the title? I hope you get your blood pressure checked on a regular basis. It seems like you're taking things way too seriously.
My BP is just fine, thanks! (105/65, to be precise)

If you have any idea how precious the space in those overhead bins is (especially on US, where it seems that you can take anything you like on board), then you might understand my annoyance. Long screening = possibility of checking bags = PITA!!!!!

Lighten up!!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I saw them setting up for the gate searches yesterday at TPA. It was an AA flight they were going to, but the first thing that went through my head was "what did they miss at the checkpoints?"
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Judging from your post, your bag wasn't even searched and yet you had to come on a travel security website and make a post with, "AAARRRHHHGGG!!!" in the title? I hope you get your blood pressure checked on a regular basis. It seems like you're taking things way too seriously.
AAARRRHHHGGG!!! I had the privilege of having my security 'enhanced' the other other night in LAS. I hope my AAARRRHHHGGG!!! is appropriate. While undergoing a full body pat-down, the zipper of my rollaboard was opened 6 inches and a TSA guy put his finger tips in there twice. I'm sure that would really find anything. A total dog and pony show.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
I saw them setting up for the gate searches yesterday at TPA. It was an AA flight they were going to, but the first thing that went through my head was "what did they miss at the checkpoints?"
That's exactly the thought that should come up in every rational person's head.

These checks are a kind of (lack of) quality control check, and this reliance upon a quality control check indicates that faith in the initial screening is low.

These gate screening checks are not going to fix anything and are largely part of a useless show in an attempt to "intimidate" and deter terrorists -- just like the police have been driving around flashing their lights and sounding their sirens in some big cities for the same purpose of "intimidating" and "deterring" terrorists. Given the lack of freely-moving about terrorists in the US to "intimidate" and "deter", this basically comes down to putting on a dog and pony show for the sheeple and proclaiming "layered security".

A failure to get the initial screening done correctly shouldn't inspire confidence that these gate screenings will do any better.

Stupid is as stupid does and tries to justify -- welcome to the TSA.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Yes, I got gate-checked yesterday at gate E-11 at IAH for a 7:15 AM flight. Looked at the BP, no ID check, there was a perfunctory pawing-through of half of my carry-on computer bag by some kid who looked 18 and about as interested in doing his job as I was in looking at him. If his hands weren't actually moving I might have put a mirror under his nose to make sure he hadn't stopped breathing.

This, like 90% of the TSA, is window dressing to make people THINK there is effective security and helps to justify things like spending millions of dollars for blue shirts and tin badges for the screeners' self-esteem. Remember DHS gets a massive budget increase under the new administration's budget details released yesterday.

I was going to try to get out of it by facing to the East and chanting "Obama akbar, Obama akbar" but thought better of it.

--PP

Last edited by VideoPaul; Feb 27, 2009 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
It's standard for most US bound international flights unfortunately to go through another security check. Usually look for an elite/F/C type line or go when it's busy and you can get through without too much hassle
Actually it was as I was boarding the plane. And it was a UA flight, on which I was in Y, and sadly I am dirt on UA...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
DL does not give a rat's a$$ about you being delayed by TSA, regardless of boarding zone. I have a good feeling that WN would do the same.
Agree about DL (which is why I no longer fly DL unless they offer some route/price combo so perfect for my needs it makes me swoon).

However, in the early years after 9/11 when gate checks were ubiquitous, WN responded to passenger complaints by changing their boarding procedure to require all gate checks be completed before boarding began. No other carriers I flew then actively responded to the issue.

Also, WN has changed from boarding in the order you arrive at the airport (and getting the old plastic passes) to requiring (if you care which seat you get) you either play their version of Missile Command exactly 24 hours before boarding, or pay more.

I prefer to choose seats I like, so undertake some effort to get into A group. If redundant security activity delayed my boarding I would complain immediately to the gate agent. WN employees usually try to address your concern then and there, as well as report the problem up-line if needed.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:50 pm

The South Korean security does a gate check every time at Seoul's Incheon International Airport. In addition, I always get a secondary screening, questioning, shoe inspection, patdown, et cetera at the regular security checkpoint when I have a flight there. The most insulting inspection for me, as a Virginia Tech graduate, was when I was inspected just days after the South Korean guy went on a murderous rampage at Tech. Their security never checks a single Asian person, but they always treat me like I'm dangerous because of my race.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by TyroneHayes
The South Korean security does a gate check every time at Seoul's Incheon International Airport. In addition, I always get a secondary screening, questioning, shoe inspection, patdown, et cetera at the regular security checkpoint when I have a flight there. The most insulting inspection for me, as a Virginia Tech graduate, was when I was inspected just days after the South Korean guy went on a murderous rampage at Tech. Their security never checks a single Asian person, but they always treat me like I'm dangerous because of my race.
I got nothing at the gate ICN-NRT or ICN-SIN. I did get patted down at the WTMD by a female, which was a nice change from the unwanted male-on-male gropings that I am subjected to in the US.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:06 am

Yesterday, had a TSA ID check while boarding RDU-DCA. A ridiculous use of staffing -- there were literally five or six TSA agents standing around the gate, with as near as I can tell only two or three actually doing anything. Say what you will about the TSA, but I have to think at least some of these agents could have been doing something more productive with the time,
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbessler
Yesterday, had a TSA ID check while boarding RDU-DCA. A ridiculous use of staffing -- there were literally five or six TSA agents standing around the gate, with as near as I can tell only two or three actually doing anything. Say what you will about the TSA, but I have to think at least some of these agents could have been doing something more productive with the time,
Thousands Standing Around for gate searches is a form of government workfare.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:12 am

This is part of the role book that Kippie left them with. It is STUPID, will the new administration fix this and other dumb things he did?

We are hoping for major changes but we hear that she is going over everything the "good old boys club" started. If you work at an airport you get tired of this crap and if you ask a TSA employee they agree for the most part. The people in DC are drinking the water from the Potomac River...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.