Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mikeef
Your insistence on using Earth logic is anathema to everything that the TSA stands for. The beatings will continue.

Mike
Only until morale improves.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Not TSA, but in Fiji last week all flights to Australia and the US had gate searches going on "because US regulations forbid all liquids on all flights." Cursory exam (which ignored all the liquids I had in my luggage) upon boarding my own flight about an hour later.
I ran in to the same thing coming back from HKG last week. I guess they don't exclude liquids in the primary screening over there. Completely ruined my plan to bring back some nice Japanese whisky from the duty free. Oh well, at least they told me before I bought anything.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:35 pm

Apparently the Supreme court thought that at least the search of laptops was a bit over the top.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...out-a-warrant/
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:55 am

We think bag and body searches are fine as long as it will not cause you to miss your flight without acceptable reason. Borderline security must be vigilant for any potential threat that may enter or exit the state. They are the first line of defense for outside threats after all. Let's just comply and everything will end smoothly.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by azooki
We think bag and body searches are fine as long as it will not cause you to miss your flight without acceptable reason. Borderline security must be vigilant for any potential threat that may enter or exit the state. They are the first line of defense for outside threats after all. Let's just comply and everything will end smoothly.
We don't.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
We don't.
^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Given that we're talking about at-the-gate searches, these are hardly "first line of defense" measures. All those who have been inconvenienced by this nonsense were already screened. This is a waste f time and resources.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Is this a joke?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Is this a joke?
"We are not amused."
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Is this a joke?
Yes, it is. But not on the part of the person who posted it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I see that you're new 'round these here parts, so it's important to know the following: When making the "anything for security" argument, it's also important to add the following:

"If we had done this on 9/11 then we would have stopped the terrorists."

"If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

"What, would you people rather have no security?!"

"I know it's inconvenient, but better safe than sorry."

Keep in mind, you don't have to use all those memes in the same post, but they do corroborate the reasons that you are so happy to surrender your rights.

Mike
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mikeef
I see that you're new 'round these here parts, so it's important to know the following: When making the "anything for security" argument, it's also important to add the following:
"If we had done this on 9/11 then we would have stopped the terrorists."
"If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."
"What, would you people rather have no security?!"
"I know it's inconvenient, but better safe than sorry."
Keep in mind, you don't have to use all those memes in the same post, but they do corroborate the reasons that you are so happy to surrender your rights.
I see what you did there.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:56 pm

I tend to look at the Gate Searches like I do with a lot of TSA stuff, roll my eyes and say REALLY?

I get we need some sort of security, but it seems that some of what TSA does is just plain silly and more annoying than real security.

I keep coming back to a friend who works for the FBI always say, things like (Gate Searches my example) only serve to Keep the Honest People Honest.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by kmersh
I tend to look at the Gate Searches like I do with a lot of TSA stuff, roll my eyes and say REALLY?

I get we need some sort of security, but it seems that some of what TSA does is just plain silly and more annoying than real security.

I keep coming back to a friend who works for the FBI always say, things like (Gate Searches my example) only serve to Keep the Honest People Honest.
I would venture a guess that there is not a single person in this forum who would argue that we don't need any security. Like you, I believe that security is a good thing. It's the methods and lack of accountability that drive me nuts.

Mike
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Given that we're talking about at-the-gate searches, these are hardly "first line of defense" measures. All those who have been inconvenienced by this nonsense were already screened. This is a waste f time and resources.
There shouldn't be any gate searches ever. If there's a need for a gate search, it means the checkpoint security has failed and the only solution is a terminal dump and a complete search of the evacuated terminal for anything a terrorist might have left behind to pick up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.