Will an Aerosol explode in Checked Bags? TSA allow it?

Subscribe
I know, I know... run a search. Well I've run a bunch with various wordings and could only find one thread talking about champagne, and a bunch talking about carry on bags.

Trying to bring four (yes, four) metal aerosol containers of spray-on sunscreen to Mexico. They're from Target, unopened, shrink wrapped in pairs. Each container is 6 oz. for 24 oz. total.

So... do I run the risk of them exploding? Some mixed info about pressurized or non-pressurized luggage holds. FYI, will be on a NW DC9-50, 753 and A320 for the trip.

Also, TSA says "Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities)" are not allowed in checked luggage. I think sunscreen qualifies as "personal care" but I'm not sure if 24 oz. total falls within a "limited quantity."

Any ideas?
Explode?
Allowed?

Thanks!
I've flown with plenty of checked aerosol cans and never have any exploded. At worst, you run the risk that one might leak a little (as is possible with any liquid). I'd put all of your liquids, including the aerosol cans, in ziplock bags.

TSA doesn't care about 4 cans of sunscreen (unless an unethical TSA screener has recently run out of sunscreen and is looking to lift some).
I fly with that stuff all the time, cheaper than buying it in Hawaii or Carib.

Might want to put them in a ziploc, as I have had a few minor leaks.
I fly with mine all the time in checked bag, I do put them in plastic bags though as on several occassions the hairspray has leaked. So better safe than sorry, use that plastic baggie in your checked bag.
Echoing the PPs....I've flown with aerosol hairspray many many times. It has leaked on occasion so a ziploc or plastic bag is wise.
Please continue to follow this discussion in the TS/S Forum..
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Multiple trips with pressurized spray cans. Never had a problem. Never drawn a search. I haven't done it recently but if I had a can I wished to transport I wouldn't hesitate to check it. I'm not sure about carry-on.
Quote: Multiple trips with pressurized spray cans. Never had a problem. Never drawn a search.

Absolutely agree.

Don't give it a second thought.
Almost never "explodes"/"leaks" -- at least in comparison to heavier liquids and gels like hair conditioner or hand moisturizing lotions which are not dispensed by an aerosol can and are far more likely to "explode"/"leak".

An aerosol can can trigger a search sometimes -- at the passenger security checkpoint or the baggage security screening location(s) -- but usually it doesn't seem to do that.
Yeah, it should be alright.

The only time aerosols get interesting is when the (a) the can size is enormous (a single can in excess of 18oz), or (b) it's considered flammable and not for personal use.

Personal use has been interpreted in HSV as something that you actually spray onto your body. By that definition, (and assuming all are flammable, I'm using this as an example and don't actually have them in front of me to check for flammability~) bug repellent aerosols are just fine (such as Off!™), but bug-killing sprays (such as Raid™) are not. You don't spray it on you, you spray it on the bug.

Interestingly, Static Guard™ is also considered a non-personal item. You spray it on your clothes, not on yourself.

Spray-on sunscreen, which goes directly onto your skin, should be considered a personal item.
Dean,

Thanks for that explanation - very clear and precise.

However, don't you think this is rather ridiculous? Why would "personal" aerosols be OK, but not aerosols not sprayed onto the body, in particular in checked luggage??
Quote: However, don't you think this is rather ridiculous? Why would "personal" aerosols be OK, but not aerosols not sprayed onto the body, in particular in checked luggage??
Well, the aerosols in question have to be flammable, too. It's a matter of hazardous material. Strictly speaking, you can have a 12oz can of spray starch, and it's going to be just fine. It doesn't go on your body, no, but it's also not flammable, either.

It should be noted, however, that regardless of flammability or not, any aerosol can is still limited to 18oz (this is, I think, for combustibility, but it also falls under the hazardous material guidelines). Most of the hazmat that comes out of checked baggage is the big 22oz cans of spray starch.

As far as why they're okay, and those not sprayed onto the body aren't? They're not "okay." They'd still be flammable, they'd still be potentially dangerous. The difference comes, however, because TSA does want people to continue flying

Hypothetically speaking, it'd be a lot easier, and potentially safer, just to say that any flammable aerosol is prohibited in checked baggage. It'd also make checkpoint operations a lot easier if carry-ons were eliminated and everyone was limited to what they could fit into a quart-sized baggie (and I don't mean for LGA, I mean, like, period. Keys, a cellphone, maybe a twinkie~). TSA isn't going to do that — at least, not without some kind of massive justification for doing so, such as... oh... something on the scale of 9/11ł already taking place — because if they did, the outrage from our fellow citizens would be horrendous, it'd be a total and complete PR disaster, and would probably result in either nobody flying, the TSA getting smacked by Congress, or, most likely, both.

So, yeah. Personal items are exempt from the flammability requirements of checked baggage. :P
Quote:
Interestingly, Static Guard™ is also considered a non-personal item. You spray it on your clothes, not on yourself.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine!

I spray Static Guard on my hair all the time!

Bubbaloop, I think the apparent stupidity of the rules (LOL) is a reflection of the fact they're yet another hybrid of safety, public relations and customer service. Being neither fish nor fowl, they do not really enhance safety very effectively, and they still manage to tick off a fair amount of passengers. Such is the nature of compromise, eh? *sigh*

An even better example are the rules governing lighters* in checked baggage. Technically, they're not allowed, but if we see them in the course of an inspection, we're supposed to assume that they're empty, unless it's obvious they're not (for instance, they're leaking and we can smell lighter fluid -- but how often does that happen?).

* Note that this silly policy only applies to BIC and similar lighters, not torch lighters, which are prohibited in checked AND carry-on bags, and that rule is enforced.
Dean and oneofthose,

I really appreciate your help explaining the nature of these rather complicated and completely illogical restrictions. I also find it surprising that seemingly reasonable persons such as yourselves manage to work within such a ludicrous system (regardless if you still think what you do helps or not). It must be a personality thing - I could not work for something I don't believe in wholeheartedly. I could not follow ridiculous rules.

Quote: It'd also make checkpoint operations a lot easier if carry-ons were eliminated and everyone was limited to what they could fit into a quart-sized baggie (and I don't mean for LGA, I mean, like, period. Keys, a cellphone, maybe a twinkie~).
Actually, although I know I am going to get clobbered for this by many of the other fliers here, I agree that carry-on limitations should exist, not to the level of one quart-size baggie, but maybe the size of a reasonable backpack (which can take a laptop, food, a book, glasses, a cardigan and a few other things you want to use on board). I think people bring altogether too much on board to avoid checking it in (although I am not denying there are problems with checked luggage).

Quote: I think the apparent stupidity of the rules (LOL) is a reflection of the fact they're yet another hybrid of safety, public relations and customer service. Being neither fish nor fowl, they do not really enhance safety very effectively, and they still manage to tick off a fair amount of passengers.
Exactly! Why not scratch them and start all over again?!!
Thanks everyone for the feedback, especially Dean and oneofthose. Mexico here I come!!!

oh, but a quick follow up to satisfy pure FTer curiosity - mostly for Dean or oneofthose:
So the quantity limit on "personal items" relates to a single can size, like 18oz? Does that mean there is no overall limit? Pack as many aerosols as you want, as long as they are all personal items and under 18oz for each bottle? I'm not doing this, just curious now.