Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

BWI TDC (playing BDO/SPOT) harasses, terrorizes, interrogates 3-year-old

BWI TDC (playing BDO/SPOT) harasses, terrorizes, interrogates 3-year-old

Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
My kids are taught not to speak to strangers.
I don't speak to strangers who work for TSA.

(They're all strangers.)
Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:39 pm

What INTERESTING dialogues! So... just what IS the proper way to have your child bend over for the TSA?

I'm reading all this, blinking in disbelief...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I can see both sides on this. I don't know if the TDC was doing BDO functions, but someone who loved children would probably do the "interview" in a less intimidating manner - I mean, the 3 year old did cry and seemed scared, so obviously something went wrong. Did the TDC do the "interview" with BDO intentions, or was he just trying to be friendly and doing it in the wrong way?

Either way, the situation was handled in the wrong way, and the parents, IMHO, should have been more assertive and told the TDC (in a nice but firm way) to back off. I don't know if it's SOP to interview kids, especially infants, if they are deemed "suspicious", because of the legality issues involved, but the TDC obviously did it in a way that rubbed the family the wrong way. If this is a larger indication of what's to come (more interviews, more intimidation, children being asked questions, etc) then that's not a good sign. I really don't know. There's many possibilities here.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by doober
You're a big boy. The screener was questioning a very young child and apparently frightening him. Perhaps the screener was just trying to be friendly, but when the child did not respond and became upset, it should have been dropped. When it persisted, the parents should have called a halt to it.
+1

Mike
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I just would have told my 4 year old son to say what he said last time he went thru BWI:

Me: "Buddy, what do we say at the airport?"

Super Jr. (yelling): "Kip Hawley is an idiot, daddy."

Me: "Good job, son." ^

That generally would have put an end to it. It distracted TSA enough last time with all the laughter.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
And some people just like talking to kids with no other ulterior motive. We have a LTSO like that here in HSV, and a regular TSO. The LTSO just loves children in general; the TSO has been involved with the Boy Scouts for... golly, it has to be, like, the past forty years. Anytime a young boy comes through the checkpoint, he's all about trying to get them to interact with adults on an even level, involving them with knowing what's going on and asking them questions and such.

Me, I just choose to ignore children as much as possible. I don't like them.

However, I recognize that the checkpoint has to be a scary place for a child. Even for something as simple as them coming through the WTMD, it usually goes smoother if you squat down to the ground to get on their level, rather than keep standing and just telling them to come through - even if you're using a gentle or light voice. Getting down on their level makes it not quite as intimidating. It also usually sometimes helps to stick your hand out and say "Gimme five!" because at least the kid comes through the WTMD to smack your hand.

Either way, some people just legitimately adore children, and like to interact with them. I've seen children react the exact same way to a guy in a Goofy costume, and to Santa Clause, to the exact same line of questioning. It's hardly an interrogation; when you want to interact with a child, there's not very much in the way of things you can say to them that they'd know.

I just think you're making a big ol' mountain out of a molehill on this one, and the guy who wrote the story is, too.
I cannot believe you are defending the actions of your colleague in this matter. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:26 pm

There are other, far more legitimate, far less trivial things to poke the TSA over, dude.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:40 pm

There are other, far more legitimate, far less trivial things to poke the TSA over, dude.
Agreed. But interrogating a three year old is abominable. There is simply no excuse for it, and the TSO who did it should be suspended, and the person responsible for the policy fired.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:54 pm

Which is exactly what I was talking about. It's not a "policy." Just because someone in a TSA uniform talks to someone who isn't, that doesn't make them a BDO, and it doesn't mean that they're playing SPOT. There ain't that many BDOs in the TSA (off-hand, I want to say it's, like, 8% or so, given the released numbers of uniformed TSA personnel versus BDOs).

It wasn't an interrogation. The dude was just trying to be friendly. Like I said, I've seen children react the exact same way to Santa Clause, or to any various and sundry other things. It's what kids do.

It's not cause for discipline on the TSO's part, and it's something that, in the grand scheme of things, is just ridiculous to get all bent out of shape over. He probably talks to dozens of children a day, and they probably get a big bright smile and announce their names and he gives a big bright smile back and tells them, by their name, to have a great trip.

It's an inconsequential outrage.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:21 pm

Your attitude is an excellent example of what is wrong with TSA. I understand that you believe the event was inconsequential. But your opinion isn't relevant here - it is what the parent and the three year old felt.

Your colleague scared the three year old, and outraged the parent. For what end? To satisfy a legitimate security need? Or to satisfy the personal desire of the TSO?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Dude, you're cool and all (especially for being part of the TSA ) but in this case, I have to respectfully disagree. You may not think it's a big deal, I may not think it's a big deal, but the parents did. The parents have a right to feel uncomfortable, especially when having their 3-year old infant being "interviewed" by a stranger in a bright blue uniform. Maybe some kids would enjoy that experience, but that infant didn't, and for that reason alone, it was wrong of the TDC to do what he did. Good intentions or not.

So, yeah, I've gotta disagree...but I do think perhaps the parents kind of made it into a bigger deal than they should have. Still. It's their kid. They have a right to feel that way. Thus, they aren't making an "inconsquential outrage."

Which is exactly what I was talking about. It's not a "policy." Just because someone in a TSA uniform talks to someone who isn't, that doesn't make them a BDO, and it doesn't mean that they're playing SPOT. There ain't that many BDOs in the TSA (off-hand, I want to say it's, like, 8% or so, given the released numbers of uniformed TSA personnel versus BDOs).

It wasn't an interrogation. The dude was just trying to be friendly. Like I said, I've seen children react the exact same way to Santa Clause, or to any various and sundry other things. It's what kids do.

It's not cause for discipline on the TSO's part, and it's something that, in the grand scheme of things, is just ridiculous to get all bent out of shape over. He probably talks to dozens of children a day, and they probably get a big bright smile and announce their names and he gives a big bright smile back and tells them, by their name, to have a great trip.

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
If I was travelling and my kid was interviewed this way, first thing I would do is tell the TSO to back off my kid and talk to me...

If they continued to persist, at that point, there would be a REAL situation in progress, as I would be showing my kid how to give a good whooping...

If a kid is showing happiness when talking to someone, then it is fine, but if they are scared, back off and leave them be...

This TSO should be FIRED... after letting me take him into a back alley and beat the crap out of him... let him pick on someone his own SIZE...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Which is exactly what I was talking about. It's not a "policy." Just because someone in a TSA uniform talks to someone who isn't, that doesn't make them a BDO, . . .

Dean, I normally agree with most things you say; and I'm sure you're a dedicated and reasonable TSA employee. However; how can I believe you when you say "It's not a 'policy'"? After all TSA hides its policies, including the rules they expect travellers to follow under the cloak of "SSI".

Let me ask you for an honest opinion. Assuming someone promulgated a policy of questioning children under 6 years of age, would you expect TSA to do it in the light of day or to classify it as SSI? And if it proved to be a PR disaster, would you expect TSA to admit the truth or deny it?

You needn't answer publicly, but think about it. Can you understand why your agency is distrusted the most by those who most frequently come into contact with it?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by speedster1978
If I was travelling and my kid was interviewed this way, first thing I would do is tell the TSO to back off my kid and talk to me...

If they continued to persist, at that point, there would be a REAL situation in progress, as I would be showing my kid how to give a good whooping...

If a kid is showing happiness when talking to someone, then it is fine, but if they are scared, back off and leave them be...

This TSO should be FIRED... after letting me take him into a back alley and beat the crap out of him... let him pick on someone his own SIZE...
Easy tough guy.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:47 pm

When I first read this story I thought "what is wrong with the parents?" After reviewing the story and thread I still have the same thought.

This crap of "I was far from home" holds no water with me. This father needs to turn in his man card.

I can't tell from the story if the TSO overstepped his bounds or not but if the parents felt he had they should have stopped the conversation. The fact they didn't either means this man is coward or the TSO was not that offensive.

The man in the story bills himself as a "Civil Liberties Examiner". I guess he just observes but is unwilling to put him self out to defend civil liberties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.