Wiki Posts
Search

Yellow Passport Photo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Yellow Passport Photo

I got my US Passport back in May of this year.... When I received it the picture of my handsome (if I do say so myself) face was as you would expect a photo to be: clear and true color.

I've used it on every flight since I received it (even domestic), and have noticed that over the course of the last few months the photo has taken on a yellow hue. The watermark (or whatever TSA looks for under the glass and light) is apparently still pretty evident. I've had no TSO (to date) mention that the photo is yellow...

Anyone else noticing this on theirs? Could the blacklight have caused it?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
maybe you have a problem with your liver?

E
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
State Dept, we have a problem

A PP is opened what, perhaps an hour a year total? Degradation from light and UV exposure for the inside pages is thus a non issue when selecting the materials of construction.

The new PP were probably designed BEFORE Kip announced “We are going to blast every photo with a high intensity pure UV light for 10 seconds from an inch away every few days.” One TDC check probably gives more UV exposure to that page than the total it was expected to receive in its designed 10 year lifespan.

The insert for my photo print paper says “Avoid excessive exposure to light. Framing behind glass will protect them from harmful UV rays”. The old PP had photo laminated behind a thick clear plastic layer, the new one has some sort of printer ink exposed unprotected.

We can only hope that the print ink in all the new passports is not UV safe and is being destroyed by the TSA TDCs. Poetic justice at it’s finest. Why not post your story on the TSA Blog and let them WORRY?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.