Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The Newest Threat to Security at CVG: Cargo Pants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newest Threat to Security at CVG: Cargo Pants

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Unhappy The Newest Threat to Security at CVG: Cargo Pants

The Scene: A not-so-busy Terminal 3 security checkpoint.
The Characters: A 60-something-year-old TSO, n301dp, n301dp's cargo pants

The Story:

I'm sure that I am among a whole host of people on this board who wear cargo pants whenever they travel. Today was no different for me.

After loading up the x-ray machine belt with my usual bins, cases, and extra-large bottle of contact solution I proceeded up to the metal detector with my boarding pass in hand. As I began walking through the archway, the TSO monitoring the detector looked down at my pants and said "whoa...you need to either go through the puffer or you'll have to receive a pat down."

I was not wearing pants that had an exorbitant amount of pockets--they are normal pants with a cargo pocket on each leg at about the knee level.

After shooting the officer an incredulous look I asked for clarification--I didn't set off the metal detector when I began walking through. His response was that every person wearing cargo pants needed to follow this procedure or go through secondary screening. At first I thought he was joking until he actually waved me over to the puffer machine. As I went through the metal detector again I once again expressed the fact that this rule made no sense and has not been in practice anywhere else I've traveled this year, including at CVG twice prior! He kind of laughed off my comment.

Excited for a rum & coke at the DL CRC, I decided not to push the issue further. On second thought, after the R&C and a few beers later on in the evening, upon hearing the new rule about cargo pants I should have just taken my pants off and walked through the metal detector in my boxers. I'm sure that the police would believe that I did it on the order of the TSA .

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:51 am

Programs: TSA TSO
One of my co-workers, who is actually a pretty nice guy and has a sense of humor like me, actually does pat down the pockets of everyone's cargo pants when they walk through the mag.

I generally only touch cargo pants when doing a pat down in general, just because the metal detector I usually monitor is very very hectic place to do a pat down.

Anyways, I need to check SOP then I guess.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by n301dp
The Scene: A not-so-busy Terminal 3 security checkpoint.
The Characters: A 60-something-year-old TSO, n301dp, n301dp's cargo pants

The Story:

I'm sure that I am among a whole host of people on this board who wear cargo pants whenever they travel. Today was no different for me.

After loading up the x-ray machine belt with my usual bins, cases, and extra-large bottle of contact solution I proceeded up to the metal detector with my boarding pass in hand. As I began walking through the archway, the TSO monitoring the detector looked down at my pants and said "whoa...you need to either go through the puffer or you'll have to receive a pat down."

I was not wearing pants that had an exorbitant amount of pockets--they are normal pants with a cargo pocket on each leg at about the knee level.

After shooting the officer an incredulous look I asked for clarification--I didn't set off the metal detector when I began walking through. His response was that every person wearing cargo pants needed to follow this procedure or go through secondary screening. At first I thought he was joking until he actually waved me over to the puffer machine. As I went through the metal detector again I once again expressed the fact that this rule made no sense and has not been in practice anywhere else I've traveled this year, including at CVG twice prior! He kind of laughed off my comment.

Excited for a rum & coke at the DL CRC, I decided not to push the issue further. On second thought, after the R&C and a few beers later on in the evening, upon hearing the new rule about cargo pants I should have just taken my pants off and walked through the metal detector in my boxers. I'm sure that the police would believe that I did it on the order of the TSA .

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Your first mistake was assuming that anything TSA does makes sense.

Their sole function in life is to trump up the existing "threat" to justify their existence.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:43 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you did the puffer then you not have had to remove your shoes.

It's just one more reason why this scummy, disgusting, un-American agency should be destroyed.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta DM & CRC, Continental PM
Like most everything the TSA does, this is sheer lunacy.

There's nothing you could fit in cargo pants that you couldn't also fit under your shirt, or in regular pants, or in your underwear for that matter. What a sad sad joke the TSA is.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:39 am

Really they need to pat down anyone with an abdomen, sinuses, ear canals, or any other "sneaky hiding places."

This is just common sense.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:00 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Next time, remove the pants. That's what I would have done.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Maybe that day was "cargo pants day" and the next day was "ear sinuses day" and so on.

I know we would all love to make political statements about and in front of TSA but if you took the pants off without first asking to go behind a curtain, then you are making a political statement. And also making everyone around you uncomfortable.

A year or so ago I think it was "bulky sweatshirt day" when I was singled out to go to the puffer (the area was not crowded). The puffer sent jabs or air at me but not enough to blow the sweatshirt up so they could see underneath (I had nothing to hide) Or maybe they should have made it "test the puffer day" and turned it up really high.

Travel tips: http://www.cockam.com/travel.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; Jun 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Ah, Zinzinnati. Where the German heritage permeates the checkpoints.

CVG was the place where Mrs. GHF was sent to retaliatory secondary for leaving her flip-flops on (this was in the days where shoes-off was optional). Same thing happened at LEX.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
This is just Step 2 in the increased inspection of cargo.

Mike
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I totally would have taken off my pants, folded them neatly into a gray bin, and walked through in my boxers.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
gfunkdave said
"I totally would have taken off my pants, folded them neatly into a gray bin, and walked through in my boxers."

I would have paid good money to see that and the expressions on the faces of the screener running the mag, the xray and the bag checkers who hang out at the xray.

Wonder if the next time I go in civvies to turn in paperwork I should wear my cargos and see if they care.

airlinebrat 53
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
Really they need to pat down anyone with an abdomen, sinuses, ear canals, or any other "sneaky hiding places."

This is just common sense.
I'm glad you didn't describe those "other sneaky places."
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Next time, remove the pants. That's what I would have done.
Me, too. (Seriously.)
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by AllanJ
[...] but if you took the pants off without first asking to go behind a curtain, then you are making a political statement. And also making everyone around you uncomfortable.
Your point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.