Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:18 am   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Need advice from anyone who lists "City of Birth" as place of birth in US passport.

The US State Dept will allow you to list your "city of birth" as place of birth in US passport.
(only for those who were born outside of the USA)

For example, if you were born in Paris, France, you can request that your US passport be listed as
"Place of Birth: Paris" instead of the usual "Place of Birth: France" ..........

The State Dept's Foreign Affairs Manual clearly states how this can be requested by the passport
applicant. See "7 FAM 1300 Appendix D" under US Dept of State Foreign Affairs Manual
Volume 7 - Consular Affair.
.


However, the passport agency will always advise you that you "may" encounter difficulties trying
to enter a foreign country with a US passport showing "city of birth" as place of birth... This
seems strange to me, as almost all other foreign passports list "city of birth" as place of birth.
The US is one of the very few country that lists the "country of birth" as place of birth.

Has anyone here ever done this? If so, have you ever encountered any difficulties entering any
foreign country with a US passport that shows "city of birth" as place of birth?
scottishbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 08, 1:09 am   #2
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 65,657
Some countries' passports also have city of birth rather than country. Mine happens to be one of those and I've not encountered issues as a result.

Some countries ask for place of birth on their arrival cards. I've used both city and country interchangeably and not encountered issues.
__________________
Info~flightmemory||Menus~FT all airlines
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 08, 1:12 am   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K*MillionMiler, AA EXP, SPG PLT, HYATT DIAMD, HH GLD, Marriott PLT
Posts: 1,057
My first US passport had city and country of birth for me.

Ten years later, the country no longer existed, and the city changed its name.

I was rather curious to see what the second passport would say for birthplace (renewed by mail). It ended up being just country (the new one).

I wish there was a way to request my birthplace listed as:

City formerly known as Leningrad, country formerly known as the USSR.
asya999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 08, 7:59 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,392
My US passport says Germany now, but it used to state Muenster, DE on my last passport.
jfulcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 08, 5:37 am   #5
mkt
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Puerto Rico
Programs: AA PLT; B6 Mosaic; CM/UA 1P; VS Silver; Emerald Club Executive; Europcar Elite VIP, Amex MR
Posts: 3,107
My US passport says Massachusetts, USA. My EU passport simply says Boston
__________________
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 08, 8:33 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 31,757
I know I specified the city on my passport application, but I ended up with the state only on my 1999-issued current passport. So even listing the city isn't necessarily going to get it onto the passport; seems the passport agency determines what granularity to display there?
__________________
GO HOKIES
exerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 08, 11:15 am   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BLI or CLT
Programs: CO, US, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,151
My passport lists my place of birth as "Washington, DC, USA."
onlyairfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 08, 9:14 am   #8
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AAdvantage PLT, Continental OnePass, BMI, BAA Worldpoints, AGR, Alitalia, Qantas
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
The US State Dept will allow you to list your "city of birth" as place of birth in US passport.
(only for those who were born outside of the USA)
This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.
salut0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 08, 7:20 pm   #9
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.


"PLACE OF BIRTH: JERUSALEM" is the only option on your US Passport,
if you were born in Jerusalem. It doesn't matter if you consider yourself
an Israeli or a Palestian.

The US government issues and owns the US passport, so only their
official policy matters. In this case, the passport regulations of the
US State Department clearly spells out this policy.

The only exception is for US citizens who were born in Jerusalem prior
to 1948.

The above policy also applies to US citizens who were born in the
WEST BANK and GAZA STRIP, since the United States government
does not officially recognize Israeli soverignty over these territories.
DOM1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 10, 4:32 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.
seems like a moo point(because cows don't have opinions) because are these people all US citizens? Doesn't matter what their city/state/country of birth, they are all Americans! Or am I wrong?
drunkcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 5:37 am   #11
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GVA
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Posts: 1,346
I have always wondered what would happen if an agent sufficiently awake went down and read what was on the forms and passports of Swiss citizens. Swiss ID does not show the place of birth, but the place of origin (and is clearly labelled as such). This is the place where the family had its roots. In many ways this makes a lot more sense as your place of birth is usually the location of the local hospital and may not have much to do with where you live.
Notwithstanding that, my Swiss passport clearly has a place of origin. whereas all the forms (ESTA, APIS, Customs and previously I94s) were honestly filled in with my place of birth, which doesn't figure anywhere in my ID. No-one has ever noticed
catandmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 5:47 am   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: OKC/DFW
Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by salut0
This was probably instituted not just for countries that no longer exist, but also for cities which have disputed sovereignty. I'm thinking specifically of Jerusalem: inhabitants of East Jerusalem who consider it part of Israel, and Palestinians there who think of it as their capital, can list merely the city without having an argument about specifying Palestine or Israel as the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcats View Post
seems like a moo point(because cows don't have opinions) because are these people all US citizens? Doesn't matter what their city/state/country of birth, they are all Americans! Or am I wrong?
You drug up a two-year old thread to ask if those who live in Jerusalem are all US citizens?
__________________
"This is what makes people cry in 2012?" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-wife-cry.html
oklAAhoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 8:20 am   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by catandmouse View Post
I have always wondered what would happen if an agent sufficiently awake went down and read what was on the forms and passports of Swiss citizens. Swiss ID does not show the place of birth, but the place of origin (and is clearly labelled as such). This is the place where the family had its roots. In many ways this makes a lot more sense as your place of birth is usually the location of the local hospital and may not have much to do with where you live.
Notwithstanding that, my Swiss passport clearly has a place of origin. whereas all the forms (ESTA, APIS, Customs and previously I94s) were honestly filled in with my place of birth, which doesn't figure anywhere in my ID. No-one has ever noticed
what is there to notice? many entry forms ask you for info that's not on your passport, like your point of departure or how many chocolate bars you are bringing in.

al
crescatfloreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 10, 2:37 pm   #14
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Posts: 72,223
Some countries list on the passport a place of birth which is not necesasarily the place of birth but is rather the place of parental/family residence at the time of the person's birth. This has caused some people trouble but some countries hang on to some reactionary ways and refuse to clean up the act.
__________________
Like TSA, DL SkyMiles management treats airline customers as if they are the enemy or sheep to be fleeced and it shows.
GUWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 10, 2:06 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Some countries list on the passport a place of birth which is not necesasarily the place of birth but is rather the place of parental/family residence at the time of the person's birth. This has caused some people trouble but some countries hang on to some reactionary ways and refuse to clean up the act.
which countries are you thinking of?

al
crescatfloreat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:51 am.