4 oz Prescription Shampoo

Old May 16, 2022, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
4 oz Prescription Shampoo

Yes, there is such a thing

So I found out today. And without thinking, booked a flight for Wednesday

But then I recalled that TSA makes exceptions for Prescription medicine. In fact, found an old thread about Prescription Mouthwash (again, who knew).

TSA website seems to indicate that size larger than 1 oz is OK.

What say FT experts?
Old May 16, 2022, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I've never had an issue traveling with liquid medications in excess of 3 fluid onces, whether prescribed or over the counter. I take it out of the bag, even in the PreCheck lanes, so that the screeners can see the label and what it is.
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

TSA website says to make sure traveler alerts the officer prior to sending item through scanner and keep it seperate.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I have a prescription toothpaste and a prescription cream which both exceed the magic 3.4 ounces and my SOP is to bring the cardboard boxes* that they come in as that has the prescription label containing all the pertinent info (my name, scrip info etc) and I've never had any issues both domestically and international

*I simply flatten the box and place it in a separate freedom baggie with the toothpaste and cream tubes
Old May 17, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, there is such a thing

So I found out today. And without thinking, booked a flight for Wednesday

But then I recalled that TSA makes exceptions for Prescription medicine. In fact, found an old thread about Prescription Mouthwash (again, who knew).

TSA website seems to indicate that size larger than 1 oz is OK.

What say FT experts?
Make sure that you have the prescription label. Some prescription shampoos like ketoconazole usually come with the label stuck to the bottle. Others like clindamycin are more likely to come in a box. If you do not have a label or it is unreadable bring the product to your pharmacy and they will give you a new one (normally).

Likely they will not stop you for this to even check.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Label attached to the bottle.

Will find out around 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies, I feel better now.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Much to my surprise, tray with bag (and shampoo in clear bag) did not go to secondary screening. I did tell a person at the front of line where we loaded bags and things in Term A at DFW, but if he notified someone, I did not notice.
TWA884 likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Much to my surprise, tray with bag (and shampoo in clear bag) did not go to secondary screening. I did tell a person at the front of line where we loaded bags and things in Term A at DFW, but if he notified someone, I did not notice.
might be a training issue, or maybe TSA has secretly changed the size of allowed liquids to 4 ounces (110ml) or maybe screener discretion working in traveler favor? Would be helpful to know which...
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Were you screened as a PreCheck passenger? Whether or not, sometimes the pre-WTMD/body scanned TSA employee will verbally or otherwise indicate to the baggage scanner operator that a medical or infant/toddler-related exemption is in play.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Were you screened as a PreCheck passenger? Whether or not, sometimes the pre-WTMD/body scanned TSA employee will verbally or otherwise indicate to the baggage scanner operator that a medical or infant/toddler-related exemption is in play.
The free Pre✓ went away for me a long time ago (on UA flights, never got it on handful of AS, AA and DL/WS), and with so little traveling I am not about to pay for it

Doubt it was verbal, as the person doing the scanning was quite a ways from person I notified. But I was not paying that much attention.

Next trip, next month, in a month, this time with UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.