Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Need advice from anyone who lists "City of Birth" as place of birth in US passport.

Need advice from anyone who lists "City of Birth" as place of birth in US passport.

Old May 11, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Karelia
This is an on-going issue that remains unresolved.(either legally or politically) In fact, The United States Supreme Court has decided to rule on this issue during its next session. According to the NY Times, a decision will likely be handed down by early 2015.
So has anything happened with this? Admittedly not something I follow.

Last edited by gobluetwo; May 15, 2015 at 10:18 am
Old May 11, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AppleApe
how do they list place of birth if an American tourist gives birth to a baby while vacationing in Switzerland? what will the US consular birth report or passport say if the mother choose to exercise the "city of birth" option?
What is done is listing the actual place of birth in the CRBA and/or passport, if the parents file that with State and there is good reason to know that the birthing location's physical address is distinct from host country-documented reference.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What is done is listing the actual place of birth in the CRBA and/or passport, if the parents file that with State and there is good reason to know that the birthing location's physical address is distinct from host country-documented reference.
Thanks! That made sense.

I have a co-worker who was born in Los Angeles and at time of his birth,
both of his parents were naturalized US citizens originally from Switzerland.
The interesting thing was that his Swiss ID documents show birthplace as
the canton that his parents were originally from!
Old May 15, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So has anything happened with this? Admittedly not something I follow.
It's the case of Zivotofsky v. Kerry. SCOTUS has not yet announced the decision. It was argued last November (2014) and is currently the oldest case still awaiting a decision. The decision should be announced before the end of the term in June.

This is actually the second time this controversy has been heard by SCOTUS. In 2012, when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State rather than John Kerry, the case was captioned Zivotofsky v. Clinton. SCOTUS reversed a Court of Appeals' ruling that the issue was a "political question" not subject to the court's jurisdiction. The case was remanded to the Court of Appeals for a decision on the merits of the constitutional issue. On remand the Court of Appeals determined that the law was an unconstitutional infringement upon the President's powers and this is the subject of the current appeal.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Barcky
It's the case of Zivotofsky v. Kerry. SCOTUS has not yet announced the decision. It was argued last November (2014) and is currently the oldest case still awaiting a decision. The decision should be announced before the end of the term in June.

This is actually the second time this controversy has been heard by SCOTUS. In 2012, when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State rather than John Kerry, the case was captioned Zivotofsky v. Clinton. SCOTUS reversed a Court of Appeals' ruling that the issue was a "political question" not subject to the court's jurisdiction. The case was remanded to the Court of Appeals for a decision on the merits of the constitutional issue. On remand the Court of Appeals determined that the law was an unconstitutional infringement upon the President's powers and this is the subject of the current appeal.
I personally do not believe the U.S. passport should be used as a tool to
make a political statement. The place of birth should really be purely
geographical. Might as well put down just the GPS coordinates of the
location of birth to avoid any confuse as to the exact place of birth.

Such as: 21°16'34.6"N 157°49'38.0"W
Old May 15, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Thanks! That made sense.

I have a co-worker who was born in Los Angeles and at time of his birth,
both of his parents were naturalized US citizens originally from Switzerland.
The interesting thing was that his Swiss ID documents show birthplace as
the canton that his parents were originally from!
"Place of (parental) origin" is what some places use for "place of birth" or "place of origin". Some other European countries use the "parish" zone of the parental home as child's "place of birth". The funny thing is when the parental home stays fixed but the parish zone gets changed. Then even government researchers from the involved countries may get confused.

I recall this first coming up to my attention when U.S. government prosecutors wanted to figure out how to go after some citizens, naturalized or natural-born, for reasons that didn't originate with concerns about filing paperwork with the U.S. federal government.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 15, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old May 15, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I recall this first coming up to my attention when U.S. government prosecutors wanted to figure out how to go after some citizens, naturalized or natural-born, for reasons that didn't originate with concerns about filing paperwork with the U.S. federal government.
You do realize that the United States Government
is not operated by the Vulcans, right?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:33 pm
Suspended

You do realize that the United States Government
is not operated by the Vulcans, right?
Yes, which doesn't change the fact that I recall this first coming up to my attention when U.S. government prosecutors wanted to figure out how to go after some US citizens, naturalized or natural-born, for reasons that didn't originate with concerns about those US citizens or their US relatives' filing of paperwork with the U.S. federal government.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:06 pm

I found this thread of interest as

I was born in Panama City, Panama while my Father was serving at Fort Clayton and Gorgas Hospital (the US Army Hospital in Panama City).

My old Passport had Panama as my Place of Birth, I never requested a change to the city of Birth but on my new Passport it has Panama City as my place of birth which IMHO is not very precise, as Panama City could refer to either Panama City, Panama or Panama City, FL.

To this day, I have no idea why the Passport Agency decided to remove Panama from the Place of Birth line and I have not had any issues, so I truly do not care, but I have always found it strange.

On forms that ask for place of Birth, I generally write Panama and nobody has batted an eyelash or said anything.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by kmersh
To this day, I have no idea why the Passport Agency decided to remove Panama from the Place of Birth line and I have not had any issues, so I truly do not care, but I have always found it strange
If you were born prior to 1979, and if you were born in Gorgas Hospital, you were not born in the nation of Panama -- at the time, Gorgas was situated on US territory in the former Panama Canal Zone, which didn't revert to Panama until 1979.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by kmersh
I found this thread of interest as

I was born in Panama City, Panama while my Father was serving at Fort Clayton and Gorgas Hospital (the US Army Hospital in Panama City).

My old Passport had Panama as my Place of Birth, I never requested a change to the city of Birth but on my new Passport it has Panama City as my place of birth which IMHO is not very precise, as Panama City could refer to either Panama City, Panama or Panama City, FL.

To this day, I have no idea why the Passport Agency decided to remove Panama from the Place of Birth line and I have not had any issues, so I truly do not care, but I have always found it strange.

On forms that ask for place of Birth, I generally write Panama and nobody has batted an eyelash or said anything.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: WFBF
And this morning the Supreme Court ruled on the Zivotofsky case. SCOTUSblog's commentary:

DC Circuit affirmed. President has the exclusive power to grant formal recognition to a foreign sovereign.

And because the power to recognize foreign states resides in the executive, the statute here infringes on the executive's consistent decision to withhold recognition.
So Congress can't force the State Department to list Jerusalem as "Israel" on US passports as a place of birth.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
And this morning the Supreme Court ruled on the Zivotofsky case. SCOTUSblog's commentary:

So Congress can't force the State Department to list Jerusalem as "Israel" on US passports as a place of birth.

I'm not surprised at all. I am not a Jew or Israeli, but I am 125% pro-Israel.
However, I absolutely do NOT support the Congress's actions to force this
issue on the State Dept. The executive branch has the right in these
matters. It's not a simple geographic problem, but a complicated political/
diplomatic dilemma.

IMHO, all U.S. passports should *only* list name of city/town of birth, just
like what most civilized European and Asian countries do.

By the way, I wonder how the US citizen parents of a baby boy born in
Yalta, Crimea last year will proceed with their request to have the baby's
US passport's place of birth. It is my understanding that they want it
to say "RUSSIA" but I'm sure the State Dept will not comply with that
request. They were waiting for the outcome of the Zivotofsky case.

Last edited by AppleApe; Jun 8, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:56 am
Suspended

Most "civilized" countries issue passports that list country of birth in the passports, whether or not that is the case for the majority of their issued passports or not.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:52 am
Suspended

Two siblings born at the same hospital in the same bed in the same room have different cities listed as "place of birth" despite the hospital being in the same country for all of its history. How could such a thing happen? The historical state church downsizes, for cost-control reasons, and eliminates/merges some parishes thus leading to different "place of birth" in government documents for persons born in the same hospital room and bed.

A lot of government officials -- even in countries with this kind of "parish" register system -- don't really get how this takes place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.