Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Many Job Openings-Earn $100K+ a year plus a very lucrative bonus and benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Become an air traffic controller in the NYC area.

Some airports are losing controllers at a double digit rate and have sweetened the pot for any controllers wishing to relocate to NYC or other high-stress or under-staffed areas. Under the right circumstances you could earn $137K per year plus a $75K bonus plus $27K in relocation expenses. Puts ATC's right up there with pilots in the payscale.

The shortage of controllers is jeopardizing air safety and the future growth of airline operations in several areas.

Complete story here.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Isn't being an ATC one of the most stressful jobs out there though?

I know that seems like a lot, but how far does that REALLY go in the NYC area?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is an insanely stressful job. And $137K per year is rather decent in NYC. You can actually do pretty well for yourself here on that, especially if you've got government benefits. It isn't like investment banker or lawyer rates, but it is more than I made for my first 8 years here.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: DL,EK
I believe you have to start your ATC career before age 30 or so as they won't hire after that.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I have observed with atc in the past & I have a basic understanding of what I'm watching but no way (if I were still young enough) would I want to do it
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I believe you have to start your ATC career before age 30 or so as they won't hire after that.
This is correct - and you'd need quite a few years of experience before being sent to the NY area for work. There are exceptions, but everything commercial service airport wise (towers, centers, approach/departure control) between Boston Center and Washington Center is pretty high-stress and requires experience. I believe the incentives are to move experienced controllers from underutilized facilities into NY, and they will open up slots in those facilities for new hires.

I considered going for this, but alas, I am over 30 and will not even be considered for hire. Frankly, the policy is stupid - even if they might only get a few years out of someone, it's better than nothing, considering how desperate the need is getting.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
There was an article recently in an HR-oriented magazine on air traffic controllers and the high turnover of late. Among the items cited was that air traffic controllers are eligible for retirement after 20 years of service if they are at least 50 years old, and after 25 years of service at any age.

Another tidbit was that 72% of the current workforce will be eligible for retirement by 2016.

The full article is here -- you have to register to read but it is free.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Starting salary is nowhere near that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.