Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today on TSA's new badges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Great published letter in today's McNews. It coulda been written by one of the folks here. Basically: "badges don't convey respect..."
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Great published letter in today's McNews. It coulda been written by one of the folks here. Basically: "badges don't convey respect..."
Or more proof positive that it's just not FTers who carry a great disliking of the TSA.

Sadly, many TSA employees seem to be lacking in these qualities (referring to an earlier point that respect is a result of conduct -- professionalism, ethics, and demeanor). Shouting at passengers, obvious wielding of power, and lazy or indifferent behavior are some of the many reasons I cringe when I approach the passenger screening areas.
That's a portion of the letter.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
They are not "officers".
Never have been , never will be.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking they are any different to say, someone who arrives at Mcdonalds and puts on their uniform when starting a shift.
Officer, sheesh, what a load of crap.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Is there a link?

I saw one of the comments under the original link ... the most recent comment. Pretty much said TSO's are federal LEO's, we have more bomb training than LEO's, blah blah blah. Then he said he was one for 5 years. Can't even begin to fathom how clueless the guy was.

I about wanted to puke.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Is there a link?

I saw one of the comments under the original link ... the most recent comment. Pretty much said TSO's are federal LEO's, we have more bomb training than LEO's, blah blah blah. Then he said he was one for 5 years. Can't even begin to fathom how clueless the guy was.

I about wanted to puke.
I can't wait to hear the inevitable stories about TSAers trying to impersonate cops.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
I can't wait to hear the inevitable stories about TSAers trying to impersonate cops.
I hope they get arrested for impersonating a cop if they do.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they get arrested for impersonating a cop if they do.
Given everything involved, including the concerns expressed over this whole charade, I think the tipping point for an LEO to do that will be already close at hand.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:58 am
Cee

I don't think you were a rogue screener. A rogue screener would have flashed his/her badge and acted like a cop. I see what you did as a normal citizen, not acting under the color of any authority, would do.

Good on you for stepping in. ^
Let's go one step further. Let's say the situation turned out quite differently, and the dude decided to kick my a$$ for puttin' up the ol' cockblock...would he have then been guilty of assaulting a federal officer?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cee
Let's go one step further. Let's say the situation turned out quite differently, and the dude decided to kick my a$$ for puttin' up the ol' cockblock...would he have then been guilty of assaulting a federal officer?
If you were on duty, yes (though I think that's questionable that a TSO is really an officer). If not, no ... regular assault and battery. I could see a prosecutor trying to trump up the charge to assaulting a federal officer though. JMO.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:22 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tattikat2
They are not "officers".
Never have been , never will be.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking they are any different to say, someone who arrives at Mcdonalds and puts on their uniform when starting a shift.
Officer, sheesh, what a load of crap.
Agree 100%.

Officer? Yeah whatever. And I'm Your Majesty, Emperor Spiff, "officer".
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:02 pm

If you were on duty, yes (though I think that's questionable that a TSO is really an officer). If not, no ... regular assault and battery. I could see a prosecutor trying to trump up the charge to assaulting a federal officer though. JMO.
Simple assault in TN. We do not even have a statute for specifically assaulting a LEO. Even if we did, unless the TSA employee is commissioned, it would not fly. With that said, I believe there is a federal law for assaulting a screener (TSO) during checkpoint operations.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Cleveland LEO's are not happy about this

Cleveland Plain Dealer >> LINK

Airport screeners to wear police-like badges; officers object

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Mark Puente
Plain Dealer Reporter

Airport security screeners will soon be wearing police-like badges to boost morale, but police across the country -- and Cleveland -- aren't pleased.

The Transportation Security Administration's 48,000 screeners will be issued new royal-blue police-style shirts with 3-inch-by-2-inch, silver-colored, copper and zinc badges.

[...]

"It's an impersonation of police," May said. "You don't want anybody being mistaken for police."

Steve Loomis, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, agreed.

"The only people who should be wearing badges are police," he said.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me that the screeners should be the ones objecting to this militarization of their appearance.

It is kind of like the old adage about carrying an unloaded weapon.

Unless you are trained to be a LEO, are equipped like an LEO, and have appropriate backup, you sure don't want to be mistaken for Law Enforcement or military.

Edit to say that I see essxjay beat me to it!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Unless you are trained to be a LEO, are equipped like an LEO, and have appropriate backup, you sure don't want to be mistaken for Law Enforcement or military.
But many TSOs will argue that they are trained & should be equipped and considered LEOs.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Spiff
One usually has to commit a crime before the local rent-a-cop starts harassing you and/or destroying your civil liberties.
Hmmm... have you ever gone to the movie theatre and pulled out a bottle of non-theatre water? You'll get a worse reaction than at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.