USA Today on TSA's new badges

Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Cee
I had to go back and read the above article, because your statement that the TSO's had to surrender their badges when off duty was a new one to me. Maybe I missed it, but I read it that the TSO's were "barred from wearing them" when not working.
Yes, I think the phrasing "...unlike police, who often are required to carry their badges while off-duty, screeners will be barred from wearing them when they are not working" is ambiguous. I took is as meaning that they would have to surrender them, since their authority appears to end outside the airport, and when the shift ends. Controlling badges when they imply no authority outside of the airport might seem sensible, but I am probably reading too much into these vague words.

Was I a rogue screener?
Heavens no...come to think of it, flashing a badge in front of those punkazzes (who probably wouldn't have been able to discern a TSA badge from any other badge) might have given them a well-needed brick in the trousers. But seriously, when I think of rogue screeners flashing a badge, I think more of using it for unauthorized free passage on the Metro, or worse, such as confiscating property.

Or just an adult (yuck! I hate that word to describe myself)
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
badges? badges? we don't need no stinking badges

ok, so i don't get it.....

Airport screeners will get badges after finishing a two-day training program covering issues related to badges as well as how to talk to passengers in a calming manner
day 1: this is a badge. it is shiny (15 minute break), it has a pin which is sharp so be careful not to stick yourself (lunch), how to fill out on the job injury forms if you have been stuck by the pin on your badge (15 minute break) preview of day 2 (end of day 1 session)

day 2: demo of how to insert badge on your uniform (15 minute break) hands on practice on inserting your badge on to your uniform (lunch) filling out on the job injury forms for those who stuck themselves with the pin on their badges during the hands on practice (15 minute break) hand out given with instructions on how to talk to pax in a calming manner (end of two day session)

it's your tax dollars hard at work folks <sheesh >
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Do it the old fashioned way

Nowadays it's all done with lawyers and clerks typing forms, but I like the good ole days in the Union Army when someone was "drummed out" for a dishonerable discharge: Head shaved and uniform stripped of its buttons and insignia while the band played the "Rouge's March."

If some around here ever gets their way and TSA is disbanded, it would be only fitting and proper to line em all up and let a volunteer from the "other side" rip off their insignia. As the uniforms get fancier, all I see is more shiny stuff to rip off!

Someone care to calculate how long it will take People's Volunteer Spiff to rip off 45,000 badges?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:04 am
Cee

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Nowadays it's all done with lawyers and clerks typing forms, but I like the good ole days in the Union Army when someone was "drummed out" for a dishonerable discharge: Head shaved and uniform stripped of its buttons and insignia while the band played the "Rouge's March."

If some around here ever gets their way and TSA is disbanded, it would be only fitting and proper to line em all up and let a volunteer from the "other side" rip off their insignia. As the uniforms get fancier, all I see is more shiny stuff to rip off!

Someone care to calculate how long it will take People's Volunteer Spiff to rip off 45,000 badges?
That's fine, Spiff can rip off my badges and patches...but please don't let him shave my head!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:14 am
Cee

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Heavens no...come to think of it, flashing a badge in front of those punkazzes (who probably wouldn't have been able to discern a TSA badge from any other badge) might have given them a well-needed brick in the trousers. But seriously, when I think of rogue screeners flashing a badge, I think more of using it for unauthorized free passage on the Metro, or worse, such as confiscating property.
I know I am getting OT here, but the TSA here pays for my train/bus pass. I don't know if they do it everywhere, but riding the train or bus is really the only way to get to the airport (or I could pay to park at the terminal for $25 a shift). Also, they have started a program (can't remember the correct acronym, but we call it Viper) and TSO's actually ride the trains for visual prescence (or something like that).
I can see a TSO wrongfully flashing their badge to get out of speeding tickets, to impress girls at a bar, or some other stupid thing like that. It won't be long after the badges are issued that something stupid does happen.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:17 am

I'm betting that "Badge Etiquette" will only be a 15 minute mention during a normal 2-day training routine for new TSA employees.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
This is strange...

Suddenly, I feel different about the TSA...
I no longer hate them for trampling my dignity and freedoms...
I no longer care that they represent all that is wrong with our country...
I no longer care about removing my shoes, putting my "freedom baggie" in a "victory bin" and sending them through the "protection machine..."
I enjoy being groped by a wannabe sex offender with yesterday's gloves...
I look forward to being told that the Big Book O-Rules doesn't apply to me because of whatever insane reason the screener just thought up...
I cannot wait to be told that my passport is not valid ID because it "isn't a state-issued ID;" (a real states-rights TSO!) my driver's license isn't valid because it's expired on the front and has a renewal sticker on the back; my State of Alaska Employee ID Card isn't valid because it isn't a government-issue...

Something is definitely different. I can't quite place my finger on it. Wait, is that it? Really? It is... It must be! Yes! It is! Ha Ha! Eureka! IT'S THE BADGES!!! HOOORAAAAYYYY!!! The badges have cancelled out everything that was wrong with TSA! They have allowed me to see the light! Edmund S. tapdancing Hawley, I have seen the LIGHT!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: CO One Pass
this thread reminded me of a bit in Napoleon Dynamite

Uncle Rico : We also need some way to make us look official, like we got all the answers.

Kip : How bout some gold bracelets?

Uncle Rico : We need like some name tags with our picture on it, all laminated and what not. I mean, we gotta look legit man.

Kip : That's true, that's true.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Don't the receipt-checkers at Wal-Mart wear a similar uniform?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

Depends. If they were attached like band-aids, then I'd probably take my time.

Originally Posted by Cee
That's fine, Spiff can rip off my badges and patches...but please don't let him shave my head!
Hair looks better on than off. Now, badges and patches, on the other hand, look much better on the floor.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:26 pm
Cee

Originally Posted by Steelehc
Suddenly, I feel different about the TSA...
I no longer hate them for trampling my dignity and freedoms...
See...I knew you guys would come around!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie
ok, so i don't get it.....

day 1: this is a badge...it has a pin which is sharp so be careful not to stick yourself (lunch)
Wait, now I'm confused. I thought sharp objects weren't allowed past security.

Originally Posted by Cee
Did anyone else just go to a really, really bad place just then...

Mike
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Hmmm. Aren't these badges secured by sharp pointy pins that can be used as a weapon if one was so inclined?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by Cee
I don't know if they do it everywhere, but riding the train or bus is really the only way to get to the airport (or I could pay to park at the terminal for $25 a shift). Also, they have started a program (can't remember the correct acronym, but we call it Viper) and TSO's actually ride the trains for visual prescence (or something like that).

Daughter: What do you do at work Daddy?

Father: I make up names of inane TSA Programs in the hopes of tricking people in to thinking that we are working hard...even on our way to work!

Daughter: Oh Daddy! I love you!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by txrus
Clearly this guy still hasn't visited the TSA's blog
How do you know that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.