Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today on TSA's new badges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
The Airport Police are going to have a conniption, especially when TSA agents start sleeping in cars at the ends of airport runways and collecting overtime.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:32 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
thought it was "and you ain't got a roll"
probably is
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by Steelehc
Something is definitely different. I can't quite place my finger on it. Wait, is that it? Really? It is... It must be! Yes! It is! Ha Ha! Eureka! IT'S THE BADGES!!! HOOORAAAAYYYY!!! The badges have cancelled out everything that was wrong with TSA! They have allowed me to see the light! Edmund S. tapdancing Hawley, I have seen the LIGHT!
You ain't seen nothin' yet! Wait until Respect My Auth-o-ra-tayyyy Phase II kicks in and they start wearing berets and jackboots!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by txrus
No mention anywhere in his article that this has been discussed, repeatedly, on the TSA's blog & that the response has been overwhelmingly negative. To me, that clearly shows he hasn't visited the blog.
Then perhaps he doesn't know about the TSA blog.

It seems important to you that he should know about it. Since you're so irritated about what a reporter doesn't know but should, wouldn't a simple phone call to him clear up both his ignorance and your irritation?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by essxjay
Then perhaps he doesn't know about the TSA blog.

It seems important to you that he should know about it. Since you're so irritated about what a reporter doesn't know but should, wouldn't a simple phone call to him clear up both his ignorance and your irritation?
I'm not 'irritated' at him about that-I have no idea where you got that idea nor why you have been so 'irritated' that I have an opinion about this & are making such an issue over my having stated an opinion about something or someone. That's your hang-up, not mine. Please, if my opinions irritate you so much, just ignore them in the future-won't irritate me in the least.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 3:37 pm
Original Member

I'm not 'irritated' at him about that-I have no idea where you got that idea nor why you have been so 'irritated' that I have an opinion about this & are making such an issue over my having stated an opinion about something or someone. That's your hang-up, not mine. Please, if my opinions irritate you so much, just ignore them in the future-won't irritate me in the least.
Your assumptions about what interest me are mistaken. I'm not interested in your opinions. I am, however, very interested in upshot of conversations any FTers have with highly visible reporters, such USA Today's Frank Thomas. Given your comments in another thread, you seemed motivated to follow through. I was wondering whether you had acted on that impulse. Make sense?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by essxjay
Your assumptions about what interest me are mistaken. I'm not interested in your opinions. I am, however, very interested in upshot of conversations any FTers have with highly visible reporters, such USA Today's Frank Thomas. Given your comments in another thread, you seemed motivated to follow through. I was wondering whether you had acted on that impulse. Make sense?
It would have had you asked me that directly.

If this reporter is as 'highly visible' as you feel he is, then is it safe to presume he at least knows about Flyer Talk? If he does & has spent any time here, then he knows about TSA's blog as it's been mentioned here countless times. There have also been numerous discussions here re: the new screener badges as well as the MMW machines, subjects of his 2 most recent USA Today articles, at least in print. If he's not doing his research on these subjects then I'm back to regarding him as nothing more than an unofficial TSA cheerleader (my opinion).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Does this mean with the new badge they now have official authority to do that deep cavity search on me?? ohh boy!! can't wait!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Jace
Does this mean with the new badge they now have official authority to do that deep cavity search on me?? ohh boy!! can't wait!
Can I get a female tso
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Can I get a female tso
Choose your female TSOs wisely young grasshopper. You wouldn't want this from Beulah Balbricker.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Cee
I had to go back and read the above article, because your statement that the TSO's had to surrender their badges when off duty was a new one to me. Maybe I missed it, but I read it that the TSO's were "barred from wearing them" when not working. Slight difference. (Not that if matters much, it still means that they are not to be abused). Anyway, I ride the train to and from the airport sometimes. Full uniform, but usually covered up with a sweatshirt. I consider myself just a regular citizen, and as a citizen I have gotten involved in certain situations on the train. On one instance, I was riding in a car with two young (12-13 yrs) girls. There was a much older punk (20-ish) making rude/gross/uncomfortable/obscene comments to them. Even tho I was in uniform (covered up) I sure wasn't gonna watch those girls start to cry. Was I a rogue screener? Or just an adult (yuck! I hate that word to describe myself) stepping in to help out the girls? I didn't have to use any force, I am not a big person by any means, but if the kid turned out to be crazy...I would have defended myself.
I don't think you were a rogue screener. A rogue screener would have flashed his/her badge and acted like a cop. I see what you did as a normal citizen, not acting under the color of any authority, would do.

Good on you for stepping in. ^
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by law dawg
+1.

Of course, that cuts both ways as well........
What, exactly, do you mean by this? Are you implying that we as passengers need to earn the respect of TSA?

Henry
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
thought it was "and you ain't got a roll"
Regardless, you pray for THIS guy to show up.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:15 pm
Original Member

Is it safe to presume he at least knows about Flyer Talk?
Of course not.

So, I'll be direct -- even more so than I was in your other USA Today thread. Reporters don't necessarily know the backstory on every assignment they're given, unless they've been on a particular beat or section for a good while. This is especially true for general assignment reporters. (And interns -- 'tis the season.) Having been in the business for 16 years myself, I learned something new almost every single day on the job regardless how long I was in a particular position. Sometimes real gems come from calls and letters and emails by readers. Believe it not, it's usually appreciated.

Of course, you may be dead on that Frank Thomas is a TSA cheerleader. Whether that's a fact or an assumption is another story.

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 19, 2008 at 5:23 pm
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Reporters don't necessarily know the backstory on every assignment they're given, unless they've been on a particular beat or section for a long time. This is especially true for general assignment reporters. (And interns -- 'tis the season.) Having been in the business for 16 years myself, I can tell you that I learned something new almost every single day on the job. Sometimes the new tidbits come from calls and letters and emails by readers. Believe it not, it's usually appreciated.
Troof! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.