Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is a Carton of Cigarettes Allowed in Carry-on Luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I am flying to Visit my cousin this weekend and in the state i live in cigarettes are almost half the price of where he lives. He wants me to bring him a carton when I come, but I don't plan on Checking any Luggage Just a carry on and my laptop bag. Will I have any issues with this? What is the TSA's policy on this?
they would still be sealed from the factory also...

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2008, 9:11 am

They aren't allowed anymore after the DHS heard a rumour from a friend of a friend who'd heard from his barber's mother sister-in-law that al-Qaeda were going to smoke on a plane and give everyone lung cancer
Old May 13, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by alanR
They aren't allowed anymore after the DHS heard a rumour from a friend of a friend who'd heard from his barber's mother sister-in-law that al-Qaeda were going to smoke on a plane and give everyone lung cancer
I heard that they were being confiscated on the basis that the tobacco could be combined with tap water in the lavs to make a chaw that could then be spat upon the crew in violation of Federal Law.
Please obey all instructions, all lighted signs and placards, and no chaw.
Dave
Old May 13, 2008, 9:18 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk matb2005!

Should not be a problem. I am a non-smoker but always encourage smokers to take advantage of lower taxed cigarettes. It must be my Scots-Irish blood.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Poster

thanks for the welcome!

I dont fly often but i will be on here alot...

I start with the TSA in 2 weeks..

Just dont flame.. lol
Old May 13, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matb2005
I am flying to Visit my cousin this weekend and in the state i live in cigarettes are almost half the price of where he lives. He wants me to bring him a carton when I come, but I don't plan on Checking any Luggage Just a carry on and my laptop bag. Will I have any issues with this? What is the TSA's policy on this?

I can't imagine why the hell they wouldn't be allowed.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:38 am
Cee

Originally Posted by matb2005
thanks for the welcome!

I dont fly often but i will be on here alot...

I start with the TSA in 2 weeks..

Just dont flame.. lol
Your smokes will be fine, but your hair gel...
I assume you will probably be flying thru the airport that you are going to be working at? Make sure you know what you're doing, ya don't want to look like a moron in front of your new co-workers
Good luck with your new job.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: LH
Wink Smokers

I am sure they will find reasons why, in future, we will not be allowed a carry on luggage. The following step afterwards - left for your imagination.
BTW, a warm welcome to FT (FlyerTalk).
Old May 13, 2008, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
They are fine. My wife has even brought in REALLY dangerous cigarettes from ZRH - they were FRENCH!! Welcome to FT!
Old May 13, 2008, 2:17 pm

I think the law is up to ten packs for your personal consumption. After that, they can get you for avoiding taxes.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
They are fine. My wife has even brought in REALLY dangerous cigarettes from ZRH - they were FRENCH!! Welcome to FT!
They were not "French Smokes" they were "Freedom Smokes"......come on, get the terminology right!

Cigarettes are allowed as carry on, but your matches are restricted. If you connect through some 3rd world country due to an equipment change the security personnel tend to prefer Marlboro to Camel when taking bribes.
Old May 13, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by climbermom
I think the law is up to ten packs for your personal consumption. After that, they can get you for avoiding taxes.
They have customs now between US domestic airports now? Damn, this taxation thing is really starting to spiral out of control ain't it?
Old May 13, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I can fit four cartons in my rollaboard (plus a weeks worth of clothes), and I don't smoke.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sefrischling
They were not "French Smokes" they were "Freedom Smokes"......come on, get the terminology right!

Cigarettes are allowed as carry on, but your matches are restricted. If you connect through some 3rd world country due to an equipment change the security personnel tend to prefer Marlboro to Camel when taking bribes.
I like Freedom Smokes, makes me want a Gitane and I dont even smoke. We didnt have to worry about ending up in a third world country, depending on how you currently classify the United States, on a ZRH-JFK nonstop unless something went very, very much wrong.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sefrischling
They have customs now between US domestic airports now? Damn, this taxation thing is really starting to spiral out of control ain't it?
Actually in some states I think the law is even more restrictive in moving things between states because of taxation. I think in some cases there is no allowance, that said, since there is no customs it isnt often enforced. I have read intermittent news stories about someone getting busted however, usually with liquor rather than cigarettes. One I remember was Ohio police nailing someone buying booze in Kentucky and the other was someone in Maryland getting busted buying booze in the District. In both cases from low/no tax areas to higher tax areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.