Search

Question about TSA and electric razors

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss/Miles&More, Delta Skymiles, Chase UltimateRewards
Question about TSA and electric razors

Hello all,

Mercy please as it is my first post! Admittedly after a couple years of following the site, however.

My question is for all you frequent flyers who deal the the TSA more than I do. Next Tuesday I'm flying AA DEN-LAX (on a CRJ700! Not so exciting after what feels like a million flights on bombardiers but it's still flying!) and I want to bring only carry-on opposed to paying a checked bag fee. I've got a Phillips Norelco Total Bodygroom that I'd like to bring instead of dealing with shaving cream, razors, etc, but I don't want it taken away at security even if it's an admitted item, as my research has found for carry-ons.

Even if it's listed as accepted, I've seen so many examples where TSA policy at the airport does not follow TSA policy that I was wondering how to handle the situation of getting through without loosing a rather pricy electric razor that I've invested in.

A key example being an experience at Vail (KEGE) where there were two separate lines, ten feet from each other, and we had to take our shoes off while the other didn't. When we asked the blue shirts about it they said everyone had to take their shoes off, at which point we just shook our heads and moved on, whilst the other line moved through without removing one shoe!

So my idea was this; arrive with plenty of time, as usual, and go right to security with razor in hand while my ride circles around the terminal. Ask the greeter TSA agent specifically if THIS specific razor will be allowed through the checkpoint. If they say no, no argument and I'll pass it off to my friend in the car who can then head home. Would that look too suspicious? And what are the chances I'll get in line an hour later and they want to take it away? Can I have them find Mr/Ms.TSA who confirmed it earlier and try to convince them? Or should I just avoid the whole thing and buy a cheap razor in LA to use for my short week-long trip?

Thanks,

-NWARJ
Old May 11, 2011, 11:22 pm

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how someone might take down an aircraft using an electric razor.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how someone might take down an aircraft using an electric razor.
Same way they can do it with a bottle of water.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Granted I've given myself one cut from the trimmer. But the TSA never seems to need a reason. My parents are pilots an my mother, in uniform, once had her nail clippers taken away by the TSA. Their excuse was that she could take control of the airplane. They apparently didn't understand that she would already be in control of the MD-11 she was on her way to fly!
Old May 11, 2011, 11:49 pm

Yeah, I felt the same way when they confiscated my EYELASH CURLER!
Old May 12, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i carry on an electric razor all the time.. never a problem. one suggestion: don't store it in a shoe -- a shoe with a battery, a small motor, and a few wires in it will draw a second look.....
Old May 12, 2011, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Yeah, it dawned on me that they'll probably be so busy texting and taking breaks that they'll probably never notice. They never notice the fake bombs and guns that they use to test the TSA!
Old May 12, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Honestly, I think there is absolutely ZERO chance you need to worry about this for even another second.

The shaver you want to bring is a standard electric shaver. It is absolutely permitted by the TSA. TSA at DEN and LAX will have seen hundreds of these pass by them. I always travel with my Norelco shaver in my carry-on bag.

There is a chance that the razor will trigger a bag check, in that it may appear to be something that prompts the agent to open your bag and inspect (look at) the razor. That used to happen to me once every seven or eight trips; it hasn't happened even ONCE in the past couple years, however.

The other consideration for electric shavers is that some have gel components; whenever possible, you could place those in your Kippie bag if you truly wanted to be in full compliance. (Again, in actuality I think this is a nonissue.)

Here are a couple other threads that may be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...zor-carry.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...bag-check.html

Again, I think you can relax on this issue. I realize that TSA is highly inconsistent in many areas, but we haven't had screeners taking away electric shavers at any noticeable level. Just pack it and don't sweat it! Let us know how it goes.
Old May 12, 2011, 5:19 am

They've been idiots about my electric toothbrush before, which resulted in a comment that suggested the particular blueshirt must be unfamiliar with toothbrushes, judging by the smell of his breath.

There's nothing about an electric razor that would make it prohibited, and there are no limits to the depth of stupidity at the TSA.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i carry on an electric razor all the time.. never a problem. one suggestion: don't store it in a shoe -- a shoe with a battery, a small motor, and a few wires in it will draw a second look.....
I carry an electric shaver all the time and occasionally a beard trimmer. Never once had TSA even glance at the stuff. And I typically *do* store it in a shoe, which I could see freaking out nervous-nellie TSAers, but it's never given me trouble.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1P
My husband and I have carried electric razor and disposible razors through in our carry-ons and never have had even a bag check. This includes international airports.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
I fly with an electric shaver in a pocket of my carry-on 100% of the time, and neither I nor the screeners have ever given it a second thought or second look. I wouldn't do anything special, just throw it in and take it on.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Just don't pack it next to a block of cheese .
http://newssophisticate.blogspot.com...eese-bomb.html
Old May 12, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
OP takes razor out of bag. Rushes the cockpit and jumps over the food cart while co-pilot is going to the bathroom. Enters cockpit and starts to shave the pilot. Pilot is so distracted by the grooming that he loses control of the plane and puts it down.

Mike
Old May 12, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
OP takes razor out of bag. Rushes the cockpit and jumps over the food cart while co-pilot is going to the bathroom. Enters cockpit and starts to shave the pilot. Pilot is so distracted by the grooming that he loses control of the plane and puts it down.

Mike
That could totally happen. This, too:

LeeAnn rushes the cockpit and jumps over the food cart while co-pilot is going to the bathroom. Enters cockpit and starts to curl the pilot's eyelashes. Pilot is so distracted by the grooming that she loses control of the plane and puts it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.