Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
The license is not much but the car registration is the howler; there are the normal fees normal states have, special CA fees and a stealth tax that is a percent of the value which declines as it ages.
This sounds like what we dealt with in Massachusetts--a gradually decreasing tax on your car's value that went to your local municipality. At the time I had one five-year-old, paid-for car and a second two-year-old, leased car, so the damage wasn't too bad. Also like CA, MA had the "register as soon as you get here" requirement, and would reward your neighbors for turning you in.

Sorry to hijack this thread--I should hop a flight to HNL one weekend and get a Hawaii license, I guess.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
To deal with the issue of residency, it is possible to be a resident of more than one state and legally a resident of more than one state.

Turning back to my years of civil procedure there is an issue that has been presented vis a vis whether a federal court has jurisdiction to hear a case. The federal courts can hear disputes between citizens of two different states, but not citizens of the same state. Citizenship (state) is defined differently from residency. IIRC Citizenship remains in the state that you intend to return to reside. Thus, you could be living in HI and intend to return to FL and therefore you are a "citizen" of FL, but a resident of HI. Further, because of every state's different residency rules, it is possible that you are considered a resident of more than one state. Some states only require domicle for 30 days some for 10 and some for 6 mo before they consider you a resident. Further some states have that long before they consider that you have surrendered residency. If you look at tax returns, they list part-time resident as an option. You get to pick your home state residency in that situation.

In the end a person can have only one state citzenship, but can be a resident of multiple states, and they don't have to be the same.

So in this case the OP is a resident of HI, but a citizen of FL.
Since the OP is considered a resident of HI wouldn't he have to pay HI taxes even though his income is earned in FL?
Cheers
Howie
Old May 6, 2008, 8:39 pm
Suspended

This could bite you in many ways:

1. Hawaii contends that you are a state resident and owe state income tax. If you say you fabricated your address to get a driver's license, you could open yourself to prosecution if they wanted to do that.

2. You better check Florida laws to see if Florida residents must have Florida driver's licenses. Many states require you to get a license. If you are stopped by the police, they could issue you a citation and say "speak with the judge".

3. If someone hits you/your car, the opposing attorney may pressure you to settle by pressuring you in a deposition to disclose your driver's license and why you did what you did.

4. I have seen a recent Florida driver's license. It does not have SSN on them but you are required to disclose it. You might be able to use a box address or a work address.

I saw a Robert Redford and Brad Pitt spy movie, Spy Game. Redford tells Pitt not to lie too much when undercover because pretty soon you can't keep your lies straight.
Old May 6, 2008, 8:48 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
I didn't read the whole thread. Did anyone post a copy of McLovin's license yet?

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/superbad/images/641196

How about Nick Poppageorgio?
Old May 6, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by aceman
I'd love to know what states allow foreigners to get DL. No social seems to make things hard...

Any thoughts?
Many do.

In many states you only need to prove that you can d-r-i-v-e to get a DL.

Off the top of my head I think that CT, CA & WI don't require you to prove you are not a foreigner, only that you live in the state and can pass the drivers test.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Many do.

In many states you only need to prove that you can d-r-i-v-e to get a DL.

Off the top of my head I think that CT, CA & WI don't require you to prove you are not a foreigner, only that you live in the state and can pass the drivers test.
Being a foreigner doesn't equate to not having a ssn. My experiences in the US (handful of states on east coast and mid west) were that 1 you needed ssn card, and 2 the license would be valid for as long as you are valid in the country (the date on your visa, or I-20 if you're a student), plus a 2-3 months grace period (or sometimes not even that). I remember MD to be especially anal - only specific DMVs' were assigned to deal w/non-citizens, couldn't go w/out an appointment and one wasn't available for months so on n' so forth

Last edited by enthusiastic flier; May 7, 2008 at 12:27 am
Old May 7, 2008, 12:25 am

I'd love to know what states allow foreigners to get DL. No social seems to make things hard...

Any thoughts?
Huhh? If you are legitimately in the country, are working studying etc., you should be able to apply for a driving license of the state you are in. If you're not a citizen you will need to bring your passport and associated paperwork showing you're legal in the country. Did you really think "foreigners" weren't able to get a driving license?

Tourists visiting the country shouldn't be able to get one (although I remember reading on FT abt it being "possible"), and my statement above excludes this exception.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Hmmm... I wonder if a fraud argument could be made here. If the application said "permanent address" and the OP put the MBE address, that might not be considered a material misrepresentation per se to be fraud but it would most certainly be a false statement of fact.
Originally Posted by HRS s. 286-131 (Unlawful use of license)
No person shall:
(5) Use a false or fictitious name in any application for a driver's license or knowingly make a false statement or knowingly conceal a material fact, or otherwise commit a fraud in any such application; or
As for jury duty, the OP could probably get out of it but it'll be a hassle and the court administrators would demand a reason... Needing to get an HDL for purposes of evading the TSA probably won't fly too nicely and might not get a pass on the jury duty (speaking of which, I've been called to serve in a few weeks--woohoo...). Re: taxes, probably not a big deal since the OP isn't claiming "residency" in Hawaii and doesn't qualify for residency unless filing state taxes, getting a permanent job here in the Islands, etc.

As for State ID cards, they've tightned up on issuing for those people taking advantage of it solely for kama'aina discount purposes. See http://starbulletin.com/2002/02/19/news/kokualine.html

And an interesting read:
What else can happen if you change your mainland driver license to a Hawaii license?

When you change your driver's license, a lot more happens than just changing the color of the plastic. Many governmental agencies are made aware of the change you have made in your driver's license.

For instance, the State of Hawaii operates exclusively on the Social Security system. If you obtain a Hawaii driver's license, the Social Security Administration is made aware that you now have a Hawaii license and it is possible that it could adversely affect you in the future. You may even be called for jury duty even when you are not in Hawaii. When you return to the mainland you may find that you have only fifteen (15) days to obtain your home state's driver's license.

Under new national license laws, it is now impossible to hold more than one driver's license. It is also true that your legal domicile may be affected by the change in your driver's license and in the process, your tax obligations may also be affected.

The bottom line is this......unless you live in Hawaii on a full time basis, don't obtain a Hawaii driver's license specifically for lower golf course rates. The list of restaurants and activities that we have given you are indicative of the fact that you do not need a Hawaii driver's license to obtain Kamaaina discounts.
http://www.mauiresident.com/what_not_to_do.htm

Interesting stuff.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 797-3
This could bite you in many ways:

1. Hawaii contends that you are a state resident and owe state income tax. If you say you fabricated your address to get a driver's license, you could open yourself to prosecution if they wanted to do that.

2. You better check Florida laws to see if Florida residents must have Florida driver's licenses. Many states require you to get a license. If you are stopped by the police, they could issue you a citation and say "speak with the judge".

3. If someone hits you/your car, the opposing attorney may pressure you to settle by pressuring you in a deposition to disclose your driver's license and why you did what you did.

4. I have seen a recent Florida driver's license. It does not have SSN on them but you are required to disclose it. You might be able to use a box address or a work address.

I saw a Robert Redford and Brad Pitt spy movie, Spy Game. Redford tells Pitt not to lie too much when undercover because pretty soon you can't keep your lies straight.
I've already covered the issue of residency - as far as my Hawaii DL is concerned, I've not changed my official residency. As I wrote upthread, I could put any address I want on the license, and claim any address as my permanent address. I already cleared this fact with the Honolulu DMV. I could theoretically change the permanent address on file with the HI DMV to my FL address, while keeping the address appearing on the card itself, the one in Honolulu. Only the mailing address appears on the license, not the permanent address. Thinking about it after the fact, nothing would have been wrong with putting my FL address on the license app and using the Honolulu mailbox address as the 'mailing address' appearing on the license. Perfectly legal according to HI state law, and I can go online and update it if I feel it could be an issue later.

I'm not concerned with the issue of the Florida law - thousands of people are living in FL right now with out of state licenses and out of state license tags, and have been doing it for years, a few of my own neighbors are examples of this.

I don't think #3 is relevant or something I would be concerned about. If someone in a legal capacity forced me to claim a reason for the HI license, I'd answer 'in-state discounts and I'm thinking about a permanent move there' - I'm not going to talk about the issue of airport ID.

I know the new FL DL cards do not show the SSN - but my main reason for not getting a new FL DL is due to the state selling personal information to marketers and their 'secure' computer systems being hacked with a loss of digital photos and digitized signatures. When Tallahassee learns to respect my personal privacy and protect my personal data, I might consider getting a license there, but not now.

Avoiding the Florida DMV experience is alone worth the whole effort of getting a license in another state.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by 797-3
Many states require you to get a license.
perhaps you meant something different, but as it is, please tell me which state requires you to get a license?

imagine all the handicapped people, blind people, or just simply people that don't want to drive. all criminals?
Old May 7, 2008, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
Did you really think "foreigners" weren't able to get a driving license?
Michigan started denying legal immigrants without permanent residency the ability to get a driver's license in January:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...or_illega.html
(I do not know the current status of this asinine policy.)
Old May 7, 2008, 3:06 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
Huhh? If you are legitimately in the country, are working studying etc., you should be able to apply for a driving license of the state you are in. If you're not a citizen you will need to bring your passport and associated paperwork showing you're legal in the country. Did you really think "foreigners" weren't able to get a driving license?

Tourists visiting the country shouldn't be able to get one (although I remember reading on FT abt it being "possible"), and my statement above excludes this exception.
I specifically mean that I wanted one as a tourist, and I basically wanted it for ID reasons. I spend most of my time in vegas when I'm there, and carrying my passport around with me everywhere is sooner or later going to cause me massive problems. In addition my home driving license is a piece of crap which has given my countless hassles at car rental agencies in the US.

I really don't understand why a DL in ameica has such an association with residency and right to remain. It should be specifically a permit to allow you to drive. AFAIK anyone visiting england etc can just give an address and take the test.

I've heard that a provisional license may be posible to obtain prior to a full DL, and just be kept for ID purposes. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old May 7, 2008, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition my home driving license is a piece of crap which has given my countless hassles at car rental agencies in the US.
That you can change...just exchange your UK license for the new EU-format card-style license.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
That you can change...just exchange your UK license for the new EU-format card-style license.
My current licence isn't an english licence, would make my life easier if it was, but I specifically don't want one of them either...
Old May 7, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Just understand that this new HI address WILL end up on your credit reports.

In my day, I've removed the following from my credit reports:
My brother and his wife's address
My father's office address
My old employer's address

Addresses are something that they hoarde like gold. It will find it's way onto your credit report.

PS - you do know there are much easier ways to keep your ID "safe", right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.