Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Fake" Drivers License is a Done Deal

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I claimed the Florida DL lost, so I could dispose of it myself - the information on it was too sensitive to let out of my hands. They went into the national database and canceled the FL license for me, so although I can lock up the card at home (or shred it), the license itself is no longer valid.

The smaller ID card is one benefit - my old license being 'self laminated' was pretty huge, and never fit properly into my wallet. The new one tucks in perfectly.

The discount is a very small part, but not a motivating factor for doing the license there. From what I was told, they guard the issuing of State ID cards more tightly to prevent people from just getting the card for discount purposes. Truthfully, I've been spending so much time in Hawai'i for many years now and feel closely bonded to it - add in the 'no residency requirement' and no address verification for the DL, and it was a natural fit.

One potential hazard - the license has the state flag of Hawai'i prominently displayed across the top band. Of course, the state flag of Hawai'i is comprised partly of the Union Jack, along with stripes which don't match the US flag colors. I am now taking bets on how long it will take for a TSA screener to reject the license on the grounds that it's 'foreign'.

I think the jury duty is not an issue as they make provision for folks who are living on the mainland, even for license renewal.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I claimed the Florida DL lost, so I could dispose of it myself - the information on it was too sensitive to let out of my hands. They went into the national database and canceled the FL license for me, so although I can lock up the card at home (or shred it), the license itself is no longer valid.
What do you mean by claimed Florida DL lost? Who did you tell it was lost? FL? Why didn't HI take it from you?
Old May 6, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
It is illegal in most (perhaps all) US states to concurrently hold a driver's license from more than one US jurisdiction.
When my wife moved here from AZ, she got a new HI drivers license with her AZ license. They handed her back the AZ license(not altered or punched like I've sometimes seen) with the new HI license.

If you've got some statutes to read somewhere, I'd be interested in perusing them.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:32 pm

I can't find the original ID thread where I stated my intention to do this, so pardon the new topic.

After a recent altercation with SEA TSA over my very old FL drivers license, the new 'ID regulations' and the fact my FL license has my SSN on it (making me a sitting duck for ID theft if I ever lost it), I decided to get a new drivers license in Hawai'i where they don't really care what your real address is. My goal with this project was securing a new license which was both legal for driving and met the TSA's silly new regulations for acceptable ID, while at the same time, not show my actual legal home address or have an address on file which is traceable back to where I really live. In the case of the TSA 'writing down' the info off my DL, or losing the license, I would be protected from ID theft or other TSA miscreant behavior, not to mention the satisfaction of 'sticking it to The Man' as far as this ID nonsense goes.

I rented a mailbox in Honolulu for my 'Hawai'i residence', visited the DMW office on Dillingham after arriving in Honolulu, and filled out the forms to transfer the Florida DL. The experience, save for the harder-than-expected written test was a pleasant breeze. Total time was under 1 hour, which was less time than it would have taken me to get *into* any Florida DMV office, let alone finish the process. Everyone at the DMV office was so nice, I almost fainted from shock - smiles, patience, laughter - I wasn't sure if it was really the DMV.

Total cost was $20 including the test, and the license paid for itself after saving $24 with my new Kama'aina discount at the Bishop Museum. I also noticed I was treated differently everywhere from my hotel, to restaurants, even to the ABC store if they saw the Hawaiian license - kind of a 'you're one of us and we'll treat you better' feeling.

Pro - I have a TSA compliant ID, they have no idea where I really live (so much for security, eh?), and I'm better insulated from ID theft since my name will not officially match with the DL address as far as the credit bureaus go.

Con - One of my worst photos, ever!
Well, seems like you went a little overboard if you're concerned about the TSA finding out your address and other such information. Is your date of birth on you license and is it accurate? If so, assuming they have a legitimate purpose, that's all they need. Honestly, that's enough information to find a good deal of information on most people using search engines and "web-detective" sites on the internet. Unless you are truly "off the grid," you may find it more difficult than you believe to "stick it to the man." Another thing...you might want to check Florida's laws regarding your driver's license since a quick review might indicate you are in violation of said laws.

Anyway, glad you had some fun.

TB

Last edited by TerminalBliss; May 6, 2008 at 1:37 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 1:34 pm

Whenever the State Department gets around to issuing US Passport Cards (June/July), they should be valid for domestic travel ID. TSA Link

Cost is only $20 if you hold a valid Passport and are willing to mail it with your application. It'd be valid for 10 years and there's no need for a P.O. Box. You just miss out on a 'vacation' in Hawai'i.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thenewbie
Whenever the State Department gets around to issuing US Passport Cards (June/July), they should be valid for domestic travel ID. TSA Link

Cost is only $20 if you hold a valid Passport and are willing to mail it with your application. It'd be valid for 10 years and there's no need for a P.O. Box. You just miss out on a 'vacation' in Hawai'i.
Hell will freeze over before I'd buy a US Passport Card for domestic travel. I don't care if they paid me the $20 to take it.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by humanoid94
What do you mean by claimed Florida DL lost? Who did you tell it was lost? FL? Why didn't HI take it from you?
I didn't have it with me when I went in - they just canceled it online directly, they only needed the number, not the card. The card will be locked up or shredded when I get back to Florida. There is too much personal information on it for me to let it out of my hands.

The license was issued in '87, long before the Internet and before identity theft was a glimmer in the eye of some crook. Back then it was considered 'handy' to put the SSN on the license (why carry two cards?), just like we used to write it on personal checks.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:58 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband actually did lose his CA DL last year; most annoying as we had to drive to LAX and fetch him since he was afraid to try renting a one-way car with his expired one. Anyway, to get it replaced I just made an appointment, he turned up at DMV with his passport and they didn't even take a new photo like they do for in-person renewals or state ID cards. They just gave him a replacement with the same photo and number.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
Well, seems like you went a little overboard if you're concerned about the TSA finding out your address and other such information. Is your date of birth on you license and is it accurate? If so, assuming they have a legitimate purpose, that's all they need. Honestly, that's enough information to find a good deal of information on most people using search engines and "web-detective" sites on the internet. Unless you are truly "off the grid," you may find it more difficult than you believe to "stick it to the man." Another thing...you might want to check Florida's laws regarding your driver's license since a quick review might indicate you are in violation of said laws.

Anyway, glad you had some fun.

TB
The issue is mostly forms and papers laying around which this information is collected on, then disposed of in an unknown manner, and likely in violation of the Privacy Act. I'm sure The Man can find out anything they want on me if they needed to - I've seen just such a check done for me by someone who worked at a company contracted to gather this data. Of course this new address is not 'on the grid', so it won't show up.

I'm also equally interested in protecting myself from identity/credit theft should the wallet and license ever get lost. The address from the mailbox center leads nowhere - the data on the USPS document references my office, and given my mailroom's inability to even know who I am 5 years into my job, it's unlikely they will remember me should anyone trace the address there and want to verify something.

Florida law requires residents to have a FL drivers license, but they cannot address the issue of dual residency - they can claim I'm a resident, so can Hawai'i. Since I can drop anchor in either port, I'm not going to flip flop licenses. I can register to vote in FL before next November, then change my registration to HI right after.

Either way, it's mostly for privacy protection and partly for fun.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Either way, it's mostly for privacy protection and partly for fun.
ID Laundering: It's not just for criminals any more.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
When I went in to switch my New Jersey DL to a Florida DL they gave me my old NJ DL back, it still had a couple years to go. So now I have two DL's
Sam
Old May 6, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
....Florida law requires residents to have a FL drivers license, but they cannot address the issue of dual residency - they can claim I'm a resident, so can Hawai'i. Since I can drop anchor in either port, I'm not going to flip flop licenses. I can register to vote in FL before next November, then change my registration to HI right after...
1) no, you don't need a FL drivers license to register a car in Florida or get insurance - many folks, especially snow birds, have cars both in FL and other states. The car registration is independent from the license. There are no 'out of state' licenses in FL - they want proof of residency and address...
I'm not following you here. Are you a Florida resident? If so, are you not required to have a Florida drivers license and register your car with FL tags?

FL does issue to Non-United States Citizens. I have one.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
ID Laundering: It's not just for criminals any more.
Hell yeah.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:42 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Hmm... this makes me wonder.. are there other countries offer legal ID to US citizens?
Something like this? http://www.freebooter.com/camouflage-passports.asp
http://www.freebooter.com/camouflage...t-pictures.asp

I bet TSOs can't tell a difference.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly-yul
I'm not following you here. Are you a Florida resident? If so, are you not required to have a Florida drivers license and register your car with FL tags?

FL does issue to Non-United States Citizens. I have one.
I don't claim Homestead Exemption and I'm not yet registered to vote - so the issue of residency is a loose one. Am I a resident of FL? Yes. Am I am resident of HI? Yes. Whose DL should I carry? Until told otherwise, I will carry the one I prefer. The car is registered in FL, but that doesn't make me a resident, as I pointed out upthread - lots of people register cars in FL and keep residence elsewhere. Just ask snow birds from VA who pay taxes on the value of their personal property where they register their Lincoln Town Cars.

If I claim Homestead in the future, that would technically require me to get a FL DL - but that's a wild card right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.