Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I Take Pictures Of TSA Employees?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I took photos, they tried to confiscate my camera phone. I won.

In San Juan, PR, I took photos on both sides of the screening area - of employees goofing off. I only took photos from the PAX side of the screening process (i.e. no photos of the computer screens, etc). After gathering my belongings and snapping one more photo on my camera phone, I was stopped by a screener and asked if I was taking photos. I said yes and the fun began.

First, the supervisor demanded to see the photos, I refused. Second, she demanded I delete them, which I refused. Third, she demanded to have my phone, which I refused. She then said she was calling a LEO and the FSD and I said, fine, keeping my phone securely in my hand. While waiting for the LEO and FSD she demanded my boarding pass. I refused.

FSD shows up. Asks what's going on. I explain I took photos of the screening area and his employees goofing off. He asked if I took photos on the other side of the xray, and I told him no (I couldn't have gotten over there anyway). He gave me his card, I gave him mine. I went to my gate.

End of story. I can only imagine how ticked off that supervisor was - she lost big time.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:19 am

Have you, by chance, posted the photos somewhere?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Have you, by chance, posted the photos somewhere?
No, but now that you ask, I may just do that....
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at the screener story from Denver. There is a big picture of screeners at work right on the Fox 31 web site.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DC-COFlyer
No, but now that you ask, I may just do that....
Well, post a new thread if you decide to put the offending photos online.
You could always photoshop the TSO's to disguise them a bit, so as not to infringe on their rights...
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by dchristiva
At JFK last month, I saw a family getting hassled by a security person for trying to take photos of the plane from which we just disembarked. It was a NW flight from MSP and we pulled into one of the gates that has the glass walkway down to the jetbridge, so it was a good vantage point from which to take photos. I think they got one off before the security person shoo-ed them away saying "no pictures, no pictures". Crazy times.
I had that happen to me at DTW. Flew in from central PA on the smallest NW airplane I had ever been on, so as we walked across the tarmac to the gate, I stopped and took a pic. I was approached and told to delete the pic, or loose my phone. (I fumbled around with the phone and walked away without deleting my pic) but could just as easily have taken the photos from inside the terminal through the big picture windows

D
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
how about this....

if the tsa posts pictures and videos of their employees on the tsa website (which is a public website), then i should be allowed i take pictures of them myself? n'est pas?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IslandBased
You could always photoshop the TSO's to disguise them a bit, so as not to infringe on their rights...
There is no infringement of rights if you are using the images to "report on newsworthy events" as I'm sure would be the purpose of posting them. That being said, if you make disparaging comments in your "report" then you are subject to libel/slander issues, so be careful in what you state.

If you use the images for commercial purposes (ie sell them as stock photos) you most likely need model releases from the pictured parties.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:21 am

My secret to taking pictures of stuff: always travel in a group or with atleast 1 other person. Have the group stand infront of what you want to take a picture of, but not actually in the way. Take picture. Looks much less obvious than just taking the picture.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:35 am

cross-reference related post

see also: PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport? (in particular, see post #7, my survey of photography and video recording policies at 50 U.S. airports)
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:37 am

I don't have time to look up the relevant case rulings but the common areas of an airport act as public property even if privately owned. Look for the ruling that allows religious and other organizations the right to be at the airport and approach the passengers.

Because of this ruling you are allowed to take photographs of anything in view from that public space. (First Amendment protection)
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:37 pm

Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:41 pm
DRZ

I recently was 'shooed away' while watching the checked baggage screeners. No pictures attempted.

I was curious about these little red stickers they put on some bags after screening.

I think if a bag doesn't have one on it it means "search it later when the guy's not watching us".

But, anyway, it seems you're not allowed to watch them do their job.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:45 am

Hmmm, I cant tell you how many home / trip photo's I am in. Some folks think its funny when their traveling partner gets pulled for random screening. We usually have a pretty good laugh about it, and to be honest I dont mind the pictures.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by DWNewman
. I was approached and told to delete the pic, or loose my phone.
Technically, they can't legally do that, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.