One Quart size bag

Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

One Quart size bag

What would happen if I put more than one quart size bags in my carry-on bag? does it have to be only one quart size bag per person? can't I have more than one quart size bags ??? Would they throw them away without my permission?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:10 pm

The TSA site says only 1 quart sized clear ziploc baggie is allowed. They may confiscate the other ziploc baggie from you.

Ziploc is just a generic term I used.

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/311/index.shtm
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
No, they wouldn't throw them away WITHOUT your permission ... only WITH your permission!

You would also have the option of taking the items back to your car, mailing them to yourself, or giving them to a non-traveling friend who had accompanied you to the airport. But items exceeding the 3-1-1 rule, either in size or quantity, are prohibited and have been for awhile (hence you probably won't be granted much mercy by screeners if you fail to follow the rules).

Note, 3-1-1 does NOT apply to medicines, or milk, formula or juice in appropriate quantities if you are traveling with an infant, so you could carry on these items in addition to your Kippie bag, although doing so may result in a bag check.

I would recommend that you simply pack all toiletries not needed during the flight in your checked baggage.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate

Note, 3-1-1 does NOT apply to medicines, or milk, formula or juice in appropriate quantities if you are traveling with an infant, so you could carry on these items in addition to your Kippie bag, although doing so may result in a bag check.
Please define an appropriate quantity.

Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:48 pm
UAL

Programs: UA

Thank you.
Look at the TSA sites:
http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

3-1-1 for carry-ons =
3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ;
1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag;
1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I would recommend that you simply pack all toiletries not needed during the flight in your checked baggage.
Of course, most frequent fliers *don't* check bags. @:-)
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by UAL
Look at the TSA sites:
http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

3-1-1 for carry-ons =
3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ;
1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag;
1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Note, 3-1-1 does NOT apply to medicines, or milk, formula or juice in appropriate quantities if you are traveling with an infant

Thank you.

Boggie Dog was asking (I think) what the definition of an appropriate quantity is for the exceptions to the 3-1-1 rule. What's "too much" liquid medicine or formula? At the mercy of a TSO's random idea of what's acceptable?

Just don't ever try to explain to a TSO the difference between the avoirdupois ounce (think weight) and the fluid ounce. Brings back memories of trying to explain that the 5oz net weight tube of toothpaste I had actually had less volume than the 3 fl oz tube of hair gel. Pointing out the obvious size difference of the tubes didn't help.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:46 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
What's "too much" liquid medicine or formula? At the mercy of a TSO's random idea of what's acceptable?
Yes.

Where prescription medicine is concerned, I have NEVER seen a TSO have an issue with quantity. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but ...

Non-prescription: A really big gray area. I have seen TSOs taking things away that are supposed to be permitted. Remember, the phrase, "I need this for a medical condition," is your friend! Don't be afraid to ask to speak to a supervisor,

Liquids for a baby or small child: I think the official guideline is that you are allowed approximately as much as you will need during your flight and any connecting flights. Also, the items ought to be for the CHILD. (Please don't tell me your 1-liter diet Coke is for your infant.)

Water is kind of a gray area. It's really up to interpretation by the TSO. Some will say that free potable water (drinking fountain) is available airside, thus you can't take bottled water through.

In any event, think in terms of REASONABLE quantities. If you want to take an entire case (or whatever) of formula, enough to last for your whole week's vacation, it's a good idea to put it in your checked bag.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
It's no big deal. Just ask the person next to you in line to carry your extra bag. People do it all the time.

Just don't let the drones see you.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:44 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You could use a 1-liter sized bag to get a little extra volume. A liter is about 6% larger than a quart, and would be what a traveler from outside the US would have to use. (Likewise, with the "3-1-1" rule, it's actually 3.4 fl oz which should be allowed, to comply with the 100mL size pretty much the rest of the world has available.)

Some people have reported problems with the TSA going with a liter bag and 3.4 oz containers, but I've never had one (yet).

I have also had TSOs confused by the difference in weight and volume, having an obviously large shaving cream container that had recently been reprinted by the manufacturer to show volumentric rather than weight measurements (holding two identical cans side-by-side, one reads "3.4 oz," the older one "5.6 oz," the latter being by weight vs. by volume, as they weigh the same).
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
No, they wouldn't throw them away WITHOUT your permission ... only WITH your permission!
That may be the way it's SUPPOSED to work, but at several airports I've been through the screener never gave passengers the choice: "I'll have to confiscate that and throw it away ma'am". Saw this done with baby food at BWI to a woman with child in-arms.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
I need to direct you to the MULTIPLE TSOs that has a beef with my wife's 1Q bag then. All items in the bag are legal and she went out and bought sample sizes of the products she uses. The TSO tossed the bag as it was 'too full'.
So 'without your permission' is utter BS.
I still love the day when I was told that my 3.0 ounce deodorant was not acceptable because it was greater than 3 ounces. The explanation? 3.0 is not 3 and 3.0 is greater than 3 so no fly!
I've met with my congressman and, nothing personal, I really hope to put you out of a job.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by KDHawaii
What would happen if I put more than one quart size bags in my carry-on bag? does it have to be only one quart size bag per person? can't I have more than one quart size bags ??? Would they throw them away without my permission?
I was behind a woman in the security line and she had 5 bags. TSA said PICK ONE the rest are getting tossed........ Then she turned and started asking strangers to hold her bags!!! Umm....that didn't go over too well.

So just one bag and don't overstuff it. If it is overstuffed they will rifle it and randomly toss things.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've packed various carryon items in quart-sized ziploc baggies for years, so I've long had more than one in my bag.

I've had to modify my packing somewhat so that I have only one of them stuffed with liquids for the last 19+ months.

The TSA can go straight to hell if it asserts a one-bag limit on me. I've always got extras.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Water is kind of a gray area. It's really up to interpretation by the TSO. Some will say that free potable water (drinking fountain) is available airside, thus you can't take bottled water through.
I guess I'm somewhat curious, would this be water in general or water as needed to mix infant formula? And for that matter, if I were travelling with an infant and one TSO's tells me there is free water at the drinking fountains can I ask for a supervisor (purely from a water purity standpoint)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.