One Quart size bag

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
I guess I'm somewhat curious, would this be water in general or water as needed to mix infant formula? And for that matter, if I were travelling with an infant and one TSO's tells me there is free water at the drinking fountains can I ask for a supervisor (purely from a water purity standpoint)?
I am referring to water for an infant or small child. Water for adults generally isn't permitted, although you may be able to claim you need it for a medical reason. (I have allowed it to go through under those circumstances, after testing it of course.)

Also, as I posted elsewhere, if a person comes through with Gatorade or Vitamin Water, I'll ask them if they need it for medical reasons (HINT HINT!). The ones smart enough to catch my drift get to keep their beverage (again, after testing).

You can always ask for a supervisor. It's kind of a crapshoot!

I'm not sure how far you'll get with the "water purity" argument, as water from fountains generally comes from a public water supply, and thus is considered safe to drink. Also, for the fussy, bottled water usually can be purchased airside!

In my experience, most TSOs are pretty lenient when it comes to parents with small children. Traveling with kids is enough of a nightmare as it is!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
I am referring to water for an infant or small child. Water for adults generally isn't permitted, although you may be able to claim you need it for a medical reason. (I have allowed it to go through under those circumstances, after testing it of course.)

Also, as I posted elsewhere, if a person comes through with Gatorade or Vitamin Water, I'll ask them if they need it for medical reasons (HINT HINT!). The ones smart enough to catch my drift get to keep their beverage (again, after testing).

You can always ask for a supervisor. It's kind of a crapshoot!

I'm not sure how far you'll get with the "water purity" argument, as water from fountains generally comes from a public water supply, and thus is considered safe to drink. Also, for the fussy, bottled water usually can be purchased airside!

In my experience, most TSOs are pretty lenient when it comes to parents with small children. Traveling with kids is enough of a nightmare as it is!
The water may be, in general, considered safe. However, there is no guarantee that the fountain itself is hygienically safe...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
The water may be, in general, considered safe. However, there is no guarantee that the fountain itself is hygienically safe...
Right, from bateriological and virological issues to the potential for lead or other harmful mineral accumulation / leaching into the fountain's storage tank, there are quite a few concerns I'd have about giving a baby or a kid water from an airport fountain.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:25 pm
Suspended

"It's no big deal. Just ask the person next to you in line to carry your extra bag. People do it all the time.

Just don't let the drones see you. "

That's a rather irresponsible suggestion. You should never, ever take a bag of anything through security for someone you don't know. A responsible traveler wouldn't ask this of anyone else either. Trying to scam your way through security with more things than you're allowed slows down the line for those behind you.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
...overstuffed...
I assume by overstuffed you mean the zipper can't be closed? If any number of 3.4 oz. containers fit in a bag with a closed zipper, then by definition it isn't overstuffed. The quart bag was chosen to be "safe" for their fantasy bomb maker to carry through security, and that quart has to be measured with the bag as bulgily spherical as possible. Wouldn'tcha think?

[Yes, I know I just made up "bulgily." Use a soft-"g". It sounds nice.]
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Boggie Dog was asking (I think) what the definition of an appropriate quantity is for the exceptions to the 3-1-1 rule. What's "too much" liquid medicine or formula? At the mercy of a TSO's random idea of what's acceptable?

Just don't ever try to explain to a TSO the difference between the avoirdupois ounce (think weight) and the fluid ounce. Brings back memories of trying to explain that the 5oz net weight tube of toothpaste I had actually had less volume than the 3 fl oz tube of hair gel. Pointing out the obvious size difference of the tubes didn't help.
To confirm I have had on two ocassions similar discussions with TSA on the difference between a fluid oz and a net weight ounce, always clearly shown on the label. If my recollection serves me correctly this was covered in grade school. Just what are the TSA's educational requirements, anyway?

Stay the curse!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
I assume by overstuffed you mean the zipper can't be closed? If any number of 3.4 oz. containers fit in a bag with a closed zipper, then by definition it isn't overstuffed. The quart bag was chosen to be "safe" for their fantasy bomb maker to carry through security, and that quart has to be measured with the bag as bulgily spherical as possible. Wouldn'tcha think?

"Sir, this has too many items. All your liquids' containers must fit comfortably in the 1 quart zip lock bag."

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear them complaining. I'll ask them next time."
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by sailman
To confirm I have had on two ocassions similar discussions with TSA on the difference between a fluid oz and a net weight ounce, always clearly shown on the label. If my recollection serves me correctly this was covered in grade school. Just what are the TSA's educational requirements, anyway?

Stay the curse!
It seems to be one year of being a mall security person. So whatever qualifies you for that. In other words just about anyone who can wear an ill fitting uniform.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
I assume by overstuffed you mean the zipper can't be closed?

They have to "lay flat" you know one layer of stuff in the bag. When the bag is lying flat in the bin, all items must be visible without having to scrunch anything around to see what's in there.......
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Trying to scam your way through security with more things than you're allowed slows down the line for those behind you.
Not if the person accepts it, it doesn't. @:-)

I still wouldn't take anything through the line for someone I didn't know quite well... but the claim of "slowing down the line" has to be the most inane reasoning I've seen in quite some time. You must work for Kippie.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle
so.... I have been using a nice little transparent plastic bag with a zipper, guess I feel that is a ziploc bag too... It's for sure more than the 1qt bag.

There is for sure too much stuff in it and the containers are bigger than they are supposed to be.

Went through security with it at least 50 times the last year NEVER had any questions or issues with it.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Brings back memories of trying to explain that the 5oz net weight tube of toothpaste I had actually had less volume than the 3 fl oz tube of hair gel. Pointing out the obvious size difference of the tubes didn't help.
Since a dry ounce (which is the same as a net-weight ounce) weights about 16% more than a liquid ounce, the 5oz net weight toothpaste would weigh more (5 x 1.16) than the the 3 fluid ounce tube of hair gel.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
Since a dry ounce (which is the same as a net-weight ounce) weights about 16% more than a liquid ounce, the 5oz net weight toothpaste would weigh more (5 x 1.16) than the the 3 fluid ounce tube of hair gel.
Actually, the weight of a dry ounce depends on the density of the material. 1 mL of water weighs approximately 1 g, and likewise 1 fl oz water weighs around 1 oz. But if something has a lower density than water, it can have more volume for the same mass of water (and vice-versa). @:-)
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM
My quart size bag has been on about 24+ flights since it was first used....its about time to retire it and go with a new one I think.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
They have to "lay flat" you know one layer of stuff in the bag. When the bag is lying flat in the bin, all items must be visible without having to scrunch anything around to see what's in there.......
Are you sure? TSA's own web site doesn't seem to say that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.