Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first truly retaliatory TSA experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:35 pm

This sounds like you definitely got retaliated against, and they attempted to do that BS and hide the complaint cards that you guys keep telling us about. Very sad, and I can understand your anger. A couple things to ask and mention though.

A few things, I take it you were not originally selected to be a selectee? Did they write SSSS on your boarding card? Or just initial it, and then threw you into secondary?

Is it normal for an ID checker to check a person's ID and then ALSO give them the secondary?????
Not unusual. In a stint, I end up making around 40-50 people a day selectees, who were not originally.

Something that O asked me that was unacceptable (IMHO) was if I had any medical devices or implants. I told her that whether I do or do not is not her business and she snapped, "I just want a yes or no answer!" I said, "Well, you won't be getting one."
Why on earth was THIS offensive to you? Please explain. This wasn't, "are you wearing a thong or panties". We are required to mention before wanding anyone. Honestly, I would have been annoyed with this response and taken my sweet time wanding you. Did you even get wanded? I'm wondering if they just said, screw it, your getting a full body patdown. If you had answered that way to me, I'd have given you a full body as well.

Did you consider filing a police complaint for groping you? If she was getting as frisky with you are you allude to sounds like criminal complaint time.
Sam
Unless of course she did correct SOP procedures. Unless she is grabbing her chest or smacking her ..., I think your not really going to win, let alone get the LEO there to do anything.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Iworkhere
Not unusual. In a stint, I end up making around 40-50 people a day selectees, who were not originally.
40-50 people in just one day? Whoa! That's many. Why? Suspicious behavior? False IDs?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369
40-50 people in just one day? Whoa! That's many. Why? Suspicious behavior? False IDs?
Expired ID's mostly, that's the bulk of them. A few crappy ID's where you don't even know who it is. A lot of expired PR Id's.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:02 pm

Expired ID's mostly, that's the bulk of them. A few crappy ID's where you don't even know who it is. A lot of expired PR Id's.
Just make sure you never remind the passengers that their ID/DL is about to expire. It's not like anyone forgets to renew.

Originally Posted by essxjay
As DL renewal is a matter between the OP and their DMV, little reminders by unaffiliated parties strikes me as meddlesome rather than "just trying to be helpful," which is the common retort. @:-)

OFTMFD.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by honeytoes

Just WOW. I am quite livid right now, so kindly indulge me. Sorry in advance that this is such a long post...

I just experienced a truly retaliatory assault from a TSO going through the B terminal (elite line, even) at PHL. I am just so angry right now. The only things that give me solace are posting here to a (I hope!) sympathetic audience and knowing that this is likely the best job the pathetic TSO will ever have.

So, let's begin.

I handed my ID to the TSO (we'll call her "O") and she began her thorough investigation. She said, "Remove your glasses" and I did (sunglasses). (I had forgotten they were still on my face.) When she finished her check, I took my passport and boarding pass from her and walked over to the belt to begin my process. I heard her snap to my traveling partner who was behind me, "Oh no she di'in't just snap those out my hand!" I knew I was going to get a retaliatory. My friend told me after we both got through the line that she immediately got on her walkie talkie and said something to the supervisor.

I am in the line pushing things down toward the X-ray machine and I looked around to see O huffing toward the guy on the other side of the WTMD. She said something to him and he made a point to look right at me. I knew that was it. Cattle chute, here I come.

Before I even walked through the WTMD, I knew what was going to be happening and I said to my friend that he should watch the games begin. The TSO who checked my ID, O, huffed over to me in the glass box and told me that I was supposed to let her know what bags were mine. I did and then she barked that I should step into the screening area. Please let me make you aware that I did not alarm the machine. *sigh*

Is it normal for an ID checker to check a person's ID and then ALSO give them the secondary?????

She was an absolute c-word to me and was absolutely taking pleasure in her secondary. I have never in my life been so completely felt up by anyone before. I was shocked. Oh, and did I mention that at least 4 other TSOs were just standing around were watching this whole thing with smiles on their simple faces?? Something that O asked me that was unacceptable (IMHO) was if I had any medical devices or implants. I told her that whether I do or do not is not her business and she snapped, "I just want a yes or no answer!" I said, "Well, you won't be getting one."

During the whole feel-up procedure, she was WAY too thorough. I mean, listen, I am not the type to be easily offended. Really I am not, but CRIPES what the hell was she doing? I DIDN'T ALARM so I asked her why she was doing such a thorough job. She kept smiling and laughing softly to herself and she was clearly taking pleasure in what she was doing.

I looked behind me and spied a woman and I asked if she was a sup and she said yes. I told her that I wanted to speak with her. O finally completed her exam and said that she was finished. Then I got to chat with the sup who I'll call "E."

E was even more of a peach than O was. I told her that I wanted a complaint form and she said, "I need your drivers license and your boarding pass." I told her that she did not need that information in order to give me a complaint form. She huffed away and came back with a paper and a phone number to call. I asked for her badge number and name, but she told me that if I didn't give her MY information she wouldn't give me HER information. I said, "Okay, thanks, E, badge number 12345." And then I walked away.

I guess they don't think that people exist who can remember names and badge numbers without writing them down immediately. Well, I can. I have them both written down so that I can write my complaint letter.

Can someone PLEASE help me to figure out the best way to write this letter??? I am so angry that I can't exactly compose it right now. Will writing this letter yield anything whatsoever?? Or should I just forget it and be thankful that I was born with the smarts to get a real job?

Comments?

***sigh***

I would have given my right butt cheek to have Spiff there with me.

At least I didn't give in to the sup's request for my personal info. Grrrrrr....

If it makes any difference, I am a female. I am also a Chairmans Preferred on US, so I am no newbie to travel.

(Oh, I apologize for any typos or spelling errors. I am honked off right now. I am about to get on a plane, but I'll be checking back in here as soon as I get to the hotel.)
A letter sent directly to the Airport manager of PHL (and a copy to the TSA Federal Security Director) explaining why you'll take your business elsewhere would do quite well. Also send a copy of your post here and the link. Airport managers do not like losing passengers to other airports, your best tool against the dragons teeth (the TSA screener) is economic one.

Each flight you take from a different airport, send a polite note to the PHL airport manager explaining how much better you were treated.

Oh and I can suggest using your cellphone camera next time. Most of us use PHL and would like to know who it was. If she did it once, she'll do it again.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by honeytoes

So, let's begin.

I handed my ID to the TSO (we'll call her "O") and she began her thorough investigation. She said, "Remove your glasses" and I did (sunglasses). (I had forgotten they were still on my face.)
If your ID photo is w/o glasses, they can demand that you take your glasses off that you might be wearing? What if you need them to see? What happens if your ID photo shows you in glasses and you don't have them on when going through the ID check at the airport? Do you have to produce a pair?

It sounds to me as if she left her duty station.....is that allowed?

Could it be that she likes other women and was truly enjoying what she was doing to you?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I read the OP slightly differently... not is is unusual for the ID checker to designate a selectee. But rather is it unusual for the ID checker ("O") to make someone a selectee AND for "O" who was just busy checking IDs to be the person conducting the secondary? That part also struck me as unusual and seemed to be why the OP bolded the question.

Why on earth was THIS offensive to you? Please explain. This wasn't, "are you wearing a thong or panties". We are required to mention before wanding anyone.
You might need to know if I have a metal implant that would set-off your hand-held detector or a device that could be affected by the wanding. This isn't what was asked, though.

You don't need to know if I have an artificial eye, breast implants, or any number of other possible medical devices/implants. Unless you are an MD, can explain WHY you need to know and are prepared to offer a notice of how my private information is being protected, you are NOT entitled to nor are you getting my medical history.

Honestly, I would have been annoyed with this response and taken my sweet time wanding you. Did you even get wanded? I'm wondering if they just said, screw it, your getting a full body patdown. If you had answered that way to me, I'd have given you a full body as well.
So, you are advocating a retaliatory full body patdown? Just because a passenger gives an answer you don't like?

(Why do I keep reading threads in this forum? It just makes me or .)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I would write to the FSD for the airport, by certified mail - return receipt (so they can't deny receiving it), and make sure that your elected representatives also get copied (with a brief cover note) also return receipt. Personally, I'd also copy the airport manager and mayor/head of tourism for the city, even though they're powerless. (and if mad enough, I'd contact well placed people in the media....)

There is no reason to be treated the way you were. At least you had a witness.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:59 pm

I think it's best to write to the airport manager and the PHL station manager for your airline. They're more likely to listen.

This behavior is so petty... giving a small person a tiny bit of power and a uniform--it's a dangerous combination.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:17 pm
Cee

Originally Posted by scoow
I read the OP slightly differently... not is is unusual for the ID checker to designate a selectee. But rather is it unusual for the ID checker ("O") to make someone a selectee AND for "O" who was just busy checking IDs to be the person conducting the secondary? That part also struck me as unusual and seemed to be why the OP bolded the question.
Yes, it is unusual for the ticket checker to leave their post to do the secondary screening. Apparently, she didn't trust her co-workers to do as good of a job as she could do. An absolute retalitory secondary!

You don't need to know if I have an artificial eye, breast implants, or any number of other possible medical devices/implants. Unless you are an MD, can explain WHY you need to know and are prepared to offer a notice of how my private information is being protected, you are NOT entitled to nor are you getting my medical history.
The only medical implants that we are concerned with are pace-makers and insulin pumps. Those devices are sensitive to the hand held metal detectors. Someone with a pace-maker should not walk thru the WTMD or be hand wanded. It is a question we ask everyone. We are not concerned with breast implants or any other implant. Just the "mechanical / battery operated implants". Some of our screening devices can throw those things out of wack.

So, you are advocating a retaliatory full body patdown? Just because a passenger gives an answer you don't like?
I thought that we all decided that legitimate complaints involving retaliatory secondary screeners were ok to post, including screeners names and location?

On a side note, if someone on this forum can not get a complaint form at the time of the incident, hit me up. I will get one to you...and I wont require I.D.

(Why do I keep reading threads in this forum? It just makes me or .)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:24 pm
Cee

Originally Posted by doober
If your ID photo is w/o glasses, they can demand that you take your glasses off that you might be wearing? What if you need them to see? What happens if your ID photo shows you in glasses and you don't have them on when going through the ID check at the airport? Do you have to produce a pair?
It is all in the eye's. Peoples eyes don't change much in their lifetime. I could be looking at an I.D. of a 300 pound women with long, brown hair. The women I am comparing the picture to is now 140lbs with blonde hair. The only similarity is that she still has the same eyes. Eyeglasses, not an issue. Sunglasses hides the eyes.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Cee
It is all in the eye's. Peoples eyes don't change much in their lifetime. I could be looking at an I.D. of a 300 pound women with long, brown hair. The women I am comparing the picture to is now 140lbs with blonde hair. The only similarity is that she still has the same eyes. Eyeglasses, not an issue. Sunglasses hides the eyes.
Really? You can recognize the eyes of the person at whom you are looking when compared to the 10 pixels each dedicated to their eyes in a typical driver's license?

That's cool. If you can guess age and weight, too, you have a job waiting for you at the carnival. Oh... wait...
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
And we all know that the day after your ID expires it is no longer you
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:57 pm
Cee

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by sinanju
Really? You can recognize the eyes of the person at whom you are looking when compared to the 10 pixels each dedicated to their eyes in a typical driver's license?
Yep, I can. And besides, some of the sunglasses people are wearing hide half their face too.

That's cool. If you can guess age and weight, too, you have a job waiting for you at the carnival. Oh... wait...
Aaaahh....That's why they hired me...@:-)
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by scoow
Guess it depends on the airport.
You might need to know if I have a metal implant that would set-off your hand-held detector or a device that could be affected by the wanding. This isn't what was asked, though.

Because if we are told to ask this, and if you say yes or no, continue the advisements or issue warnings. I don't know why people are acting as if medical implants are some how tit jobs. It's intended as medical devices and (medical) implants. I don't need to know, till I use the hand held metal detector over your artifical eye and it spasms in your head. If people would not be entirely defensive about EVERY aspect of screening it wouldn't be so difficult. The one time you don't offer someone the advisements is the one time the person has a pace maker and starts flopping on the ground. Then you guys would be posting that topic all over the forums about some idiot TSO who didn't follow SOP and killed someone.

You know, I've had people be a smart a$$ to me before, and excessively difficult, for no apparent reason. If I had someone who if I told, "Well sir, you've alarmed the walk through metal detector, I'm going to have to do this that and the other. First, I'd like to ask you, do you have any medical devices or implants?" And they tell me it's none of my business, then I might be a little annoyed. Then I would put them through a full body patdown and contact my supervisor.

I've had an instance where a gentleman who was clearly a frequent flyer, came through the mag and it alarmed.

Me: "sir, please step out, and remove your belt"
Him: "I fly all the time and this belt never alarms"
Me: "Sir, this metal detector is really sensitive, I have issues with my own belt, I highly recommend you remove it, it's just this metal detector"
Him: Gets indignant and raises his voice, "I fly all the time and this belt NEVER alarms, I fly twice a week blahblahblah"....
Me: **Motions for him to come through**
**Alarm**
Due to staffing, I had to wand him because I had 2 females on my lane, and it was 2-3 minutes before I got to him, but when I did, I took my sweet old time wanding him.

Haveaniceday -
Just make sure you never remind the passengers that their ID/DL is about to expire. It's not like anyone forgets to renew.
Yes, because it's my job to tell them to brush their teeth and wipe their ... too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.