Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA at ORD: Passport "scrutiny"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny how the pros at Immigration have managed to allow me back into the country hundreds of times with no more than a cursory glance at my passport plus a swipe of the mag stripe (since those were added).

Yet the agency that has thus far demonstrated incompetence at its core mission (screening passengers and bags efficiently) has taken on the added task of inspecting each page of my passport in a desperate, pathetic attempt to find a fake one.

I've got a better idea: adopt the methodology used by Immigration. Look at it and swipe it and keep the lines moving.

And people actually ask whether Hawley and Chertoff are indeed idiots. The detailed inspection of passports by airport screeners is just more evidence affirming that they are idiots.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
ORD T2 TSA - My Favorite! <sarcasm>

But but but... they are my favorite TSA agents ever! They bring me joy and laughter every time I pass through that checkpoint (once a week).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=acrylic
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:41 pm

[QUOTE=FWAAA;9367609]

I've got a better idea: adopt the methodology used by Immigration. Look at it and swipe it and keep the lines moving.

QUOTE]

Great idea. Now all they need is some electricity at the ticket/document checking area for those readers. That would be much easier then using the lights and lupes on U.S. passports.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:42 pm

deleted
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=Cee;9367527]

The TSA doesn't "take away" passports.

Ok, you might be right that they don't take away passports per se. However, if you find a passport that looks, let say odd (e.g. heavy use or something like that), that makes you question something about the document, what is the procedure. My understanding is that it is not given back to the person presenting the ID. At this time isn't it up to TSA what to do with ID. (I assume that you call a LEO, and pass it to them) However, it is TSA that has "taken it away". Now I have heard instances where a LEO questions a document as well (NEXUS, CANPASS, and odd ball (i.e. not a DL or Millitary) government ID's), and asks for another, lets the person go but keeps the questionable document until such time as the document can be verified as authentic. In this case with your passport (if that is the document) the odds of you ever seeing it again are slim and none.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
However, if you find a passport that looks, let say odd (e.g. heavy use or something like that), that makes you question something about the document, what is the procedure.
Why would heavy use be "odd" or cause one to question the validity of a passport?

I know several people with double-annexed passports, many of which feature a homeresque butt-like curvature due to frequently being stored in a rear pocket. Is that odd too?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Funny how the pros at Immigration have managed to allow me back into the country hundreds of times with no more than a cursory glance at my passport plus a swipe of the mag stripe (since those were added).
It is an OCR stripe, not a magnetic stripe.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Do I really look like that?

Originally Posted by Ari
It is an OCR stripe, not a magnetic stripe.
True, plus the new passports can also have a "RFID Read" or whatever the proper term is for interrogating and receiving from your new little blue cover mobile personal info transponder.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:19 pm
Cee

[QUOTE=MSY-MSP;9368339]
Originally Posted by Cee

Ok, you might be right that they don't take away passports per se. However, if you find a passport that looks, let say odd (e.g. heavy use or something like that), that makes you question something about the document, what is the procedure. My understanding is that it is not given back to the person presenting the ID. At this time isn't it up to TSA what to do with ID. (I assume that you call a LEO, and pass it to them) However, it is TSA that has "taken it away". Now I have heard instances where a LEO questions a document as well (NEXUS, CANPASS, and odd ball (i.e. not a DL or Millitary) government ID's), and asks for another, lets the person go but keeps the questionable document until such time as the document can be verified as authentic. In this case with your passport (if that is the document) the odds of you ever seeing it again are slim and none.
That is a tough question, because I don't want to cross the line into SSI. I can tell you that I haven't had to make a LEO call on a passport, or turn one over to a LEO for the examples that you have given above. I have had screeners bring an I.D. to me because they have questioned it, but it has never resulted in a LEO call. What a LEO does with a questionable I.D., I have no idea. I know this doesn't help you much, sorry to be so vague.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Appreciate the sentiment, but actually I'd rather they not swipe anything.

TSA/DHS badly wants to keep dossiers of our domestic travel history for use in data-mining our associates, homes, destinations, etc. (i.e., "secure flight" derivatives) so that they can have even more false positives that harass even more innocent US citizens. There's no reason to make it that easy for them to do so.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by studentff

TSA/DHS badly wants to keep dossiers of our domestic travel history for use in data-mining our associates, homes, destinations, etc. (i.e., "secure flight" derivatives) so that they can have even more false positives that harass even more innocent US citizens. There's no reason to make it that easy for them to do so.
This is the exact reason why I will not use the CO PDA-based BP option (being tested now in IAH), since it requires allowing that information to be scanned by TSA at the CP.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by studentff

I thought they already had this information.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
This is the exact reason why I will not use the CO PDA-based BP option (being tested now in IAH), since it requires allowing that information to be scanned by TSA at the CP.
So you're running late, your BP is on your Phone which you have to turn off before flight, the line is long and just as you get to TSA BP Check your battery dies. Go back to the counter and get a paper pass? You just missed your flight. No thanks to Living Electronically on this dumb idea.

Besides, without a paper BP, how can all the TSA Scribblers with highlighters, sharpies and colored pencils circle all those important BP things like your gate and destination city? They'll go postal with nothing to scribble on.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Politely ask for both a LEO and someone from ICS (if the airport has international in it, or has international flights there is a representative from ICS at the airport) to come to checkpoint.
Uh, jargon check for the benefit of our studio audience, MSY-MSP: What agency is the ICS?

INS = Immigration and Naturalization Service
CBP = Customs and Border Protection
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement
ICS = ???
Old Mar 6, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by essxjay
Uh, jargon check for the benefit of our studio audience, MSY-MSP: What agency is the ICS?

INS = Immigration and Naturalization Service
CBP = Customs and Border Protection
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement
ICS = ???

Thanks, I thought I was the only person who had no clue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.