Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Bin Per Person - And That Means YOU!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:25 pm

Stupid thing to even suggest, even dumber to attempt to enforce one bin per person. The problem is, when we do lack bins (MCO had a serious issue with this a while back, and now we have a retarded cart system which is a serious b*tch to get in and out), and we ask people to put their shoes, backpacks, or suitcases right on the belt, they don't.

You guys don't like to be delayed, but we have a very limited amount of rollers at our airport, and the more of those bins used, causes us to do more work with our limited manpower for no reason.

Anybody (and I mean anybody) at the airport who yells at me about taking more than one bin can Go Straight to Hell.

Let's review what I have to remove: Laptop out of bag. One bin.

Shoes off and one quart KHIAI baggie. Another bin.

Small plastic bag of food for flight. Another bin.

Jacket or coat. Another bin.

Don't like it? Go ..... yourself.

Perfect example. Your shoes, jacket, and food could fit all in one container, with the liquids on top or thrown in a bowl with your change/keys/cell phone.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:35 pm

I guess it would be too much trouble to adopt a system like I have seen in Europe where the bins after they are used are just placed on rollers that gravity-feed them back to the starting point for them to be used again. Cuts down on labor required so Mr. One-Bin TSO can find something else to do.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:53 pm

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
There is no way I could go with only one bin. I have to use three every time. I could cut it down to two if the laptop didn't have to go solo.

1 - Laptop
2 - Jacket, shoes, Kippie, cell phones
3 - Tools laid out (always triggers a bag check)

If I am only allowed one bin, why not just leave everything in my bag?

I have had TSAers look at my Kippie then place it beside my laptop. The one time I place my Blackberry in the bin next to the laptop (not on it) I got yelled at. I wish they would be consistent.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I guess it would be too much trouble to adopt a system like I have seen in Europe where the bins after they are used are just placed on rollers that gravity-feed them back to the starting point for them to be used again. Cuts down on labor required so Mr. One-Bin TSO can find something else to do.
Definitely too much trouble.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Have not been thru BWI since I moved away from DC 8 years ago. With that attitude I won't be back soon...
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
removed

Last edited by Top Tier; Mar 5, 2008 at 12:39 am Reason: Ridiculously lame attempt at humour redacted
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GOFFend
How foolish!
I've personally meet the current director Mr Hawley and several other senior officers at a social event in D.C. Yes, the topic came up about the TSA's operations and the conduct of the field personnel. During the initial conversation opening he interrupted with a angry and contempt filled response about anyone who would think to complain about him, or the TSA.
I was shocked by his retort.
It only reinforces what I learned years ago; an organization's “attitude” is a reflection of its leaders attitude.
So since the means to complain effectively, are not present would it not mean that it's not a priority of the management?
So, based on personal experience, would you say Kip Hawley is an Idiot®?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Iworkhere
Stupid thing to even suggest, even dumber to attempt to enforce one bin per person. The problem is, when we do lack bins (MCO had a serious issue with this a while back, and now we have a retarded cart system which is a serious b*tch to get in and out), and we ask people to put their shoes, backpacks, or suitcases right on the belt, they don't.
Because, of course, it's perfectly reasonable to demand that the paying passengers subject their personal belongings such as shoes, backpacks, or suitcases to a demonstratedly-higher likelihood of damage (due to getting caught up in the conveyor belt) because your agency can't provide adequate supplies for the line.

Come on, Iworkhere, I truly expected better than THAT from you...

You guys don't like to be delayed, but we have a very limited amount of rollers at our airport, and the more of those bins used, causes us to do more work with our limited manpower for no reason.
See above.

Anybody (and I mean anybody) at the airport who yells at me about taking more than one bin can Go Straight to Hell.

Perfect example. Your shoes, jacket, and food could fit all in one container, with the liquids on top or thrown in a bowl with your change/keys/cell phone.
Resulting, more than half the time by the reports here, in getting yelled at by the mouthbreathers among you who can't follow THEIR OWN AGENCY'S RULES. No thanks. I agree with those who've said, basically, that if they are going to be hassled by the moat dragon, it'll be for doing what needs to be done in spite of the barkers' "orders".

Don't be a moat dragon, PLEASE!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:06 am

erictank -
Because, of course, it's perfectly reasonable to demand that the paying passengers subject their personal belongings such as shoes, backpacks, or suitcases to a demonstratedly-higher likelihood of damage (due to getting caught up in the conveyor belt) because your agency can't provide adequate supplies for the line.

Come on, Iworkhere, I truly expected better than THAT from you...
I have never seen a suitcase, briefcase, or backpack get "caught" in the belt. Ever. Strollers it happens to from time to time, generally when they're too big for the machine. I throw my shoes, which have to come off every time I go in and out of the checkpoint , and my backpack 3-4 times a day through the x-ray. Nothing has ever been damaged. Please tell me how bags you've seen ripped to shreds caught in the belt?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I refuse to put my purse, jacket etc on top of WET shoes. Just got my travel agenda for April. I'm driving over 300 miles each way to a meeting because it is not much slower than flying.

Not my choice, but I will do it.

Since all this TSA stuff started our maximum driving distance has grown and grown, but this is the first time it has gotten to 300 miles!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Abundance of Caution

My response to bin rationing; It is with an abundance of caution that I will continue to use as many bins as I deem necessary to protect my property from real or imagined threats. There is a certain satisfaction to be gained by throwing TSA's poor excuse for policy and procedures back at them.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw8146
My response to bin rationing; It is with an abundance of caution that I will continue to use as many bins as I deem necessary to protect my property from real or imagined threats. There is a certain satisfaction to be gained by throwing TSA's poor excuse for policy and procedures back at them.
That "abundance of caution" line is the rason I have never given a DIME to airports since this whole war on moisture things started.

If I can't be trusted with my bottle of water, why should I trust that $4.00 bottle of water at Hudson News that has not been screened?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
One bin?

Sure! Tell Candyass Kip that shoes will remain on passengers' feet (where they belong!), liquids will not be put in an Idiot baggie or otherwise restricted, laptops will remain in bags, and the stupid list of prohibited items will be sharply reduced.

Until that happens, take 'one bin' and cram it sideways, BWI and other stupid TSA stations.

Last edited by Spiff; Mar 5, 2008 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:28 am
Cee

There is no written policy on the number of bins a passenger can use. Use as many as you want!

Honestly though, because laptops are so dense, when they are in a bag you can't see anything else that is in the bag with it.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, different airports use different bins of differing size.

At LAX (my home airport, which constitutes approximately half of my screening encounters), management bought relatively small bins. They're about the size of a typical newspaper and about three inches deep. Some airports use full size restaurant bus tubs. Not LAX.

A full-size pair of adult shoes and the bin is full. The food is often in a typical carryout styrofoam clamshell and effectively fills a bin. Jacket? I'm not a two-year old - my jacket more than fills the bin by itself.

It's this sort of arrogance (all your stuff could fit in one bin) that reveals the TSA as nothing more than an institutionalized effort to annoy people. Not to provide real security for Americans. Just an organized effort to needlessly hassle them. Thank you for so eloquently demonstrating my point.

As I said before - anyone who yells at me at the airport about the number of bins I use can GO STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Don't like it? Let's call over a real LEO. Maybe that will curb the screeners' disorderly conduct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.