Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

CBP form to take samples/demo unit in and out of USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum

I'm flying to Asia today with a piece of demo equipment as checked luggage. The last time I took some demo equipment out and back in, I naively checked on the customs form that I had samples with me. I ended up going through a secondary customs inspection and questions upon my return to the first point of entry into the US. The CBP told me I needed to have filled out a form before my departure from the US. None of the TSA people on my first outbound leg today could answer my question (not a surprise) or had heard of any such form.

I have a MSP-PDX leg before continuing to NRT and ICN. I don't know how I would get access to the CBP to get this form. I did not see any form to download from the CBP web-site except for one regarding registering personal goods of value being taken out the country to avoid paying duty upon one's return to the US.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:03 am

I would get written statements from the people who told you they didn't know or had never heard of the forms.

They love to screw you over with details but refuse to provide them...typical.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWstu
The CBP told me I needed to have filled out a form before my departure from the US. None of the TSA people on my first outbound leg today could answer my question (not a surprise) or had heard of any such form.
It's not surprising the TSA didn't have any information--they are not responsible for Customs, and, quite frankly, I am glad of that. Still, it would be nice if the newly streamlined DHS would have employees familiar with the workings of other parts of the Department, but don't hold your breath--TSA employees often don't know much about their TSA job, let alone the job of other officers.

I found the same form you mentioned. Whatever the form is, though, it is going to need to get stamped by a CBP officer, so why don't you go to the customs desk at your outbound airport and ask them for assistance?
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:31 am

CBP Form 4455. It will need to be signed/stamped by CBP before you leave. Good luck!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I found the same form you mentioned. Whatever the form is, though, it is going to need to get stamped by a CBP officer, so why don't you go to the customs desk at your outbound airport and ask them for assistance?
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/
That was my intent, but my outbound was MLI, which has no CBP that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, I had no time in MSP or PDX to get anything done because of a long walk between gates (MSP) and two short layovers.

I will have to try my luck on arrival.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deeg
CBP Form 4455. It will need to be signed/stamped by CBP before you leave. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm in Narita now on layover, so won't be able to do it on this trip.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWstu
That was my intent, but my outbound was MLI, which has no CBP that I'm aware of.
They do, but it has very limited staff (one officer), so you'd want to call ahead to make an appointment. The CBP office there is not located in the terminal building (but is on airport property).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.