Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Jill Rides an Airplane! (A vision of the future)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC

http://punkwalrus.livejournal.com/701187.html

United States Department of Edutainment presents:
JILL RIDES AN AIRPLANE!
FASCO Films Department: (c) 2015

Jill is 23. She is going to fly from Newark, New Jersey to Los Angeles to see her grandmother, whom she hasn't seen since she was 11.

A few months ago, Jill had to go to her state-approved physician to apply for a Right to Fly exam (a FASCO class C exam). She had to submit blood tests and take a basic psychological profile exam (30 minutes of 500 questions). Her doctor passed her, and she was able to apply to the Federal Air Safety Control Office for a FASCO 101 compliance. In her paperwork, she had to detail her arrival and departure time, purpose of visit, a list of people she would see on her visit, a list of her last 4 previous addresses, and a list of all places she has visited for more than 1 hour 20 miles or more away from home. In addition, she has to provide the names and contact information of two witnesses who can vouch for her status as a citizen where one of them has to already have FASCO clearance within the last 5 years. The entire form has to then be notarized, submitted with some DNA samples, a fingerprint, and a current photo. Upon completion, Jill submits the entire set of forms, and waits 4-6 weeks.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
An amusing bit of satire, but like many sci-fi visions of the future, there's no chance it will actually happen. I wouldn't mind some of that sleep gas for my next long haul, though.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
While I appreciate the art of satire as much as anyone, I'm not convinced this thread is suitable for TS/S. Mods will consult on this, but leave the thread open for the time being. Please keep the discussion topical.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
An amusing bit of satire, but like many sci-fi visions of the future, there's no chance it will actually happen. I wouldn't mind some of that sleep gas for my next long haul, though.
You really think NONE of this can happen? Look at flying in the 80s compared to now...look at immigration/biometrics/lists.

Naive to think everything will be just dandy.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Really? Almost eve

Last edited by studentff; Jan 5, 2008 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by vesicle
You really think NONE of this can happen? Look at flying in the 80s compared to now...look at immigration/biometrics/lists.

Naive to think everything will be just dandy.
I didn't say NONE of this CAN happen. I'm saying MOST of it WON'T happen, especially not by 2015 as the article implies.

From a practical standpoint, the renovations to airports needed for the remote check-in and inspection facilities would cost hundreds of billions to implement system-wide.

And from a societal standpoint, the rigorous medical and psychological exams needed to board a plane (not to mention the naked screening checkpoints) would drive many Americans away from taking a flight in the first place. Thus, an already fragile airline industry would be deprived of a significant portion of its customer base. They would need billions of dollars in subsidies to stay in business. This on top of the billions already being spent for the airport renovations.

This article takes a dab or two of truth, taps into a deep vein of present-day hysteria, and presents a vision of the future that has no connection with reality. Just read any of the great sci-fi writers of the 20th century, and you will see similar bleak visions of the future. 1984, anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.