Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

REAL ID will make things interesting in May, 2008

Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

The REAL ID / Chertoff thread focuses on DHS's plan to require ID by 2017. However, I noticed that while REAL ID was "postponed 5 years", in fact, driver's licenses from states that have indicated they will resist REAL ID will not be valid ID for travel. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,322187,00.html

But Chertoff, as he revealed final details of the REAL ID Act, said that where a particular state doesn't seek a waiver, its residents will have to use a passport or a newly created federal passport card if they want to avoid a vigorous secondary screening at airport security.
Starting with http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733246,
I've been poking around the web, and what I've found is that today while TSA will allow pax to travel without IDs, they will only do so if the airline issues a BP with the SSSS marking. It turns out that some airlines flat out refuse to issue BPs without photo ID.

So this means that many airlines will see a severe drop in revenue, and the lines in many airports, such as ATL, DEN, ORD, and SEA are going to get very long.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 13, 2008 at 12:07 pm
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
I wonder if this is the thing that will finally get Chertoff booted out of the cabinet?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HeHateY
I wonder if this is the thing that will finally get Chertoff booted out of the cabinet?
And out of the country hopefully, too.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
chertoff (чертов) = devil (russian translation)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I read an article in the paper about REAL ID today, and how it could cause grief for travelers to/from Hawaii (I forget whether Hawaii is resisting it). The article completely failed to say anything about passports.

Am I correct in presuming that my machine-readable (though not chipped; I happened to get it shortly before they started that) passport, issued by the US (federal) government, will be perfectly okay as ID for both international and domestic travel, until it expires?

If so, I couldn't care less about REAL ID, because I consistently use my passport as ID when I'm traveling, even if it's just domestic.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I read an article in the paper about REAL ID today, and how it could cause grief for travelers to/from Hawaii (I forget whether Hawaii is resisting it). The article completely failed to say anything about passports.

Am I correct in presuming that my machine-readable (though not chipped; I happened to get it shortly before they started that) passport, issued by the US (federal) government, will be perfectly okay as ID for both international and domestic travel, until it expires?

If so, I couldn't care less about REAL ID, because I consistently use my passport as ID when I'm traveling, even if it's just domestic.
Well I'm glad to see AZ is one of the states who is still resisting. I hope they stick to it. Can't wait to see how long the lines get after this one....... maybe just MAYBE it will impact ma & pa kettle enough that they will finally start questioning the legitimacy of this bullsht.
This is total retaliation and it is wrong. It does nothing to keep us safe and does so much more to tighten the rope around our necks.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Well I'm glad to see AZ is one of the states who is still resisting. I hope they stick to it. Can't wait to see how long the lines get after this one....... maybe just MAYBE it will impact ma & pa kettle enough that they will finally start questioning the legitimacy of this bullsht.
This is total retaliation and it is wrong. It does nothing to keep us safe and does so much more to tighten the rope around our necks.
AZ is one, GA is another. Homes to two of the legacy airlines, and homes to two of the busiest hubs in the US....

Chertoff is just doing what a good bureaucrat does: Wah "if you don't do what we feds say, we'll cut off your state's funding and deny your citizens any federal benefits" Wah. This is a time-tested means of making states cow-tow to the feds.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_id...non-compliance

Hawaii is indeed one of resisting states. In May it is going to suck in HNL.

It should be. Of course, the irony is that when you got your passport the first time, your Hawaii state ID was used. And I imagine states that comply with the Real ID will require passports to get a driver's license. I live in Colorado, and last year help my kid get her instruction permit at the DMV. I happened to have her passport, and this saved a lot of stupid paperwork. And CO is among the states resisting Real ID. Imagine the lines at the DMV once Real ID is implemented, and imagine the conversations:

"You need a passport to get a DL or state ID"

"But I'm getting a state ID in order to a get a passport"

After your passport expires, you won't have Real ID in order to get a new passport, unless the feds permit the use of your expired passport to be your proof of identity.

It is going to be a mess.

I just don't see how the 39 states resisting Real ID are going to get on board by May. Legislatures work at a glacial pace.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Possibly, but understand he is only a scapegoat. Congress voted for this crap, and Chertoff's boss signed it.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
chertoff (чертов) = devil (russian translation)
Revelations is true! I gotta get me baptized.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Air
Las Vegas DHS ID Check

Passed through LAS yesterday (and have done weekly for some time), and noted that the ID check at D terminal is more & more like an immigration point at POE. Now there are desks (with large DHS logo), with pass-thru barriers, and TSA agents checking ID. LEO & "Supervisor" stand behind the lines to ensure "security".

I am just waiting for the three question check -
"Where are you going?"
"What is the purpose of your trip?"
"How long have you been in .....?"

etc.

Scares me to death - the terrorists must be laughing their a$$ off at our stupidity.

This on top of the the fact that over 50 will not need REAL ID until 2017.

Please, please make it stop & let's get back to REAL Security!!!

Sorry for the rant!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765

I just don't see how the 39 states resisting Real ID are going to get on board by May. Legislatures work at a glacial pace.
I hope they don't. Ever.

Instead, Comrade Chertoff and Real ID should be ejected from this nation.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by BG Portland
"Where are you going?"
<point to BP>
<stare of complete and utter contempt>
<stare of complete and utter contempt>

Maybe some of the recent activities by angry passengers at EZE will start occuring in the US. However, instead of directing that anger at airline personnel, it would be directed at "security" personnel. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by mre5765
Of course, the irony is that when you got your passport the first time, your Hawaii state ID was used.
Yes, ha!, although it wasn't the only documentation required to get a passport (state ID is considered proof of ID, but not proof of citizenship).

What gets me is Hawaii's state ID already has - and has had for almost a half-dozen years - my full legal name, signature, date of birth, sex, driver's license number, a photo of my face, and the address where I live, has info encoded in a 2-D machine-readable barcode, and has a hologram over it all. Sound a lot like what REAL ID is trying to accomplish? Sure does to me!

(Of course, the hologram is the outline of the Hawaiian islands, not North America... and of course there are probably back-end database interconnection pieces missing.)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
But how is it essentially any different than when the contractors were checking IDs? The TSA person checks the ID, signs your boarding pass, and lets you go on. I remember the contractors did the same thing, and some of them had desks too. I'm also sure that the contractors did some SPOTTing and reported suspicious behavior, or reported fake ID's, right?

So how is it really any different with TSA?

Passed through LAS yesterday (and have done weekly for some time), and noted that the ID check at D terminal is more & more like an immigration point at POE. Now there are desks (with large DHS logo), with pass-thru barriers, and TSA agents checking ID. LEO & "Supervisor" stand behind the lines to ensure "security".

I am just waiting for the three question check -
"Where are you going?"

etc.

Scares me to death - the terrorists must be laughing their a$$ off at our stupidity.

This on top of the the fact that over 50 will not need REAL ID until 2017.

Please, please make it stop & let's get back to REAL Security!!!

Sorry for the rant!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.