Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Short version: Crossing back from Mexico seems to be getting more contentious recently. We won't let this stop us from going across but I am going to try and research a little more what my rights are when entering the US with a valid US passport and nothing (besides a full tummy) to declare. I read this thread and gathered that they can now hold you without council and do pretty much any kind of search they please short of body cavity without cause or warrant. Is that correct?

Long Version:
We had an interesting experience crossing the Mexican border last night. We had a carload of folks and went over for dinner at a popular restaurant. When we were coming back we stopped at the checkpoint as usual. We handed over our documents and the custom's agent seemed really tweaked that we had gone across the border to go to dinner. He starts grilling my husband in a really nasty tone about why we had gone to Mexico, where we had gone, what we had for dinner, where he worked, who he worked for etc which he answered. Then he has him open the trunk and gets really freaked out about our battery charger and a camera tripod that was in the back - demanding to know what all that "equipment" was that we were carrying across the border. My husband told him that it was a battery charger and a tripod. Again with the questions... what is the tripod for. Answer: photography. Q: Is my husband a hobbyist or a professional photographer: A: with increasing irritation:both. Q:What did he mean both? A: Ah both, mostly hobby but he's sold some pieces. Q: To who??? A: HUH?? Q: who have you sold photos too? A: Not that it is any of your business but.... (Keep in mind we don't even have a camera in the car)... Then he starts asking my husband again where he works, who he works for and why we went to Mexico..... HFS! They went round a few more times and he finally let us go.

Is this the ICE version of SPOT? Keep in mind folks in my town go over the border to eat 2 -3 times a week sometimes because there are some great restaurants so this can not be the first time this nimrod has heard of people doing this.... Up until this trip and the one prior we've not had any issues at all. Last time we had a couple of questions and opened the trunk - no biggie. This time the 3rd degree. Other people we spoke to this morning have had similar experiences in the last month at that and other border crossings.

Have we now demonized Mexico so much that anyone crossing the border is guilty of SOMETHING?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Have we now demonized Mexico so much that anyone crossing the border is guilty of SOMETHING?
No. We've demonized the entire population of the world so that anyone foolish enough to come back to the US must be doing so with nefarious intent. Seriously, if I didn't live here and need some time to pack up my life (and convince the wife) I wouldn't come back.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by osamede
No I am not naive, just aware of what democracy actually is- and what my tax payment is actually for. You may want to ask yourself the same question, because that is how democracy goes down the drain.
This is NOT a democracy! Oh, how I wish it were!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
This is NOT a democracy! Oh, how I wish it were!
Actually we live in a Republic. I am assuming that since it is not a "demacracy" you will not be voting for the next leader of our country.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I crossed several times this month and have noticed little difference from past trips. Sometimes longer at the bridge based on various factors. They asked a few simple questions that we answered nicely and they let us thru. I actually notice little differences when going into different countries with the exception of Mexico which actually does not care who comes in from the North, only the South.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:56 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by illinifan
Actually we live in a Republic. I am assuming that since it is not a "demacracy" you will not be voting for the next leader of our country.
No one in America will, they will be voting for electors who will then cast their binding votes for President sometime in December.

I saw no change at the south border at Del Rio last summer, other than the guy being miffed at my Official Passport, even though it was valid.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.