Wiki Posts
Search

Lazy TSA workers at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P
Lazy TSA workers at MIA

I was flew into MIA from an international destination and continuing onto California. The handle on my Atlantic 25" bag has a zippered cover. I saw the woman TSA agent unzip the cover and leave the bag to be scanned. I tried following the bag to make sure the cover was zippered shut. Once going through x-ray, it was impossible to see it. Of course upon arrival it was not. Fortunately it didn't get broken enroute or the flap torn. Although this is very small, TSA should be held to the highest standards and this is just laziness. And I'm sure if my handle did break, they would blame me.

And as an aside, since Travelpro owns Atlantic now, it would take over a year and a half now to get a handle as was explained to me from the Travelpro "Customer Service" line for my 22" rollerboard. Apparently the handles are in customs and they should get them any day. My experience was covered in a couple of other threads on this.

Last edited by 12172003; Dec 21, 2007 at 3:09 am
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've seen time and time again that the TSA just cuts those TSA-approved locks instead of putting the effort into getting the master key, we've know there's an element of laziness at the CTX machine.

Helpful hint: The Costco-brand, Kirkland, makes a bag just as good, as the Travelpros. If you're into buying the name, get the Travelpro. If not, I'd recommend getting the Costco brand. There's a thread in OMNI about it.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LessO2
Helpful hint: The Costco-brand, Kirkland, makes a bag just as good, as the Travelpros. If you're into buying the name, get the Travelpro. If not, I'd recommend getting the Costco brand. There's a thread in OMNI about it.
If you do a search for my thread about Travelpro in TravelBuzz (name?), you'll see I'm not exactly a fan of Travelpro. In fact, I avoid them like the plague. Now that they bought Atlantic, I'll avoid Atlantic too. When Atlantic was indepedent, I had excellent success with them but will also avoid them since Travelpro bought them. the next time I need a bag, I'll take a look at the Kirklands but it's probably going to be about a long while with my B&R's.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
A few years ago we bought the hardsided luggage from TravelPro. We took one flight with it and when we landed and collected our bags both of them had cracks running the length of the bags. We saw that the Japanese tourists in Hawaii all had them, we liked the way they looked and decided to try them. They wern't cheap either.

TravelPro chose not to do anything about it. That was the first and last experience with them.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This isn't just a TSA problem - lazy+Miami go together like milk+cookies.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Two words of advice:

Briggs & Riley
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There's a simple solution. Don't check bags. Has served me well the past few years.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There's a simple solution. Don't check bags. Has served me well the past few years.
Not so simple if you are carrying items not allowed through security and can't readily nor easily be shipped ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.