Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
And over $20B in the preceding five years. Billions upon billions.
Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Hyperbole doesn't help your argument.
Except it's not hyperbole -- it's fact. You can Google the budget numbers yourself.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Article in the Washington Post states that Clear has contracted with the folks that run DCA and IAD. There is a guaranteed payment from Clear to the Airport Authority in excess of $500,000 per year.

By the time they pay that, plus the screening fees, plus the people to run the lines, they've got to have a LOT of people signed up. And the only real way to do that is to make the other lines unbearable. The airport authority now has a vested interest in eliminating elite lines and slowing down performance of the main lines to make people want to go with Clear.
I didn't realize that adding Clear gave an incentive to slow the regular lines to any entity in a position to accomplish this. Can you connect the dots as to how the airport authority would slow the regular lines? For example, are they able the control the TSA staffing levels?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:59 pm

Smile Is it one price for all CLEAR locations?

I'm not familiar with the economics. Would signing up in OAK allow me access at other CLEAR airport locations too? Or do you pay by the airport?

Between CLEAR and A-List I'll feel "oh so special" when I fly LUV in OAK
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by nsx
I didn't realize that adding Clear gave an incentive to slow the regular lines to any entity in a position to accomplish this. Can you connect the dots as to how the airport authority would slow the regular lines? For example, are they able the control the TSA staffing levels?
Elite lines - easy.

Regular lines - plenty of things that they can do. At many airports there's a "pre-checker" that examines ID and BP before you even get in line. They can undertake "construction" projects that interfere with flow of regular lines (BWI has been "reconstructing" the floors in the new WN terminal over the last 6 months, including the floors in the screening areas. They can and do negotiate with TSA over staffing levels and access. They can make it less convenient for the lines, or route them out the terminal doors. (At SAT, for example, the lines for screening are currently set up as dual lines at Terminal 1 - they could simply route them as a long single line).

Or, they could go and get TSA authority to contract the screeners out, at which point they will have direct control of the manpower (MCI has private screeners). That cost, by the way, would likely be passed on to the airlines.

There are lots of things they could do, depending on the contracts they have with airlines and other vendors.

Remember that the airport controls the lines, TSA controls the checkpoints.

Now the real question is will they? The answer: I don't know. Doing things that slow down lines will invoke the wrath of the airlines & passengers.

My point, and my only point, is that there is an inherent conflict of interest as the airport gets concession fees from Clear. If Clear doesn't get enough subscribers, the airport will lose the fees.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Except it's not hyperbole -- it's fact.
It is clearly hyperbole.

"billions upon billions" certainly produces an image which is much more than 20.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It is clearly hyperbole.

"billions upon billions" certainly produces an image which is much more than 20.
"A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money", Senator Everett Dirksen, Republican, Illinois.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bofc
I'm not familiar with the economics. Would signing up in OAK allow me access at other CLEAR airport locations too? Or do you pay by the airport?

Between CLEAR and A-List I'll feel "oh so special" when I fly LUV in OAK
Yep! One membership entitles you to access to the whole system, including registered traveller lines operated by entities other than Clear. I have used mine at SJC, SFO, IND, MCO, and RNO. Please, if there is a god - let there be Clear at LAX!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:16 pm

And it is also a literal, accurate description of what's been thrown down the TSA money pit.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:49 pm

No, it's not accurate.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:42 am

No, it's not accurate.
In other news, the sky is not blue and water is not wet.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This thread started out covering a subject of some interest to Southwest customers but mostly about Travel Safety and Security. Then, not too surprisingly, it devolved into a typical gripe session about the TSA. So I'm moving this to TS&S to continue any "discussion" you may wish to have.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We'll merge this thread with the myriad of other CLEAR threads that have been spawned over time.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Global Services; UA/1K (since 1991); Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Clear & The Absolute Stupidity of TSA

Gawd I'm getting sick of the stupidity of TSA and their mission creep. So I admit it, I joined Clear sometime ago. Heck, as a former government official with dozens of TS/SCI clearances, what the heck, at least move to the front of the line. And, I've corresponded with Steve Brill about the stupidity of a recent TSA ruling on ID checks, but experienced it for the first time at LGA last Friday.

Went to the Clear line, inserted my card, put my thumb on, and what do you know, the biometrics worked and identified me as who I was supposed to be. But, the poor Clear person asked me for my ID. (I knew this was coming but had to nonetheless question it). Why, I ask? "So I can show it and your BP to TSA so they can verify it." Huh? Didn't the biometrics just match me to the card and therefore, to the name on the BP? "Well, yes, but TSA requires this."

The poor kid then takes my drivers license (which is a duplicate, but think I'll get a fake one soon) and shows it to the TSA guy checking ID's, who looks it over, looks at my lovely face, back at the drivers license, and, yep, confirms, it's me!

This shows why so many people on here are sick and tired of TSA and this lousy excuse for screening. TSA is supposed to check for dangerous items, not look at drivers licenses in order to protect airline revenue. This schmuck at the screening line had no idea whether my licence was real or fake. At least Steve Brill and Clear knew I was who I said I was, but not TSA.

So, for all of you thinking about getting Clear so you can avoid some of the stupidity of TSA, hang on to your (fake) documents. The geniuses at TSA are still going to check.

Which reminds me, just what is the purpose of ID checking? They don't compare it to any watch list, they can't verify whether it's real or not; and, as we've seen on other threads you don't need ID to fly anyway.

This is why the public is becoming cynical. This is why people on here despise TSA. This is why I will continue to fight the stupidity of TSA anyway i can.

Go watch the German indy film, "Lives of Others". While others are moving toward freedom, we're inexorably moving toward a police state.

Glad I got that off my chest.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by oneant
Personally, I think CLEAR is a bunch of BS. Sure, you can get through the line sooner in some airports. But is just handing over your rights on a silver platter worth the cost?

This is what our gov't is best at these days. Acting as though certain things are law, when they're not. Then, once the vast majority buys into it and stops questioning, they make the unlawful lawful.

I STRONGLY urge everyone to reject CLEAR, and go about flying as usual.

No one is asking you to trade away your rights. You have the right to stand in a long line like anyone else if you choose.

Clear has saved me the indignities of long airport lines, making my airport time more efficient. It is a fair tradeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.