Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your right to fly without ID (proof at last)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:42 pm
pbz

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by oneant
Learn how to protest folks. Weren't any of you around in the 60s?
No. What are you proposing, a checkpoint love-in?

I hope there are lots of POS involved in that one.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I was very interested in the letter the OP posted, and I'm very happy to know what my actual rights are, but refusing to show ID is a futile battle. If it's going to be overcome, it sure as hell won't be at the TSA checkpoints. It will be in Congress. Even then, spurring Congress in the haunches won't happen through TSA checkpoint antics.

Learn how to protest folks. Weren't any of you around in the 60s?
So I guess I'll be handing daisies to the TSA while blindly obeying orders?

I didn't live in the 60's, but this is well within the same realm and concept of Civil disobedience. Perhaps the more people who challenge, the more likely LEO's and TSA will overstep their boundaries, which prompts media attention, which may affect change.

By the way, is you life really that busy that you are SO concerned about the one in a million fliers that is prepared to question authority? I'm mean really, the vast majority of Americans are perfectly trained in the concept of being Sheeple so I doubt this is truly going to impact you any time soon and most of your time at checkpoint will continue to be wasted by people who forgot to take their hand lotion out of their carryon.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Most airports != all airports

Do you have a source for that or are you just making it up to bolster you arguement?

Do the number of SSSS pax work into the allocation of screeners for SSSS duties vs. non-SSSSS duties? How about for TSA hiring decisions?
You know, amilesslave, I've been doing this moderator gig for a quite a little while now. And although I don't know what goes on in all 429 commercial airports in this country, I do draw on the accounts of those here to buttress my argument. So yes, I stand on my inference about "most airports."

As for your second and third questions, what do you think? I'm genuinely curious to know.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:55 pm
Original Member

There may be people waiting around to extra-screen the person who refuses to show their ID in "most" airports, but does that mean that the idiot taking the IDs knows about this lack of ID-checking enforcement?
Yes, they should.

All a pax needs to add to their declaration about lack of ID is to say, "I'll take secondary" or "I'll need additional screening." In fact, those of us (me, goalie, others here) who have metal implants and choose to show ID just the same know that since we'll be secondaried regardless of ID, it's easier ask for secondary up front. There is no need to argue and delay anyone. (I certainly take no pleasure in doing so.)

Last edited by essxjay; Sep 7, 2007 at 9:33 pm
Old Sep 7, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
You may want to apologize for insulting the intelligence of our readers upon further reflection, if, that is, your question about comparisons was sincere.

I'll address the facts of the civil rights incident involving Rosa Parks directly since others have handily dealt with the implications of your proposition.

Are you not aware that Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her seat -- in the "blacks" section, btw -- most certainly did hold up a full busload of other passengers? The bus driver, James Blake, had in fact left his seat to compel Parks and some other black pax to stand in order for white pax to be seated. Following a short exchange, the police were summoned and Parks was arrested. (Spoiler: Butterfly Effect ahead.) And in case, just as I was, you're still fuzzy on the rest of the facts that fateful day in December of 1955, she was convicted of disorderly conduct and fined $10 (which was immediately appealed).

So, it wasn't just Parks who was inconvenienced (or merely herself and the driver) on that day. Her actions also effected the few dozen or so pax already on the bus, pax waiting for the bus, people waiting elsewhere for those "stuck" on the stalled bus, etc. Doesn't this strike one as a eerily similar to the situation under consideration here? If not, I'm curious how one can fail to see it.

Yes, so much inconvenience to others for Parks' own "selfish" reasons.

About her decision to remain in her seat on the bus the day of her arrest, she later said, "I would have to know for once and for all what rights I had as a human being and a citizen of Montgomery, Alabama."

BTW, Parks deliberately held up bus loads of pax following the incident that triggered the Montgomery Bus Boycotts, which continued for more than a year until on Dec. 21, 1956, when SCOTUS ruled that segregated seating was unconstitutional.

Whether your hair is blonde or your skin purple, I think the flipness with which you've dismissed the discussion (and other posters) in this thread is regrettable and I hope that it's never again used as an excuse to do so.
Rosa Parks was a gutsy American hero(ine) who put her life on the line for her beliefs -- against her own government no less. I make that claim because history has documented that blacks in the south were lynched for far less "offenses" against the white establishment.

In the same city on the same municipal busline 12 years before Rosa Parks changed the course of history, my very Caucasian father, in the uniform of an Army Aviation Cadet, was nearly attacked by other Caucasian males for the offense of offering his seat to an elderly black man.

I have confidence that there is another Rosa Parks out there who will make the same impact in this current attack on our precious liberties.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by n5667
I hardly think this compares to the civil rights movement.
Hey, it wasn't a big deal, right? It was only a bus seat. She should have known her place and taken her seat at the back of the bus. Damn her for inconveniencing everyone else on that bus.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Did you know there are still countries where airport security doesn't care about ID's? In fact, there are airports (outside of the USA) where anyone can go through security and enter the passenger terminal .. passengers, meeters, greeters, etc.

No boarding pass is needed at the security checkpoint, there is no shoe removal, and overall commercial aviation is much more civilised than it is in the United States. There is no yelling or barking of orders at the security checkpoints; passengers are treated with respect, checked luggage is screened for explosives (and can be locked), and ETD screenings are also conducted at the checkpoints. Security is above and beyond international standards at these airports -- and on some flights, you might just get a hot meal at meal time, even in economy.
Reminds me of this country a few years ago.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by videomaker
Did you read the first post in this thread?
i had a reread of the first post and subsequent posts. There is no indication that if you do not show id, the TSAcannot insist on "hand checking your wallet". It is through that process that they can then pull out your id and copy down the information and i fail to see how anyone can fight it. That is why i ask: " even if you show the letter, how does one fight the TSAagent from insisting on hand checking your wallet and copying down information thereafter." It is not far fetched. SIN airport secuirty once insisted on hand checking my wallet.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Superguy
She should have known her place and taken her seat at the back of the bus. Damn her for inconveniencing everyone else on that bus.
Actually, she did know her place: She took a seat in the first row of the "blacks" section. Later, when some white passengers got on the bus and there was no seatting available in the "whites" section, the driver asked or told Parks and some others to give up their seats. While the statute from 1900 said that blacks did not have to give their seats to whites, it had become "customary" to do so -- presumably to avoid this very type of, er, incovenience.

It should also be noted that this same bus driver had not stopped to let Parks on his bus in previous trips.

On December 1, 1955, Parks finally had had enough.

When will we, I wonder?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by icarius
i had a reread of the first post and subsequent posts. There is no indication that if you do not show id, the TSAcannot insist on "hand checking your wallet". It is through that process that they can then pull out your id and copy down the information and i fail to see how anyone can fight it. That is why i ask: " even if you show the letter, how does one fight the TSAagent from insisting on hand checking your wallet and copying down information thereafter." It is not far fetched. SIN airport secuirty once insisted on hand checking my wallet.
If I were trying to justify a procedure as not infringing on rights, I would not cite to SIN. Saying that a check is not so bad because it was performed in Singapore is damning with faint praise. Such an authoritarian government is not my idea of reasonable measuring stick for our rights here in the United States.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Hey, it wasn't a big deal, right? It was only a bus seat. She should have known her place and taken her seat at the back of the bus. Damn her for inconveniencing everyone else on that bus.
I think you misunderstand - the civil rights movement was something that actually mattered. Comparing yourself having to show I.D to get on a plane to the civil rights movement does nothing but demean the civil rights movement.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
Sure it does. It takes a screener away from the regular screening processing to give the ID-refusing pax the SSSS screening. The SSSS screening doesn't just happen by itself. Thus, all other pax behind are delayed.
Originally Posted by essxjay
No. There are dedicated screeners for SSSS purposes at most airports.
My observation also. Although ofttimes the screenee must wait until the person on SSSS duty is available. But the general security line is NOT slowed down while the "transgressor" is receiving his/her punishment.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by n5667
I think you misunderstand - the civil rights movement was something that actually mattered. Comparing yourself having to show I.D to get on a plane to the civil rights movement does nothing but demean the civil rights movement.
And just how long do you think we should wait before protests should begin over the direction that more and more people see our country headed?

I believe many have learned from the civil rights movement to not wait until it is too late - nip it in the bud.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This whole comparison to "Rosa Parks" is ridiculous. Parks involved the question of equality -- some citizens had more rights and privileges under the law than others. If only persons with Islamic names were ordered to show ID at the Airport, I could see the comparison. But that's obviously NOT what's happening. Everyone is being treated equally at the ID check.

Instead of equal treatment under the law, we're talking about privacy. Everyone knows, or should know, that the Constitution does not provide an absolute right to privacy. It's "balanced against the state's compelling interests. Such compelling interests include the promotion of public morality, protection of the individual's psychological health, and improving the quality of life." http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Privacy

As flawed as our airline security system may be, I can't imagine any court finding that -- in these times -- the gov't doesn't have a compelling interest in identifying potential airline terrorists. An ID check, no matter how flawed, assists in that effort and is obviously Constitutional. To argue otherwise is to express a personal opinion (which is also protected by the Constitution), but it is an opinion that has no plausible chance of becoming law.

So if it makes you feel good giving the TSA guys a hard time by not showing ID, go for it. But arguing that you're "defending the Constitition" is an act of self delusion. If you don't want to show your ID at the airport, contact your Congressman and ask him to pass a law ending the practice. But I'm 100% sure your efforts will be 100% unsuccessful. That's what sometimes happens in a democracy.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by iahphx
As flawed as our airline security system may be, I can't imagine any court finding that -- in these times -- the gov't doesn't have a compelling interest in identifying potential airline terrorists. An ID check, no matter how flawed, assists in that effort and is obviously Constitutional. To argue otherwise is to express a personal opinion (which is also protected by the Constitution), but it is an opinion that has no plausible chance of becoming law.
It doesn't have to become law when it's already part of the U.S. Constitution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.