Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:36 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orchard Field
Posts: 1,391
Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off?

The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?
nigelloring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:47 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 726
I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.
PHLflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:52 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No idea usually, but "home" is the SF Bay
Programs: Precious Metals in some of the following AA/UA/NW/DL/F9/SWA RR
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.

The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.
__________________
Lets use our collective knowledge to map out all the airports of the world. Support the Airportpedia project!
party_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:53 pm   #4
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 10,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelloring View Post
While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?
Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:50 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI
Programs: US Dougie's Preferred, UA Gate Louse, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 13,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.
If you ask Spiff, Kippie is filth. He'd make the airport floor even worse.
__________________
2014 US Upgades as a CP: Total 25/25. Short Haul 15/15, Midcon 5/5, TCON 5/5 | AA: 4/4
Superguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:23 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orchard Field
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
Good idea.
nigelloring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:40 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the corner plotting world domination
Programs: 1K
Posts: 1,121
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD
__________________
Dawingdoo. Spiwit. A sense of bwavado.
Daringdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:43 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: OKC
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringdoo View Post
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD
They are provided in the security line at Little Rock.
mdsimants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 10:08 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA - US
Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringdoo View Post
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD
I buy them on e-bay. Kinda funny since I sell Medical equipment Usually get them in lots of 24-50, and carry at least 4 pairs in my backpack on every trip. I refuse to walk thru airports barefoot. I get a few strange looks, but then I hear quite a few "why didn't we think of that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
Sure enough, one of the TSA would tell you it's not allowed since it's over 1 qt.....

Safe travels
Tim
__________________
It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milk-bone underwear!
Confederate Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:09 am   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,449
The "temple socks" I used in SE Asia are now my "(in)security socks." Just can't do summer/sandal weather without them. If you see someone dancing around on one foot putting on socks as she approaches the belt, that would likely be me.
Telfes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:10 am   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post
I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.
I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen...
n5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:18 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MIA/ATL
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5667 View Post
I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen...
It's really only 50% recirculated.
bhd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:52 am   #13
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 10,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringdoo View Post
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.
I've brought those, too. Just be careful taking them off after they have touched that foul floor.
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:18 am   #14
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelloring View Post
The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?
Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.
doober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:38 am   #15
Moderator: Chicago & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 15,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by doober View Post
Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.
A big DITTO here.
iluv2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 pm.