Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 24, 07, 7:36 pm   #1

Hygiene: Can I request not to take my shoes off?

The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?
nigelloring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:47 pm   #2

I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.
PHLflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:52 pm   #3

Programs: Precious Metals in some of the following AA/UA/NW/DL/F9/SWA RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post

I tend to take them off at the very last second, I don't take them off well far back in the line like the sheeple.

Also, if the xray is far from the wtmd, I do sometimes mention this is disgusting to the TSO, in a nice way. The more they get the message, the more the slight possibility this unsanitary practice will end.

The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.
Old Jul 24, 07, 7:53 pm   #4
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelloring View Post
While we're on the subject, is there any way to avoid putting my expensive suit jacket into that disgusting, never-cleaned gray box which everyone's shoes have been in?
Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:50 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: US Dougie's Preferred, UA Gate Louse, HH Diamond, National Emerald Club, TSA Disparager Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
The TSO's are just sheep too. We should make KH take off his shoes and walk around in the filth he calls airport security.
If you ask Spiff, Kippie is filth. He'd make the airport floor even worse.
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:23 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
Good idea.
nigelloring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:40 pm   #7

Programs: 1K
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD
Old Jul 24, 07, 9:43 pm   #8

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daringdoo View Post
Will the screeners allow little blue paper booties for the feet - like the ones you sometimes see at 'Open-houses' or at hospitals? Maybe that would satisfy OPs footwear issue.

DD
They are provided in the security line at Little Rock.
mdsimants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 07, 10:08 pm   #9

Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
Quote:

DD
I buy them on e-bay. Kinda funny since I sell Medical equipment Usually get them in lots of 24-50, and carry at least 4 pairs in my backpack on every trip. I refuse to walk thru airports barefoot. I get a few strange looks, but then I hear quite a few "why didn't we think of that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Last time I brought paper towels to put on the bottom of the bin. Or you could bring a large plastic bag to protect it.
Sure enough, one of the TSA would tell you it's not allowed since it's over 1 qt.....

Safe travels
Tim
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:09 am   #10

The "temple socks" I used in SE Asia are now my "(in)security socks." Just can't do summer/sandal weather without them. If you see someone dancing around on one foot putting on socks as she approaches the belt, that would likely be me.
Telfes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:10 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post
I too find the shoe take off thing disgusting. I haven't raised much of a fuss about it, though I do mumble how gross it is while waiting for them to come out of the x ray.

I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen...
n5667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:18 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5667 View Post
I always remind the passenger that they're about to spend several hours in a tin can with several hundred other people breathing in recirculated oxygen...
It's really only 50% recirculated.
bhd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 12:52 am   #13
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
I've brought those, too. Just be careful taking them off after they have touched that foul floor.
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:18 am   #14
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelloring View Post
The thought of walking over that filthy floor in my socks is horrible. Plus, I have a plantar wart on the bottom of one of my feet, although it'd be covered by the socks.

Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.
doober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 07, 5:38 am   #15
Moderator: Chicago & Dining Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doober View Post
Providing that you are wearing a substantial pair of shoes and not loafers or flip-flops, just tell them you have orthopedic shoes and can't take them off. You'll have to get them swabbed but they can't force you to remove them NOR require you to explain the reason for wearing "orthopedic" shoes. Works for me.
A big DITTO here.
iluv2fly is offline   Reply With Quote