Search

My Congressman's been Kippified

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Thumbs down My Congressman's been Kippified

Wrote a letter to my Congressman awhile back about the stupidity of the liquid ban if they're giving the discarded toiletries to homeless. If they're doing that, then what's the point of the ban?

Got a response from my Congressman today. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Text follows:

"Dear [Superguy]:

Thank you for your email to me regarding TSA and a proposed California state program to give discarded toiletries to the homeless. I appreciated hearing from you.

I often hear about the regulations issued last year pertaining to the amount of liquids and gels one is allowed to take on planes. As you know, you must have no greater than 3 ounce bottles of liquid, gels, or aerosols, and these must fit into a quart-sized clear plastic storage bag. According to the TSA and Department of Homeland Security, these rules were implemented in response to significant terror threats surrounding specific liquid materials found in every day luggage, such as toiletries. While admittedly there were many problems when the guidelines were first issued, these appeard to have been resolved, the public educated, and most travelers understand the current process.

While I cannot speak to the specific California state program involving donating these toiletries to the homeless, I believe that the local jurisdictions should be able to do with these materials what they choose, so long as security threats are screened. Obviously when used properly these items are not harmful, but the security regulations are put in place to protect us fromt hose who have ill intentions. Should any federal legislation come to the House floor pertaining to the use of discarded toiletry items at the airport, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you for contacting me and please do not hesitate to do so in the future with additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Wayne T. Gilchrest
Member of Congress"

I move next month, and I'll have a new Congressman. Hopefully he'll be brighter and not a member of the Party. I'm disappointed in my Comrade Congressman.

Super
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:49 pm

That letter makes no sense...the items are either dangerous or they're not...there's no gray area with this one!!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:32 pm

Programs: Burrito Elito
i'm confused. i thought the supposed threat was terrorists disguising supposedly binary chemicals as shampoo, moisturizer, etc. This letter makes it seem like if you mix real toothpaste with real shampoo it goes boom.

idiot.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:15 pm

More should write

I love this thread. More of us should send questions to our congressional representatives and senators.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
that response is hilarious
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Superguy
I believe that the local jurisdictions should be able to do with these materials what they choose, so long as security threats are screened. Obviously when used properly these items are not harmful, but the security regulations are put in place to protect us fromt hose who have ill intentions.
Huh? That response makes zero sense.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:40 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Your representative is a clueless disgrace. I hope he is indicted for a crime before his term expires so that he cannot collect a pension.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:40 am

Respond back with a letter saying that you think it's wonderful that they now allow the mentally challenged to serve in Congress.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:37 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
That letter makes no sense...the items are either dangerous or they're not...there's no gray area with this one!!
Yeah, the idiot congresscritter's response made it out as if plain items are "safe when used correctly" but "dangerous when used by bad guys."
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Respond back with a letter saying that you think it's wonderful that they now allow the mentally challenged to serve in Congress.
I'd do it, and regardless of whatever list it may put me on.

Derail the Leviathan before it's too late, Citizens!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I think Gilchrest is one of those that's begging more homeland security money for the DC area. If so, it's in his best interest for there to be substantial and imminent threats.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I know how you feel... remember my post about my family? Those days, security rules. *rolls eyes*
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
At least you received a response from your congresscritter. I haven't received a response from mine yet.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:59 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Since I recently moved, I'd like to write a letter to my "non voting representative." Do you have a sample letter you'd like to share?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
Since I recently moved, I'd like to write a letter to my "non voting representative." Do you have a sample letter you'd like to share?
Not really ... I wrote it at work on the web page.

Pretty much I expressed my outrage that these "unsafe" items are being given to the homeless and checkpoints are turning into mandatory homeless donation centers. On the other hand, I also stated that if they're safe enough to give to the homeless (even after screening ), then they're safe enough to take on the plane.

Super

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.