Wiki Posts
Search

The Liquid and ONE Bag rule from a LHR Goon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: Meh!
^
Originally Posted by BAPremier
...having read this forum! Hilarious. I have chuckled all the way through it. So thank you to the following members for their postings:

1. LHRGoon - I think you should be running the DoT
2. Linenbasket - great opening comment
3. CaptainSchmidt - awesome retort

Off to my board meeting now to tell the rest of the team to check this posting!

^ ^ ^

P.S. LHRGoon has to be the 'poster of the year'. You have my vote young Sir.
Agreed on all counts. ^

Welcome to FT LHRGoon. I disliked the attacks on the OP - many of them personal. Can we just take it as read that anyone who doesn't like LHR will not travel through it - countless posts along the lines of "they won't get my dollar" or plain anti-British posts are pointless IMHO. Good to see the OP didn't take them to heart. Looking forward to seeing some apposite posts on the BA board from him soon.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
It's always the American fault!!

I love the way you slam the Americans for all your problems. We allow 2 pieces onboard. 1 carry on and a personal bag such as purse or briefcase. So dont blame us you have stupider rules then us. And don't blame us for this whole mess. It was Islamic terrorist that caused all this not the Americans.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by sh9168
It was Islamic terrorist that caused all this
In this case, I must have missed the trial and the verdict.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
One way around 1-bag rule that worked once recently in T3, but may not always: When confronted with my 1+1, I claimed the other one was my wife's bag. "My wife is returning a rental car and I said I would take the bags and meet her at the gate." a blank look followed for a while, followed by waving me through.^
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by derpelikan

i hope that the liquid ban and the 1 pcs regulation will be kicked soon by the EU as it is total stupidity.

dp

Don't be too surprised that the EU might follow suit !

Times are changing. Get used to the idea. I didn't like it either - but hey, that's the way it goes. Whether one needs to transfer through UK airports or not, one has to deal with the rules and regulations.

It's not that I don't sound like I don't know that most of you carry a laptop and a carry-on because you don't want to check in bags. I used to do too.. but I've learnt to compromise.

So I just don't understand the resistance.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sh9168
I love the way you slam the Americans for all your problems. We allow 2 pieces onboard. 1 carry on and a personal bag such as purse or briefcase. So dont blame us you have stupider rules then us. And don't blame us for this whole mess. It was Islamic terrorist that caused all this not the Americans.
If the US and select "allies" weren't playing dirty games all these years and if these "allied" countries didn't jump the gun like they did when they did, we wouldn't have had these stupid rules peddled by the politicians and "security"-freaks as soon as that August news got peddled by the very same aformentioned crowd.

Fortunately, stupid/foolish people are not immortal, and so things that they push also come to pass .... sooner or later.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:08 am

LHR? No thanks :)

With the new Gordon eco-tax, "lenient" carry-on rules and luxury taxes piled high (not to mention the pound is making the dollar look like monopoly money), whoever would want to connect in LHR?

I have been making it a point to avoid LHR connections on award redemptions recently- even if it means more convoluted routings. Give me CDG, PRG, BUD, FRA, YYZ or even SVO and please don't make me go through the UK Saves a good bit of money, you know.

And as far as visiting the UK goes, I do like flying into LGW... or one of the many other cities US carriers now serve non-stop from across the pond
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver (exPPS:(, Tesco sad, FR £0.01
I often travel with combination backpack (smaller section is attached to bigger one with long zipper and belts but they can be split).

3 months ago I was going through LHR T1 (Zone R) security. I passed through the first security guy, he was ok after I fitted the backpack into the frame.
After screening procedure another goon started to claim that my combined backpack is in fact 2 pieces (but it is clearly 1 piece and it holds and looks so). Thus he won't let me go unless I fit smaller part INTO bigger one...
After some argument, I decided to stop that comedy and I managed to do as requested (I still think that he bended the rule). Then I asked "Are you happy now?". The answer was "yes, I am and you can P1SS UP now!!!". The words were as you read it now.
I did not have time to start a formal complain with supervisor or police (I was running late for my flight) so I just dropped him couple of words and left.

I wrote to BAA later on, with no response. I still see that piece of sh.t sometimes in T1 Zone R. Basically just look from above on it down there, that it.

Now I wonder if the person who started this misarable thread was that monkey whom I met 3 months ago....
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What's the BIG DEAL with the one bag rule? ...
Last Dec. LHR had something like 10,000 (or more) bags piled up after a sorting belt disaster exacerbated by fog problems. I had checked my bag due to my transit via LHR and the 1-bag rule. I didn't see my bag for 3.5 weeks causing me considerable inconvenience and expense for which I have not been (and apparently will not be) full reimbursed. Do I want to risk that again if I can possibly avoid it? No thanks. I recently cancelled 2 trips to the UK that I didn't have to make because I choose not to participate in the stupidity.

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
... I call bulls... on this rule and think it may just be a rule made up to keep us all frightened by remembering us of Richard Reid.

SmilingBoy.
Isn't most airport security these days more about scaring people than actual security?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:27 pm

Mr Goon, I just LOVED your post. You are brilliant, and I'll be giving you a wink whilst next enduring LHR security - warn your colleagues! If your business venture fails (with your chutzpah and humour I'm sure it won't) you should think about writing...

I certainly hope that the subsequent pissy posters are really embarrassed. There can't be many people who think less of BAA than me. It seems that every time I pass through LHR they have found some new way to annoy me - ok, so some may argue that the security measures are justified (not I), but why do I have to pick my way through an overpriced shopping mall in order to get to my flight? And then there's... I digress - knew that just typing the B acronym would get me going!

But how senseless to take this out on some poor lad who has the misfortune to work for them and have to enforce their ridiculous rules? Especially when he has clearly stated he agrees that the rules are ridiculous!! Picket the BAA, phone the PM, write a letter to the Queen (the real one, guys), but why be really rude, nasty and personal to a venting employee who has a crap job to do - and also has to deal with unending crap from the public?! Be thankful you don't have to get past me with your 102.5ml bottle of REALLY important lotion, or that one tiny extra bag that will bring about world peace if let through!

Get a sense of humour, follow the rules, be nice to the staff and let's all just get through the BAA hell ASAP so that we can do what we're there for!!

There - I don't say much, but everyone has to vent now and then...
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I don't get this. Why is everyone making such a fuss about only *one* bag ?

Now my conversation doesnt apply to people who carry on only they do have a problem but for people with checked luggage why should 1 bag be a problem??

I have a Targus Laptop backpack and can quite happily fit a laptop, books, CD's, a camera and razor eg all my expensive stuff in to it fine. The clothes (which are replaceable and don't cost that much) go in my checked luggage.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I get along with just one bag fine as long as I have a checked bag in the hold... Admittedly I might have to carry a couple less books to be doubly sure it fits in the gauge but all the expensive stuff will fit no problem.

Well I'm looking forward to my first forray with LGW South on June 1st. Any LGW_Goons lurking here ?

-mrploddy
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by mrploddy
I don't get this. Why is everyone making such a fuss about only *one* bag ?

Now my conversation doesnt apply to people who carry on only they do have a problem but for people with checked luggage why should 1 bag be a problem??
I think many people here tend to travel with handluggage only (like me). And those are the people who are complaining (like me). I have done a three-week business trip on handluggage only, and if the airline is ok with the amount of handluggage I bring on board, so should security control.

SmilingBoy.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Thanks to all for such an amusing diversion...

What a fun thread !

In the USA, there are things that passengers can do to REALLY irritate the TSA. I'm a bit of an airhead myself and sometimes earn extra scrutiny at security checks. Being a slow learner, I've had to struggle to learn ways to stay under the radar screen.

As a CITIZEN of this great country, I:
  • have rights
  • would rather be right than happy
  • am just as important as you are

I like the notion that TSA and other security folks are part of the service industry. When I'm in a restaurant, I make it a point to simultaneously irritate the waitstaff and the cook while sending my food back to the kitchen. Then I act really surprised when my food comes back with boot marks on it.

You can only get good service by DEMANDING good service.

Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I think i'm the effigy of every security guard you've ever met.

Roughly 15,000 passengers on average travel through the terminal I work at a day. I only work half a day, but am usually at one of the most busy areas. During my 6 month stint I have grown the unfortunate habit of slowly being more prejudiced towards some passengers....

Americans.

On the day of the OP I encountered the worst American passenger and was seething because of it. I was in one of 3 places I could be posted. The day was slow and I was by myself. Bored out of my brains I decided, why not converse with fellow passengers. An American couple walked by, we talked about the weather, about the silly rules and about politics. I asked who they were going to vote for in the Primary's, Hilary or Obama, forgetting that some people vote Republican. They said that actually they were Republicans, but with the current situation a change was probably in order. Chuffed at my first foray into conversing with passengers for a long time I decided to continue.

Next passenger comes along. She's American. I decide to continue with the politics line, changing my questions to not be so biased. "Excuse me madam, I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you a Republican or Democrat?". She looks shell shocked. I look mystified. "What concern is it of yours?", storms to ticket inspection and promptly demands to talk to my supervisor. This really irked me. You try and make their trip through security more humane and friendly, only to be accused of - i'm not too sure.

A question to FTers. Is there something offensive about asking of ones political allegiance?

Also, why don't the majority of American passengers understand "Sorry sir, your bag looks quite large. Could you use the side handle [points] and put the bag in horizontally so that it goes in the gauge sideways. It can't be taller than the gauge [points at the top of the gauge].

5 reasons America is annoying. - in no order and off my head.

They believe in Evolution.
They don't treat their incarcerated with respect.
They assassinated Iran's first democratically elected president.
They're threatening Iran and want to impose a democratically elected president.
They elected George Bush.
They elected George Bush.

El Al.

El Al has a separate entrance through security. They think it's because they're important, we know it's because we're scared. 30 min before their special entrance opens 3 armed police cars pull up outside the terminal, 2 police men patrol the balcony facing the entrance, one is deployed at ticket inspection and a few are scattered out front, they look down their gun sights periodically at nothing.

Anyway, there's the background. I'm nervous. They're also the most uncooperative people on earth. They rank just behind C/J passengers. Everything is religious; Everything is not fit for the hold. We ask, how large is it? They mumble. They take it out their bag and it's the size of a small book. But they need that massive bag to put it in.

When no liquids were allowed, I had a couple who read the rules and decided that to take through their soup they were supposed to freeze it.

Disclaimer.

This thread may yet again be hi jacked by militant posters - this time claiming antisemitism. Yes, i've read Lombardo or Milgram and do know that Jews have a problem with authority. It's a good thing, blah blah; the slow erosion of our human rights. It just makes my job a lot harder.

Stroppy smart young female business passengers.

"Sorry Madam, are you aware that you have.." They snap, saying "I know, i'll do it". They get asked roughly 8 times before they reach the end of the queue. Reason being, 8 of us work the queue independently, we are obliged to ask when we see two bags. "Why do you keep bloody asking me?" - "Because you got two bags [you stupid ......]"

The French.

After telling her what she has to do. She's carrying a tiny expensive handbag with very elegant leather laptop bag. "Have you read Satre?". Stern Look. "Madam. I'm British, I read Russell."(Not really knowing why Russell aptly counters Satre nor caring.)

They're also oh so cute when they get angry. They get angry a lot. A pretty lady passenger got so annoyed at a women fumbling around and holding her up she started an argument in the line with that cute accent. You had to be there I guess...

Northerners.

They've traveled the world over and are now cultured. After a hedonistic sexxed up holiday in Thailand they head back. 12hr flight of free alcohol - they land at LHR and reality kicks in. Through FCC. .... Kicked out. 2 bottles of whiskey and 2 bags. They proceed to check in.

Once they get to me, they're a sight to behold.

Muslims.

The best passengers to deal with. Ever. Ask them to do something you're sure would annoy anyone and they'll do it. This might, as some would say, because they're embarrassed and think we blame them about these silly security rules, but I really believe they're just not bothered by them.

Russians.

A free Russian lesson every time. JJJUUUUTKIISTE. VOOoDA?

Always have mountain loads of duty free. When asked to check in they simply state "but I am flying to Moscow?" They hand gesture a bag being checked in and it either disappearing or exploding. They sometimes say "money?" like it's a common occurance at an airport to bribe.

Clarifications.

In Europe, the passenger bag matching rule has been around for a long time following a Pan Am aircraft exploding over a small Scottish town called Lockerbie.

LHR was the first to scan every single bag on a plane. Either checked in or carried on.

Are there "public accessible" sizers in the terminal (preferably near the check-in counters) for us to check if our bags will fit within them and get them checked there before having to make you and us waste more time rejecting it and sending us back?
They're everywhere.

WRONG!

From Wikipedia:
Whoops.

Last Dec. LHR had something like 10,000 (or more) bags piled up after a sorting belt disaster exacerbated by fog problems. I had checked my bag due to my transit via LHR and the 1-bag rule. I didn't see my bag for 3.5 weeks causing me considerable inconvenience and expense for which I have not been (and apparently will not be) full reimbursed. Do I want to risk that again if I can possibly avoid it? No thanks. I recently cancelled 2 trips to the UK that I didn't have to make because I choose not to participate in the stupidity.
The baggage handlers, for some reason, were really happy at all the extra work. Most applied for overtime.

They move around each terminal and snoop at the passengers to make sure they only have one bag when they go through the security machines. If there are "non compliant" passengers then the airport gets fined.
If the number of bags are monitored airside Mr. Goon -

(i) Why do I see so many passengers with 2 or 3 bags?
(ii) Why did I see a family go through LGW last week - past the ICTS and security staff with three big bags, a handbag, diaper bag and stroller?
My posts are quite long and I don't really read through them again. The DofT only care when the one bags goes through the security machines. Once past you are allowed to take them out. ICTS is the company that used to do the FCC. They were fired for being incompetent.

Moeve.

hehe

I'm pretty sure the insults have slowed down a little. Hope this isn't rocking the boat a little...

Bonus brownie point:
What Terminal do I work at?

Last edited by LHRGoon; Apr 27, 2007 at 6:48 pm Reason: This ajax edit thing is really nice.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:18 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Very funny post. I can see that I have rivals for taking the p155 out of BAA and being British.

Originally Posted by LHRGoon
Sorry. Musical instruments are allowed as an additional.
If you have a DSLR, it needs to be in the bag. We allow you to hold your laptop when you go through because you have to have it out to scan anyway.
There is absolutely no logic to letting musical instruments through. That is a political exemption. BAA claim that they do not fit in the Xray machines any more. They used to, just like my suit carrier.

The carriage of a camera is allowed under IATA rules. BAA often want to scan them separately. I carry it outside, or more likely, hide it in a large coat pocket. North Face jackets are good for that.

Laptops are not allowed to be carried at some BAA airports.

I now have to charter a private aircraft, or fly one myself, when carrying flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders after an accident. This is because they are slightly too large for the bag size. Having hit a mountain, I am not putting them through the LHR baggage handling system for them to be lost or destroyed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.