Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA Lawyer responds: You must show ID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
Thank you genome4hire - I agree that we're living in a time where we are sliding down quite a slippery slope here... and I don't like what's at the bottom...

Right exists until you exercise your right - that's a fine way of putting it.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:14 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by genome4hire
I want to fly, on a regular basis, within the US, without showing a single piece of ID. Once I've done this enough times, I want to be able to show someone my collection of used "NO-ID" boarding passes, and ask: "If I can fly without ID, what is the purpose of the no-fly list?"
I refuse to show identification to the TSA and/or ID checker for (nearly) every flight I take, especially if it's the first time I'm going through security at that airport. I do show it, if requested, to an airline agent, but would refuse to reliquish it to said agent, the TSA, or ID checker. If I really wanted to, I could fly as John Smith considering I can print my boarding pass at home or at a kiosk if I'm not checking luggage and never have an interaction with an airline agent. As for a LEO, it would depend on my knowledge of that state's laws regarding compulsory identification, and/or my feelings about the situation I found myself in (whether I want to fight the good fight or be a sheeple so I don't get arrested/miss my flight).

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
I don't consider refusing to show ID some great American Liberty.
I show ID when I use a credit card
I refuse - violation of Visa/MC policy as long as my card is signed
getting into clubs, bars
They are following the law by ensuring I am of legal age to consume intoxicants.
picking up tickets at will-call
Revenue protection, this is not a government entity, but even so, I'll often just show the card I used to buy the tickets.
(My responses bolded)
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lhong
It's people like genome4hire that allow you to not care. Throughout history, they have kept the system honest by setting precedents and preserving the full range of everyone's rights. Even if you choose not to exercise your rights, you should be grateful for having them. You should be thanking genome4hire rather than attacking him.
Right on the money!!!^ Excellent
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
This was a great thread to read.

Genome4, was there ever any follow up to avoiding using your ID? I thank you for fighting for our rights. I had no idea I didn't need to show my ID. If we all refused to show our ID, as real patriots protesting unreasonable searches (they would be reasonable if they actually made things safer, right?), we might change this 'theatre security' we're subjected to.

In light of the "Body Scan," I've been getting the full pat-down. It's almost like getting a free massage (ok, not really).
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
In light of the "Body Scan," I've been getting the full pat-down. It's almost like getting a free massage (ok, not really).
Just let them know how much you are enjoying it. That should hasten it.

Mike
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
This was a great thread to read.

Genome4, was there ever any follow up to avoiding using your ID? I thank you for fighting for our rights. I had no idea I didn't need to show my ID. If we all refused to show our ID, as real patriots protesting unreasonable searches (they would be reasonable if they actually made things safer, right?), we might change this 'theatre security' we're subjected to.

Any reason for resurrecting a 5 year old thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.