Travel with Tools - TSA Concerns?

Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Travel with Tools - TSA Concerns?

I'll be flying UA to London for about a week to help a friend moving into a new flat, want to bring along some hand tools for simple repairs, assemble furniture etc. I can use a tool bag or box, or build a separate box if that's better. Does anyone travel with tools regularly? What are the cautions, TSA & baggage problems, problems of theft etc

BTW, I maybe making a couple of stopovers on the way and the way back.

Thanks for the advice in advance
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:56 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this is not specific to United, please follow it in the Travel Safety and Security forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Aug 31, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Mods may want to move this to another forum as the topic isn't necessarily UA-specific, but in the meantime...

See this link from the TSA website:
http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/air...d-items.shtm#7

I've traveled with a socket set before, and in order to avoid checking a bag, brought a small socket wrench that is under seven inches.

Also, if you're going to the UK, their rules for your return may be different.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:07 am

You'll find the London end of security a lot more of a pain in the neck than the TSA... But if they're checked it should be a non-issue. Since tools aren't a danger to the Aircraft and aren't illegal to bring into the country.

My largest concern would be customs... If you're coming in on a tourist visa but bring work tools with you they might suspect you are attempting to enter to work or to stay.

Make sure you have a local contact number for your "friend" and that they can backup everything that you will say. If you work in an industry associated with the tools then it might be even more of a hassle.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by colevalleytim
I'll be flying UA to London for about a week to help a friend moving into a new flat, want to bring along some hand tools for simple repairs, assemble furniture etc. I can use a tool bag or box, or build a separate box if that's better. Does anyone travel with tools regularly? What are the cautions, TSA & baggage problems, problems of theft etc

BTW, I maybe making a couple of stopovers on the way and the way back.

Thanks for the advice in advance
Avoid the hassle check and see if your friend owns them already and if they don't buy them when you land and leave them as a housewarming gift.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by magellan315
Avoid the hassle check and see if your friend owns them already and if they don't buy them when you land and leave them as a housewarming gift.
^^ Much easier all around.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Actually, buying a bunch of tools is probably more hassle and expense than you'd imagine. I'd probably have $500 of professional hand tools (no power), and just rounding up that many at the UK equivalent of Home Cheapo would take 2-3 hours. Although I appreciate the idea.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:41 pm

Actually, buying a bunch of tools is probably more hassle and expense than you'd imagine. I'd probably have $500 of professional hand tools (no power), and just rounding up that many at the UK equivalent of Home Cheapo would take 2-3 hours. Although I appreciate the idea.
You've said you want to do some minor repairs, $500 in professional hand tools is more than anyone needs for minor repairs. Unless your friend is doing major renovations leave your tools at home. I've moved in an out of countless apartments and if I can't fix it with a hammer, an assortment of screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, and some wrenches. Then its time to hire a professional. The basic tool list above might cost you $75 if you don't buy high end tools and leave them as a gift, because they will get limited use after you are gone.

I used to travel with hand tools as well for work, they are heavy so you will pay extra fees for the weight, you'll spend a lot of time explaining why you have all those tools, and it makes your luggage target and they could get stolen.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

See I was afraid of this...

I appreciate the advice on buying tools but you are not a professional, I am. with over 20 years of experience. And I won't use lousy tools, they are dangerous, inefficient and produce bad results even in skilled hands. If I were a chef worried about checking my "set-up", would you say get some knives at the local hardware store...

My original question was about security of the tools, TSA hassles at the airport etc.

So if someone has travelled with tools, post 9/11, please help me out.

Thanks again
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
I appreciate the advice on buying tools but you are not a professional, I am. with over 20 years of experience. And I won't use lousy tools, they are dangerous, inefficient and produce bad results even in skilled hands. If I were a chef worried about checking my "set-up", would you say get some knives at the local hardware store...

My original question was about security of the tools, TSA hassles at the airport etc.

So if someone has travelled with tools, post 9/11, please help me out.

Thanks again
When I travel 'heavy' I've got around 70 lbs of tools. They are in a good Pelican case and are locked (if TSA cooperates). There's also a smaller tool kit (metric socket set, screwdriver set, and some other misc small tools) packed into a small tool bag and packed with clothing. If all you're doing is taking apart furniture and appliances you might also need a metric allen set. Go with bits that would fit into a bit holder (get a good one) and you should be ready to go. A large pair of slip joint pliers/water pump pliers could be taken along, just in case.

The only issue I've had was with Canadian customs wondering why an American was working on Canadian equipment. If you're asked by customs don't lie to them, and have the name, address, and phone number of the people you'll be visiting.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Check the tools. They should be covered under your homeowner's policy (check with your agent as YMMV). Make a written inventory of the tools in case you arrive in the UK or the USA short some tools. At least you know when and what was taken.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Locked?

When you say locked do you mean a master lock or a zip tie?

That's what I was planning on, a cordura tool bag with a zip tie through the zipper rings.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:24 pm

When you say locked do you mean a master lock or a zip tie?

That's what I was planning on, a cordura tool bag with a zip tie through the zipper rings.
Locked is with a couple good padlocks, non TSA approved.

Cable ties (non black non white)are a good choice since anything with a zipper is pretty much open to being forced by using a Bic inkpen. Cordura does make some pretty good bags though.

The non standard colors make it easier for you to detect tampering. Good luck on your travels.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, we've had to remove the last several posts as being too personal and inflammatory.

Please remember that this thread is about travelling with tools and the TSA and not about your impression of your fellow FT'ers.

Your cooperation in keeping this thread on topic will be appreciated.

Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:06 am

Checking your tools will avoid TSA issues. UK customs though? Don't have a clue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.