Using a Costco card as valid ID

Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Using a Costco card as valid ID

http://www.lookingglassnews.org/prin...p?storyid=7040

As a die-hard Constitutionalist, I believe that we still have an absolute, unfettered, God-given right to travel from point A to point B without permission from the state -- in the air, as well as on land. This Nazi procedure of "your papers, please" has never been appropriate for our country. I have had occasion to travel a good deal in the last several months, and on those trips I decided to research and test this issue about the necessity for producing identification. I have talked with agents, and their supervisors, of several major airlines in cities across America, and have gradually pieced together a rather complete picture of the real legal situation regarding our right to travel.

Next, I tested this finding with several airlines. When asked for identification, I produced only my Sam's Club card, or my travel agent's ID card, or a Costco card. These are all picture ID's, but they are privately issued, and do not even have a signature on them. The airline agents just freaked out, and demanded to see some state-issued ID. They routinely told me that "it was federal law!" The government absolutely required me to cough up an "official" ID card, without which the agent couldn't even THINK of letting me on the plane.

I told the agents that I could not find any federal regulation mandating that type of identification, and then asked them to cure my ignorance and please cite the regulation. Now, at this point, individual airline agents have reacted differently. Some called in their supervisor. Alaska Air employees were the most gracious; Northwest agents were the worst -- they were rude, belligerent and hostile brats. But they all folded, every time. A particularly nasty Northwest employee marched me all the way back to the electronic detection equipment, made me pass through it a second time, and had the guard thoroughly search my carry-on bag. The same airline agent-from-hell actually made rude and demeaning remarks to me as we trudged back to the counter -- and then she let me on the plane.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
What's funny about this is the following story:

When I got my DL in Texas a few years ago, the drivers license bureau (run by the Department of Public Safety) confiscated my old Ohio picture license and issued me a "reciept" to serve as a "temporary" license until they got around to mailing the official picture TX license to me. You can't get one on-the-spot.

I looked at the clerk and asked how long it would take. Up to a month, came the reply. I looked at her and asked if there was an expedited process as I travel all the time and the airlines & security folks demand picture ID (not letting on that I had a passport). In all seriousness (and confirmed by a badge-wearing supervisor) she replied: "You can use your Sam's Club card, all the airports will accept that, I can assure you".

Idiocy is not limited to the Federal level.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Cool, glad to hear that he can bring some extra misery to low-paid counter employees in airports all over the world.

That makes travel so much nicer for the rest of us, really it does.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Cool, glad to hear that he can bring some extra misery to low-paid counter employees in airports all over the world.

A lot of countries don't required government-issued photo ID to travel domestically. Long may it stay that way and may we find our national way back to common sense that recognized passenger ID is not security.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
In all seriousness (and confirmed by a badge-wearing supervisor) she replied: "You can use your Sam's Club card, all the airports will accept that, I can assure you".
It is my understanding that it has to be a government issued ID. I believe we have to wait until around 2013, when the net worth of Walmart is greater than the US, China, and 27 other countries combined. Then Walmart will declare itself a nation, take over the UN, and your Sams Club card will become a government issued ID card.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TierFlyer

Who says you have a right to travel hastle free?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:46 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm using my Library of Congress Readers Card

It has my photo, my name, and it's issued by the federal government. It's never failed me.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
It is my understanding that it has to be a government issued ID. I believe we have to wait until around 2013, when the net worth of Walmart is greater than the US, China, and 27 other countries combined. Then Walmart will declare itself a nation, take over the UN, and your Sams Club card will become a government issued ID card.
Heck -- the Sam's Club card will become a passport!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL GM/CRC, AA Gold, UA Premier
I like to use my FL issued firearms concealed carry permit card, especially at places like SFO
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
And that is a d*mn good point.

Luckily I can still travel after waiting in the bar. Favorite line heard from a grizzled veteran NY/BOS commuter: I'm not flying the plane today, gimmie another.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
... may we find our national way back to common sense that recognized passenger ID is not security.
That would be well back before people were hijacking planes to Cuba, right?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Definitely not TSA.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:10 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by mirage1228
I like to use my FL issued firearms concealed carry permit card, especially at places like SFO
Oh geez... I really need to hurry up and take the courses... that would be a fun card to add to the collection of various Drivers Licenses and random Government nonsense.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by mkt
I'm using my Library of Congress Readers Card

It has my photo, my name, and it's issued by the federal government. It's never failed me.
And it has the ever-important expiration date. I have one also, but since I'm licensed to drive, I use my driver's license.

It's part of my personal plastic-card carrying reduction act. The California Highway Patrol and local police won't accept the Library of Congress card, but the TSA will accept the driver's license. Ergo, license trumps Reader's card.

However, I will be renewing the LOC card Friday after the Freddies just in case the Greens take over the world and the TSA hires folk who can read. You gotta keep your options open.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:26 pm
mkt

I collect them

I'm most interested in getting a Mexican Matricular Consular.. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.