FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Nutrisystem meals and the TSA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/665215-nutrisystem-meals-tsa.html)

oldpenny16 Feb 27, 2007 7:33 am

Nutrisystem meals and the TSA?

I'm considering signing up for a month of Nutrisystem meals and will need to take some along while traveling. Has anyone had any experience having some in carry on bags?

I'm trying to beat the weight gain I make while traveling and sitting in meetings.

Thanks.

bocastephen Feb 27, 2007 7:40 am

I've seen plenty of screeners who would benefit from Nutrisystem...but I digress....

I think it would depend on the contents of the package. Solid foods shouldn't be a problem, but soups, sauces and puddings might be an issue - IF they see the packages.

Putting them down into the bag, perhaps on their side would lessen the chance the package contents would even appear on the x-ray. I think the screeners would react to bottle/container shapes on the screen, not box shapes as much.

tazi Feb 27, 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 7305181)
I'm considering signing up for a month of Nutrisystem meals and will need to take some along while traveling. Has anyone had any experience having some in carry on bags?

I'm trying to beat the weight gain I make while traveling and sitting in meetings.

Thanks.

Think twice about signing up. The food is awful! TV commercials are very misleading.

rebadc Feb 27, 2007 8:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 7305225)
Putting them down into the bag, perhaps on their side would lessen the chance the package contents would even appear on the x-ray. I think the screeners would react to bottle/container shapes on the screen, not box shapes as much.

Screeners can see pre-packaged food.

We are not advocating that FTers try to sneak items past TSA are we?

bocastephen Feb 27, 2007 9:07 am

Originally Posted by rebadc (Post 7305472)
Screeners can see pre-packaged food.

1) food is allowed through the checkpoint as long as it's not a liquid or gel. I'm sure screeners can clearly see pre-packaged food, which makes me feel so much safer given they apparently can't see 80%+ of the actual guns and bombs that auditors casually bring through the checkpoint during performance tests.

2) yes, we have plenty of threads teaching fellow FTers how to sneak items past the checkpoint that are not germane to security. I will be happy to share any of my techniques for deceiving screeners upon request :)

In this case, I think the OP is perfectly fine sticking the packages of non-liquid/gel items into her bag without any further issue.

To the OP: don't order from Nutrisystem directly, instead go to qvc.com and order from them. Much cheaper option and you can order sampler packages at minimal cost to make sure you actually like the food before you commit to anything long term.

dd992emo Feb 27, 2007 12:14 pm

Isn't there some rule about toxic substances on a plane?

drjazz Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm

YES!!

Originally Posted by rebadc (Post 7305472)