Search

What's in YOUR wallet ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:14 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
What's in YOUR wallet ...

Would anybody actually carry this wallet card to remind themselves it's 3 ounces, 1 quart, 1 bag?

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311-credit-card.pdf
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:21 am

the people who travel enough have known for months now. People who don't know won't care to get a card like that. Maybe travel agents can pass them out, but how many americans go to travel agents anymore?

Maybe it should come standard issue with AAA/AARPcards.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Wonder how many millions were spent to develop that...
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver, IC Ambassador, Spg Gold
Just like the TSA to spend money on something else useless.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phachak
Just like the TSA to spend money on something else useless.
Actually, it's just like government to spend money like that. FWIW, even those of us in the trenches roll our eyes over expenditures like this and wonder if that money could have been spent on more screening equipment, rubber gloves, computers for our on-line training, or even chairs and tables for the employee break room.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bart
Actually, it's just like government to spend money like that. FWIW, even those of us in the trenches roll our eyes over expenditures like this and wonder if that money could have been spent on more screening equipment, rubber gloves, computers for our on-line training, or even chairs and tables for the employee break room.

......or booties for all the "shoeless Joe" passengers......

......or chairs at the checkpoints.......

......or Victoria's Secrets models to screen the male passengers
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:03 pm

So long as there is a war, there will be war profiteers.

Which firm got the contract to develop the card?

Follow the money.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by lili
Would anybody actually carry this wallet card to remind themselves it's 3 ounces, 1 quart, 1 bag?

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311-credit-card.pdf
Actually it should be 3.38140226 US fluid ounces, 1 quart, 1 bag...

Is math that hard for the TSA?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, IC Ambassador, Spg Gold
Actually, it's just like government to spend money like that.
My point being in this case the money was given by the government to TSA to spend, which they spent on this. Someone in TSA developed this, not congress.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phachak
My point being in this case the money was given by the government to TSA to spend, which they spent on this. Someone in TSA developed this, not congress.
My point is that this is the nature of government regardless of agency. I've seen it plenty of times in DoD and other alphabet agencies. The thing that got me was that if a troop mishandled funds or otherwise abused any of the taxpayer resources, we were obligated to drop the hammer on that poor slob. As I progressed in my military career and was exposed to some of the goings-on inside the Beltway, particularly at the Pentagon as well as some of the multitude of agencies, including the Puzzle Palace, I had to shake my head in disgust at how senior officials got away with things we'd hang young sergeants or lieutenants for.

If this disrupts your anti-TSA banter, so be it. But this is characteristic of ALL government agencies.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:47 pm

this is characteristic of ALL government agencies.
... and was common practice long before Ike gave his speech on the topic.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:27 pm

Don't forget---

The TSA's own "secret shoppers" have proven they are poorly prepared to stop any real threats to airline safety.

All of these helpful trappings of security, just like bag checks when entering an office building, are part of the post-911 buildup of the terror threat.
We must keep the people in Casper Wyoming fearing the terrorists, and yet make them feel safe so they keep flying to Vegas vactions and spring breaks with Aunt Sally in Lauderdale.

Whilst on the subject of money...Homeland security dollars come cheap--so lets spend away. Ever notice the airport police vehicles in places like the Tri Cities Indiana? Shiny new Crown Vics and (gulp) Hummers? They have golf-carts for parking shuttles, but a Homeland Security Expedition parked out front. The NYPD would die to have some new vehicles, let alone a $70,000 SUV.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum LT Marriott Titanium Platinum LT, Hertz Presidents Circle, National EC,
Well think about it. It does prove that someone in TSA management has some IQ points. Everyone has been complaining that "they don't understand" the current policy and it "makes no sense". Well TSA can now tell DHS and Congress that "they've taken steps to address this issue". That way everyone can get back to campaign fundraising and lobbyist excursions thinking another problem has been solved. Never mind that they ignored the real problem ( that the policy is not understandable and makes no sense!) This is how any vaguely functional bureaocracy works.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly-yul
Actually it should be 3.38140226 US fluid ounces, 1 quart, 1 bag...

Is math that hard for the TSA?
When we received the signs for 3:1:1, I asked my screening manager if she wanted me to pen in ".4" after the "3."

She didn't see the humor in my suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.