Wiki Posts
Search

Double ID checks at TPA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Double ID checks at TPA

I've flown out of TPA a few times over the past couple of months. I am not sure if policy changed or if I just never noticed this on my past few departures.

Prior to boarding the tram which takes you out to the airside concourse where the security checkpoint is, there is a station setup where your boarding pass and ID is checked by "security" (check #1).

Once you get off the tram airside you then get into the TSA screening line where you're immediately asked for a BP and ID (again) by folks from the same "security" firm (from check #1) prior to the TSA checkpoint.

Of course you then have to produce your BP another couple of times to the TSA within 10 feet of each other before and after the WTMD. On a positive note, it is one of the better checkpoints here in the states (TPA-F).

Aren't these "rent-a-cop/security" checks a bit redundant and a waste of resources? It's not like there is another way to get airside other than the tram at TPA .. what the heck is the purpose of two ID checks? Do people somehow morph into new identities on the tram ride airside?

FWIW, the tram exit is also guarded landside -- as well as the TSA exit airside -- At least there should never be an excuse for a terminal dump at TPA.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Only twice?

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I've flown out of TPA a few times over the past couple of months. I am not sure if policy changed or if I just never noticed this on my past few departures.
You're complaining about showing ID two times? Try flying out of SIN to the US. I think I showed ID 6 times in total, including the grilling at the beginning!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You're complaining about showing ID two times? Try flying out of SIN to the US. I think I showed ID 6 times in total, including the grilling at the beginning!
Been there, done that too internationally including security "interviews" starting with a grilling (interview) prior to check-in, normal airport security, exit passport control, plus two to three extra security checks and additional "interviews" in addition to ID checks (all varies depending on route & carrier).

I presume you were flying back to the US or to a "high risk" destination, as I've been on many international flights, including from points in SE Asia to other countries where the only ID (Passport) checks are related to passport-control and/or to ensure you're admissable to your destinational and that you have your passport on you at boarding. Such checks are understandable and are part of international travel. For travel to the US, yes, I do believe in some circumstances they go well above and beyond what is needed, partially thanks to mandates of the US Govt/DHS in the name of "security"...

However, what I wrote is in regards to a US domestic flight.

I don't believe passengers should be required to show ID to fly within the domestic United States. Furthermore, it's a waste of $$'s and resources. ID does not = security. If the airline wants to see it at check-in for revenue control reasons, that's fine -- but from a security standpoint on a domestic flight, it serves no purpose.

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Mar 4, 2007 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I don't believe passengers should be required to show ID to fly within the domestic United States. Furthermore, it's a waste of $$'s and resources.
Then who would enforce the airlines nontransferable tickets?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Helllllllllllllllllllllo professional MRers.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gj83
Then who would enforce the airlines nontransferable tickets?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess.. the airlines?

(If they care to? Revenue protection is not the government's job, nor should it ever be.)
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I have gotten flying out from TPA. When I went secure area enter the tram when I show out my ID & BP before get onto the tram to Airside. Because when I arriving into the airside E must show required with ID & BP again. You should show the ID & Boarding pass enter security checkpoint. If you are not SSSS on the ticket. You will not get a secondary screening. I can see 2 Explsoives Trace Portal in airside E checkpoint with DL, UA, AC, SY. It would be enough wait times to get pass through checkpoint.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess.. the airlines?

(If they care to? Revenue protection is not the government's job, nor should it ever be.)
I was trying to be sarcastic. I'll turn on my sarcastic next time. Preaching to the choir here.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:39 pm
zac

I had three checks at SMF a couple of weeks ago. One at the start of the line, 30 seconds later at the end of the line before the metal detector (there were few PAX at the airport at this time), then a third upon walking through the detector.

The second person actually told me to keep my ID and BP out for the third. There were three-four other PAX in line with me and the three ID checkers were within 30 ft or each other. That's efficiency!

I have always got at least the double ID check at TPA.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:16 pm

I think that just might be TPA's policy. Based on my understanding, airports can create whatever ID check procedures they want.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zac
I had three checks at SMF a couple of weeks ago. One at the start of the line, 30 seconds later at the end of the line before the metal detector (there were few PAX at the airport at this time), then a third upon walking through the detector.

The second person actually told me to keep my ID and BP out for the third. There were three-four other PAX in line with me and the three ID checkers were within 30 ft or each other. That's efficiency!

I have always got at least the double ID check at TPA.
I probably have experienced the 2x ID check in the past, but it caught me off-guard this last time as I was carrying a lot of gear, had already put my ID away on the tram, and found it annoying at best to drop everything to pull out my ID yet again. I typically fly out of TPA (F) on AA on one of the ORD flights, as I was earlier this week.

Would be nice if a mainline carrier or two flew into PIE now, even if it was RJ service as I usually pass PIE on the drive to/from TPA (depending on my destination in the area). PIE looks like a nice, small, cozy facility. Too bad it is only Allegiant and USA3000, IIRC, that use the airport.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:58 pm

I got it twice in the space of 3 feet in the line waiting for the WTMD in CLT. I had already put my id away after the first check & said, "You've got to be kidding -- it was checked not 90 seconds ago" and I got back "The regulations require that we do it twice." I said, "Well, that's ridiculous - I was JUST checked." "If you want to fly you must comply." SO STUPID. 2 people, 2 checks, 3 feet. What a total waste of time & tax money.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew out of EUG a few weeks ago.

The TSA doesn't confiscate your BP anymore. But the "Revenue Protection Army" highlights four areas on the BPs still, plus a mini-signature on the BP.

Man, I feel safer.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Are they doing the ID check prior to the tram in order to prevent non-passengers from riding the tram since there's nowhere for them to go when they get off the tram on the other end?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:11 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Are they doing the ID check prior to the tram in order to prevent non-passengers from riding the tram since there's nowhere for them to go when they get off the tram on the other end?
That's possible... also, the folks checking IDs prior to the tram also are reminding people left and right of the ziplock carnival and also provide empty ziplock baggies. And maybe they are there to make sure people don't get confused and go to the wrong terminal.

Even with those extra "functions," it still seems like make-work that need not be performed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.