Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Metal Implants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:33 am

Travelling With Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS)

I have just had a Spinal Cord Stimulator (SCS) implanted in my back; the system consists of two wires implanted either side of my spine (each about 450mm long), a controller/battery pack implanted in my lower back (probably about 50mm in diameter and 15mm thick), a hand held remote control (about the size of a Nokia 3310) and a charging station for the implant's battery. This is in addition to previously implanted metalwork (two rods, one plate and eleven screws).

I'm pretty certain that this lot will set off the airport security metal detectors; I will carry a card with a description of the system and a phone number in case of issues at security, but to avoid any major problems should I proactively inform any (or all) of: airline staff at the check-in desk, staff at passport control, security staff before I proceed through the metal detectors and/or when put my hand baggage on the belt, airline staff at the gate and/or at boarding, the CSM on board?

FWIW my next two trips are LGW-Alicante and LHR-Bangkok-Phuket. I think I'll steer clear of the USA for the forseeable future, though .
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

I have staples in my tibia. I've never set anything off.

However, don't forget to tell your new ortho doc about it. "Hey, is there something you forgot to mention?"
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
So, are you not a Pre-Check member? If so, use the AIT and never have to worry about getting felt up. Why would you use a WTMD that inevitably alarms when you can avoid that. You don't have to tell anyone you have implants. They often ask, and I just tell them I need to use this machine. They seldom push it, but they ask about 8 times if I have anything in my pockets. . . And on international flights just suck it up and enjoy the pat down and additional wanding that is inevitable.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Hi, tagging onto this thread after finding it in a search. I have 2 titanium TKRs. After getting the first last year I happily traveled to China and Japan, as well as domestically in the US. No real problems. I did set off the magnetometer with the one knee, and also do get "false positives" alerts in other places on my body in the scanner, so I am fine with being wanded and patted. (In the USA I am PreCheck.)

My question is about "doctor's letter" and Australia. The Australia equivalent to TSA's web site says "you should bring" a doctor's letter about the implant. http://travelsecure.infrastructure.g...-and-aids.aspx

Does one really need such a thing in SYD airport?!? I was under the impression I would just tell them I have TKRs and they would scan, wand, pat me however they wanted.

Do I need to get something for SYD-Nadi and SYD-SFO departures? I have copies of the surgical reports but my doctor says a letter is nonsense and I tend to agree. They still need to screen me!

Thanks.

Last edited by Welltended3; Jun 28, 2017 at 6:52 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by welltended
Hi, tagging onto this thread after finding it in a search. I have 2 titanium TKRs. After getting the first last year I happily traveled to China and Japan, as well as domestically in the US. No real problems. I did set off the magnetometer with the one knee, and also do get "false positives" alerts in other places on my body in the scanner, so I am fine with being wanded and patted. (In the USA I am PreCheck.)

My question is about "doctor's letter" and Australia. The Australia equivalent to TSA's web site says "you should bring" a doctor's letter about the implant. http://travelsecure.infrastructure.g...-and-aids.aspx

Does one really need such a thing in SYD airport?!? I was under the impression I would just tell them I have TKRs and they would scan, wand, pat me however they wanted.

Do I need to get something for SYD-Nadi and SYD-SFO departures? I have copies of the surgical reports but my doctor says a letter is nonsense and I tend to agree. They still need to screen me!

Thanks.
I have some hardware in one ankle ((bolts, post-fusion) & have been in & out of SYD a number of times, including earlier this month, w/o any questions/problems/etc. IIRC, sometimes I mention the bolts, sometimes not; doesn't seem to make any difference.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:08 am

maybe the sensitivity of the metal detectors vary from one to the other.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Depends what kind of metal you have implanted

understanding and experience is that it similar to MRI – Ferrous based metal will set off a detector; titanium based metal will not. DH has a titanium implantsp in his wrist and has never set off a machine.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:34 pm

Perhaps amount of titanium..

Thanks, all. I assure you that when I had one titanium TKR I did set off airport metal detectors. I am sure 2 will also. The entire prosthesis is titanium because I have a cobalt allergy.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
interesting

Thanks, all. I assure you that when I had one titanium TKR I did set off airport metal detectors. I am sure 2 will also. The entire prosthesis is titanium because I have a cobalt allergy.

my DH has a TON ot titanium and never sets off detectors anywhere.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:14 pm

Wow. Well, I do since I got the new knee. I was surprised because I thought titanium would not register, but mine does.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
... I have 2 titanium TKRs. ... I did set off the magnetometer with the one knee, and also do get "false positives" alerts in other places on my body in the scanner, so I am fine with being wanded and patted. (In the USA I am PreCheck.)

I live in Sydney and so fly out of there very frequently, both domestic and international. I also have a titanium hip replacement, which sets off the metal detector about 1/3 of the time. Some detectors are definitely more sensitive than others; there is one in the domestic terminal which never alarms, while there is one in CBR which always does.

You don't need a letter, card or anything; I have a plastic card which I tried to show the first time but it doesn't matter.

Here's my routine for SYD int'l departures (note some differences from the US).
  1. Leave your shoes on but remove jacket, belt (if metal), stuff from pockets. Remove laptop and liquids from carry-on.
  2. You'll be directed either to the WTMD or to the body scanner. In Australia, you cannot opt out of the body scanner if they tell you to use it.
If WTMD
  1. If you set off the metal detector, explain that you have a metal knee replacement. You'll be wanded and get a light patdown. Although the checkpoint is not typically crowded, please, on principle, insist that you stand so you can see your belongings. I'm trying to train them.
  2. You may also get an ETD swab but it never alarms. Never.
If Nude-o-scope
  1. Roll your eyes and try to walk through like it's a metal detector. Grumble a bit about stupid new technology.
  2. Again, insist that you are able to see your bags as they come out of the x-ray. I push this as hard as I can - sometimes they pick up all my trays and hold them where I can see them, but it's up to your own comfort level how much fuss you make.
  3. You may also get an ETD swab.

In the 10 years since my hip replacement, I have never been asked to remove my shoes at the international terminal, even when alarming the WTMD, and it's difficult for me to do so. So again, just keep your shoes on.

Good luck.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Thank you, RadioGirl! Sounds like what I do elsewhere. And I will remind them about my belongings!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:38 pm

flying with metal (surgical)

This will be the first time that my husband has flown post surgery. After having metal implanted do you need to bring any sort of note or certification along with you? The extent of the implant is a metal "button" at his elbow and the scar is still pretty obvious.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
My colleague with two metal knees just gets wanded. I think this is a missed opportunity for him to drop his pants and show TSA his scars, but he won't do it for some reason.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Tell the TSS officer that you are unable to go through metal detector because of the metal in your body. I have 2 titanium knee replacements. You will have to go through the X-ray thing and possibly a pat down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.