Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Handcuffs Allowed In Carry-on Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by kona1K
Come on, the TSA is not all that bad. Remember the first exception they made so quickly when all this silly liquid stuff was first introduced...KY Jelly.
I was gonna comment, but I decided not to.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:13 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by kona1K
Come on, the TSA is not all that bad. Remember the first exception they made so quickly when all this silly liquid stuff was first introduced...KY Jelly.
For medicinal use only, of course.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
can u really bring handcuffs around? i know they are classfied as prohibited items in several countries. i would be happy to bring them as checked baggage into usa.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Angry Handcuff equivalents

I have had packing tape confiscated because it "could be used for restraint". So could dental tape and nylons, of course, but so far they haven't picked up on that. Reminds me of the days we took lingerie and jeans to Russia to exchange for decorative items, and the customs officers just took them or the soldiers who visited our rooms at the Rossia to view the parades removed them from our luggage to treat themselves and their sweethearts. Ah, a little power in people with little minds but greedy souls!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:33 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by Michelle2385; Dec 27, 2006 at 10:44 am
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by landrew
I have had packing tape confiscated because it "could be used for restraint"
Exactly. Lest we forget that it was a group of passengers who restrained Richard Reid, the infamous “shoe-bomber.” If the TSA had any sense, they’d realize that security would actually be enhanced if passengers were well-equipped to restrain someone who tried to take control of a plane.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Michelle2385
The last time I looked, handcuffs were not on the prohibited item list. My husband and I have always packed them in our checked baggage and, invariably, that particular piece of luggage always returns with one of those TSA stickers saying that the bag had been searched. However, the handcuffs were never confiscated. We're planning a weekend trip and we'd like to take only carry-on luggage. I'm sure that those handcuffs would be quite visible on the x-ray. Does anyone know if they will be confiscated?
Keep us posted as to how the weekend went
Old May 12, 2009, 10:49 pm

Talking Handcuffs/Strait Jacket

This my sound funny but it's 100% true. I have a very serious sleepwalking condition and I have to travel, I also have a type of seizure disorder that can bring on my sleepwalking. I have a very serious Strength level/Violence with the sleepwalking. I have to call ahead and arrange for a Air Marshall to act as a traveling companion. I use the wheelchair/handicap entrance at the air port and meat up with the Air Marshall. I take several pairs of handcuffs in my carry on and also a strait jacket/hobbles. If i have any problems I lean over, tell the Marshall and we use the equipment. Cover it up with a blanket, and no one it the wiser, THE MEDIA IS TOLD IT WAS A SEIZURE AND THEY IGNORE IT.
I know this is not the answer to your question, But it is possible for med conditions like mine (Rare).

This is true and i have done it several times having to use my equipment on a plane itself. thought you might like the ironic situation. I DO NO want to have to take them, You do. Funny huh?

PM me if you ever want to talk

wlnelson

Last edited by wlnelson; May 14, 2009 at 6:11 pm Reason: Remove e-mail address to protect privacy. Plz use PM to contact the poster.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:12 pm
KTW

If you let someone take them and or check them, then the answer is no. @:-)
Old May 13, 2009, 11:06 pm

Absolutely okay in your carry-on.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Reviving this really old thread. This Tuesday at GVA, saw an elderly couple pleading their case ("we carry it everywhere in the states"), but it was confiscated.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:52 pm
YKF

The police state continues. Non banned item being taken away
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
"Please give me a written statement that $ITEM is not permitted to be carried on a plane."
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Be aware that possession of handcuffs is not legal in some countries.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I have no idea how I missed this thread the first time around. Maybe the OP will come back eight years later and give us a trip report.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.