Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does the TSA really care whether my deodorant stick is dry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC

I'm going to be traveling for the first time with a deodorant stick on Friday. It looks like the typical deodorant case that can hold either dry deodorant or a gel? How do they know? Do they care?

I'm NOT using a plastic bag for the thing. Anyone have any trauma over dry deodorant sticks not in the baggie?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I had my baggie with a bunch of liquids in my backpack the other day (forgot to take it out). Didn't seem to make a difference
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:36 am

There is no way to know if it will be a problem or not. It seems like enforcement of the rules depends on the mood of the TSO. I have had an empty water bottle taken by one, but no problems on other flights.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A 6oz. can of shaving gel in carry-on has passed through many an airport where it's technically prohibited. The container looks large enough to hold 12 ozs and, from the outside, seems 2/3 metal and 1/3 plastic with the container full of shaving gel.

A 2 to 4 oz. "stick" of "clear" gel deodrant has not yet been "singled out" from the plastic baggie by security screeners anywhere -- even when they've looked at the bag rather closely.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a dispute at BOS about my gelstick. I maintained it was "one piece" not the gloppy kind og gel. He maintained solid deodorant is powdery/flaky and that mine was a giant piece of gel material.

Could it be that the front line people are just really tired of arguing over these things?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Could it be that the front line people are just really tired of arguing over these things?
THEY started it!!!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by txrus
THEY started it!!!
To be fair .... they are stuck with enforcing it. This asinine policy was "started" by a bunch of bureaucrats who, as always, don't have to live with the results.

I'm not excusing the many screeners who get off on nitpicking in pointing that out.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I'm going to be traveling for the first time with a deodorant stick on Friday. It looks like the typical deodorant case that can hold either dry deodorant or a gel? How do they know? Do they care?

I'm NOT using a plastic bag for the thing. Anyone have any trauma over dry deodorant sticks not in the baggie?
because it could be C4 instead of right gaurd !!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:32 am

I have a travel size stick of deodorant that I do NOT put in my plastic baggie. It is the solid kind. I have been through many security screenings with it NOT in the bag, many of them slower airports where I am the only one in the queue so it's not like they were "too busy" to determine solid vs gel.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83
I have a travel size stick of deodorant that I do NOT put in my plastic baggie. It is the solid kind. I have been through many security screenings with it NOT in the bag, many of them slower airports where I am the only one in the queue so it's not like they were "too busy" to determine solid vs gel.
Thank GOODNESS we're all okay. Citizen, you could be causing a world of harm with that deodorant.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler

Who cares what the TSA thinks! We just care that you're WEARING deodorant.

They'll prob. just lump it in with gel and tell you you can't bring it. Easier on them to do it that way.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:40 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
To be fair .... they are stuck with enforcing it. This asinine policy was "started" by a bunch of bureaucrats who, as always, don't have to live with the results.

I'm not excusing the many screeners who get off on nitpicking in pointing that out.
And while they are enforcing the rules they also make up their own. There was a thread here a while ago about a woman who got her rock crystal deodorant confiscated. The screener made up the rule that all deodorants were forbidden. That screener didn't care about liquids or gels or solids, he just took the easy way out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.