TSA took my cancer medication away

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
TSA took my cancer medication away

It was my fault for somehow forgetting my prescription and note from my doctor, but a little consideration would have been nice. There is absolutely no excuse, security or otherwise for doing that.

I escalated to two supervisors, but they refused to allow it.

This was at T7 LAX for a flight to SIN.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:56 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Please talk to the AMA about filing a complaint.

This disgusting harassment does nothing for security and has now endangered yet another life: yours.

Up yours, Kip Hawley! Up yours.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Ah yes, T7, where the TSA gets offended if you have FC U.K. brand toiletries in your quart sized zip-lock bag.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:03 am

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
I don't get it, were they liquid meds? Because if not, why would they have even noticed or cared if in pill form? I've often decanted my meds into one of those daily dispensers for a weeklong trip to ensure I have the right amounts with me and have never had a problem. The extra Draconian measures are going to really harm or even kill someone one day!
Old Oct 21, 2006, 2:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given all the cycles of changes at airports in the US (and for flights to the US) -- and for those other patsies adopting lowest common denominator nonsense -- I am not surprised that people are being separated from their medicine. This nonsense is to be expected.

Separating travelers from their medicine at US (or other) airports is disgusting; it's also useless for the TSA to treat people this way, especially as the TSA is mostly incapable of identifying what is a legitimate prescription or not, or what is the actual medicine or not.

Perhaps eventually there will be a news story of some person ending up in a hospital (or even dead) -- or at least poorer -- because the TSA separated a person from their medicine again and/or basically compelled them to enrich the pharmaceutical companies more than usual.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 21, 2006 at 2:23 am
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
It was my fault for somehow forgetting my prescription and note from my doctor, but a little consideration would have been nice. There is absolutely no excuse, security or otherwise for doing that.

Don't make yourself into a victim - it was not your fault. (Don't forget that one poster here who is a screener has poo-pooed the practice of bringing a note from your doctor.)

Please, please report this to the CA Board of Medical Examiners, to your own doctor, the American Cancer Society and - don't laugh at me - the pharmaceutical company that manufactures the drug. Yes, they have an interest in patients using their drugs, but they also have a need to be seen as "good guys." If pharmaceutical companies come out against the practice of TSA taking meds away from travelers, they are going to look good to a large number of people, travelers and non-travelers alike.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:36 am

As Jonesing, earlier in this thread, even said, this doesn't make any sense. Granted, TSA usually doesn't make the most sense, but they've flat-out stated that medication in pill form is okay and, so long as it's in prescription containers (which some people don't even bother doing and that doesn't cause problems), doesn't need to be declared at security checkpoints.

This is alarming to me. Not just because TSA would go so far as to deprive someone--especially a cancer patient--of their medication, but because I heavily depend on a number of medications (all pill form), and I'll be traveling to Canada this winter. The last thing I want is for those medications to be taken away from me, either by TSA or perhaps customs. Although I doubt the latter (especially Canadian customs) would do that, it's still a concern on my mind. I need these medications.

For those of us who require medication, traveling can be a very difficult event. TSA has made it even more difficult with their rules and regulations regarding medicine and so forth.

I agree with the previous poster, Doober, in what s/he said. Report this action to all the key groups Doober listed (and maybe even go to the media with this story as well), and see what happens. Maybe nothing will come of it, or maybe something will. The point is that you will have tried, and hopefully TSA--and those specific TSA agents who did the deed--will get slammed for behaving in this shameful manner.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:22 am

This is an interesting situation. I mean, what would the TSA rule if a child, for example, was taking liquid antibiotics.

I know the answer, but it's crazy to think that the TSA would/could/should make those kinds of decisions.

Rita
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:31 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I would report this to your local media outlets. If you can get the story on TV, it will be good for you. Also, the TSA web site specifically states that you DO NOT need a prescription tag that matches the name of the passenger.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:00 am

All I have to say is that that's SICK. So sorry
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
I've heard many horror stories about LAX, but this takes the cake!! What idiots! Make sure as you are writing complaints that you also include a copy to the airline that you were flying on that day. Send a copy to local at airport as well as main headquarters. They need to know how TSA is treating their customers.

Just out of curiosity, what was TSA's reasoning for depriving you of your meds?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:38 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T7, where I was greeted by a picture of Our Leader, GWB, in immigration last summer.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps the Surgeon General needs to put out a new emergency health advisory: "SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Quitting the TSA Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health".
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:33 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd go the news media route. This is outrageous.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This takes the cake! Of course, I also saw one woman have to remove her infusion pump and remove the batteries to show the agents it was OK for travel (SLC.) When did these folks become qualified to make life-impacting medical decisions!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.